Glock Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have made your own holster, post a picture of it. Share some info on it.

Glove Gas Auto part Safety glove Gun accessory

After I polished it up...

Glove Product Sleeve Sports gear Safety glove

Before I polished it up...

I made it from some alligator stamped cowhide I had left over from another project. I sewed it using sinew and polished it with regular black shoe polish.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dude that looks sweet! Nice work! That inspires me--may have to try to make one. I have zero experience stitching leather--is it a pain?

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chadzilla said:
Dude that looks sweet! Nice work! That inspires me--may have to try to make one. I have zero experience sticking leather--is it a pain?
Take your time, I punch each hole with a nail one at a time... Takes its toll on the fingers but the end result is very rewarding.

·
Registered
547 Posts
These are my first two holsters, I still use them today. Others have come a long way in quality, I need to get a pic of the next one.

Attachments

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Levelcross said:
These are my first two holsters, I still use them today. Others have come a long way in quality, I need to get a pic of the next one.
Nice! You form the kydex yourself?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
i wish i still had pictures of all of the ones i made. These days i don't bother, I go to Mike P. Nobody makes a better holster.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I even made a mag holder to match. I would like to invest in several other holsters I have seen but they cost money, and while I have supplies sitting in my garage, I will continue to make my own, at least for now.

Brown Beige Slide sandal Tints and shades Handgun holster

Pic from an EDC thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I even made a mag holder to match. I would like to invest in several other holsters I have seen but they cost money, and while I have supplies sitting in my garage, I will continue to make my own, at least for now.

View attachment 5015

Pic from an EDC thread.
Nice work!
Next thing you know you'll have a business license and a 6 week backlog...;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice! You form the kydex yourself?
Thanks blackwolf. Yeah, Kydex is so easy to work with it is simple. If you need to adjust or reform it just heat it back up and try again.

A small toaster oven or a heat gun is all you need to get it soft enough to form. I use either a 2" thick piece of foam to press form the Kydex or a vacuum bag and my shop vac. The shop vac works the best if you can keep from melting the bag LOL. A cheap pair of leather gloves will help keep your fingers from getting toasted.

All of the materials that I needed to make several holsters cost about $150 to get started.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
southpaw37 said:
All though these are very nice holsters there are no safety's retentions.
One more thing to fail in a fight. Most home makers of kydex holsters use tension adjustments to ensure a gun will not draw without considerable force.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The raw leather that I used is pretty grippy, it takes a little strength to get the gun out of them. Besides the IWB uses the belt to adjust tension. I don't wear these often, I usually wear my level 2 serpa for that very reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts