Glock Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Carry on my friends!!!!
974 Posts
Ever since the Cheshire Home Invasion (the one I mention in my signature) happened here everybodys been arming themselves especially since it hit home. God forbid I don't instantly kill a home invasion intruder and he hurt's my family or a friend of my family then it would be a real life Quinton Tarintino movie.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
City Data is a good way to get local stats also. When we were in a custody battle for my step son I dug into neighborhood statistics and found out that the fathers area was 1 in 9 for home invasion, with 4 of those likely to result in injury or death. I also learned about other crimes, school stats, etc. It did a breakdown for me between our area and his and lets just say we won that argument.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
But the FBI says violent crime is down... :rolleyes:

·
Archer
2 Posts
US Residential Home fires / US Home Invasion Statistics

The following statistics were taken from NCVS (National Victimization Data Survey) and UCS (Uniform Crime Reports).

The FBI Stats say:
· A home invasion occurs every 12 seconds( ~ 7 to 1 over fires).
· There are over 2.4 million homes invaded every year (~ 6.2 to 1 over fires).
· 38% of all violent assaults occur during a home invasion.
· 60% of all violent rapes occur during a home invasion (combined stats for both male and female rape victims).
· No data on murders was found
· Home Invasions happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

· Over 3.5 million home burglaries occur every year
· 13% of homes are burglarized per year
· 19.2% of rental properties are burglarized per year
· 85% of all break-ins are through a door
· 67% of all burglaries involved forcible entry
· 70% of all burglaries involve residential properties
· Burglaries happen between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

If these statistics were not staggering enough: The FBI states that ~ 12% of burglars are ever caught and convicted.

The following statistics were taken from the US Fire Administration Fire-Safe site (FEMA) and the National Fire Protection Agency 2011 reporting statistics.

• A home fire occurs every 85 seconds.
  • There were 386,000 residential fires in 2011, this number accounted for 80 percent of all structure fires.
  • U.S. home structure fires In 2011, U.S. fire departments responded to 370,000 364,500 home structure1 fires.
  • Fires caused 13,910 civilian injuries.
  • Fires caused 2,520 civilian deaths.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
The following statistics were taken from NCVS (National Victimization Data Survey) and UCS (Uniform Crime Reports).

The FBI Stats say:
· A home invasion occurs every 12 seconds( ~ 7 to 1 over fires).
WElcome to the forum.

The part about home invasions. Can you link the actual table or abstract that states this? From what I remember the UCS does not list "Home Invasion" as a category.

From the latest NCVS (you can view the cached version of the PDF through google):
Because the NCVS does not determine offender motivation for entering an occupied household, the survey cannot address the more stringent application of the term “home invasion” that includes offender intent. Additionally, the NCVS does not distinguish between a household member who is present when the offender gains entry and one who arrived home unexpectedly while the burglary was in progress
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nt/pub/pdf/vdhb.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

TIA,
D

·
Archer
2 Posts
WElcome to the forum.

The part about home invasions. Can you link the actual table or abstract that states this? From what I remember the UCS does not list "Home Invasion" as a category.

From the latest NCVS (you can view the cached version of the PDF through google):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nt/pub/pdf/vdhb.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

TIA,
D
Thanks for the google link, I had not seen it before and will read it in detail.

Regarding your request for the supporting data; I encourage you to do all the research your heart desires, and if you are looking to verify the numbers you’ll need to go past the UCS and into the expanded offense data, then check on each and every data table link, save the excel spreadsheets and filter the tables for key words like “location” and “residence” then you can begin building a picture that is clear as mud. Also, unless you can find an easier way of doing this than I, you will need to look at the total FBI statistics and calculate the percentages into and out of the excel spreadsheets provided on FBI.gov, this should get you some real numbers you can chew on.

On another note; this is not an easy thing to do as the FBI does not specifically use the term “Home Invasion”… this may be an effort to not upset the public, or maybe they did not think of it, or more than likely; it's simply a tool to make any research difficult enough that the average Joe (like me) will give up before they can get any real numbers out of the system. What will help is to understand the FBI does use more politically correct toned down language like “Robbery, Location, (Residence)” as one example of how to start building your excel filters.

Happy hunting!
The Archer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts