Homemade holsters

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by BLCKWLF, Apr 17, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

If you have made your own holster, post a picture of it. Share some info on it.

image-1940567158.jpg

After I polished it up...

image-1213163330.jpg

Before I polished it up...

I made it from some alligator stamped cowhide I had left over from another project. I sewed it using sinew and polished it with regular black shoe polish.

2. chadzilla

chadzilla New Member

Dude that looks sweet! Nice work! That inspires me--may have to try to make one. I have zero experience stitching leather--is it a pain?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Take your time, I punch each hole with a nail one at a time... Takes its toll on the fingers but the end result is very rewarding.

4. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

My next holster will be an IWB holster.

5. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

These are my first two holsters, I still use them today. Others have come a long way in quality, I need to get a pic of the next one.

Attached Files:

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Nice! You form the kydex yourself?

7. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

A shot of me wearing my holster, and how well it conceals.

Attached Files:

8. i wish i still had pictures of all of the ones i made. These days i don't bother, I go to Mike P. Nobody makes a better holster.

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I even made a mag holder to match. I would like to invest in several other holsters I have seen but they cost money, and while I have supplies sitting in my garage, I will continue to make my own, at least for now.

image-3490543750.jpg

Pic from an EDC thread.

10. Trotac

Trotac New Member

Nice work!
    Next thing you know you'll have a business license and a 6 week backlog...;)

11. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I'm not quite looking at that kind if hobby... Lol. Or at least that magnitude... Lol

12. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Thanks blackwolf. Yeah, Kydex is so easy to work with it is simple. If you need to adjust or reform it just heat it back up and try again.

A small toaster oven or a heat gun is all you need to get it soft enough to form. I use either a 2" thick piece of foam to press form the Kydex or a vacuum bag and my shop vac. The shop vac works the best if you can keep from melting the bag LOL. A cheap pair of leather gloves will help keep your fingers from getting toasted.

All of the materials that I needed to make several holsters cost about $150 to get started.

13. When I was making them I heated the kydex in an easy bake oven

14. Trotac

Trotac New Member

I said something very similar three years ago. Keep up the good work.

15. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Finished the IWB!

image-3158665144.jpg

Really comfortable... Practically invisible too...

16. southpaw37

southpaw37 New Member

All though these are very nice holsters there are no safety's retentions.

17. One more thing to fail in a fight. Most home makers of kydex holsters use tension adjustments to ensure a gun will not draw without considerable force.

18. photogmack

photogmack New Member

Like what Nuckinfuts said, my homemade kydex tuck holster takes a fair amount of tension to draw. Very sturdy.

19. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

The raw leather that I used is pretty grippy, it takes a little strength to get the gun out of them. Besides the IWB uses the belt to adjust tension. I don't wear these often, I usually wear my level 2 serpa for that very reason.