Home Invasion-Self Defense

Discussion in 'Second Amendment & Legal' started by fedempl, Mar 29, 2012.

1. fedempl

fedempl New Member

A home invasion situation in a home in NW Shelby Co. near the area (formerly town?) of Pleasant View. The homeowner gave several warnings verbally to leave. Had his hand inside the door to try to open it. Homeowner went to retrieve gun, gave one more warning then shot perp through the door. Perp was shot in teh hip and exited through the butt, no charges will be filed as homeowner was protecting his home.

2. I'm glad no charges were filed but when you shoot someone through the door thats a sticky situation.

I would have waited a little longer and aimed higher

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Glad it turned out OK...

Home invasions are the newest type of crime in the Philadelphia area.

My girls and I don't answer the door without a firearm, and a plan:

Screen door is already locked , as is the steel front door. Dog is barking,

and motion sensor light is already activated. Person at the door is locked out

and in a spot light...with a dog that is ready to be released...and the residents armed.

They ain't gotta chance...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

All that's missing is a video camera covering the door and sides of the door :)

5. SHOOTER13

Like your Fortress of Solitude...;)

6. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Man I'd love my own fortress!

7. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

While the castle doctrine dictates that they be in your home after forcible entry, or other unknown entry, in order for you to use lethal force. Standard Self defense dictates that your life be threatened, having announced that you are armed and will shoot, and the attacker/perpetrator persists in breaking and entering, or otherwise hostile movement toward you, that lethal force is allowed because lethal/harmful intent is assumed if they persist after an announcement. Otherwise they have to literally threaten you or be visibly armed for you to shoot them through the door.

8. brannon67

brannon67 New Member

People have to understand(I know its crazy laws) but when a person is trying to break into your home, they are not there for a social call, or there to talk to you or play with you. It a serious matter, especially when you have loved ones there, that you have to protect from harm. Are you really going to wait until the idiot totally comes in on you. Im not, sorry. If he has the gonads to break into my home, and threaten my life and my family's life, then I have the gonads to shoot to kill. PERIOD! And ask questions later.

9. brannon67

brannon67 New Member

I would have had my gun ready, but as soon as I saw the hand of the scum that was trying to get inside my house, I would have had to pick up a bat, or anything to hit his hand and hopefully break it. Then shoot him if he proceded inside.

10. brannon67

brannon67 New Member

Home invasions

Everytime I answer the door at home, I have my gun readily avaliable on me somewhere, especially at night, and most of the time during the day when I cant see who is at the door.

11. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Ever since the Cheshire home invasion happened here, a home invasion is justifiable homicide

12. RockoutwithmyGlockout

RockoutwithmyGlockout New Member

In my Michigan self defense class this was covered. We aren't legally able to shoot someone on our porch, or yard. The only thing the retired LEO stated was if you do shoot them on the porch, you'd better drag them into the house!
    This person was lucky charges weren't filed. He possibly should have waited until he gained entry? I also hope he was warned, stop or I'll shoot if you continue. Etc.
    At my house my German Shepard will take care of that persons arm before it got any closer, they would surely think twice!

13. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

In Ohio you could engage him/them while they are obtaining entry. BUT it's all dependent upon the politic climate. With cell phones and cordless phones so prevalent dial 911 if time. Give name, address, and crime in progress. Still attempting entry, engage.

O.R.C. 2901.05 (B)(1)
    A person is presumed to have acted in self defense or defense of another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if the person against whom the defensive force is used is in the process of unlawfully and without privilege to do so entering, or has unlawfully and without privilege to do so entered, the residence or vehicle occupied by the person using the defensive force.

14. brannon67

brannon67 New Member

Yeah, we should invite the intruder in for a cup of tea and a muffin, and sit down and talk to him,a nd ask him what his intent is. Are you going to rob me, beat me, rape my wife, my kids, all the above. What is your intent, I will not know unless you come into MY HOUSE( isnt that ironic). Hmmmmm

15. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

Texas as long as he's on your property. Even on your yard you can shoot him...

Well... It is after all Texas.

16. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

In Georgia, the Castle Law is extended to your property, including your yard. The same thing happened here in Columbus, guy shot the perp through the door and walked away after being questioned for a little while. Also the cops confirmed this, and said if they are in your yard, and you feel your life is being threatened, by all means go ahead and shoot him lol. Most of the cops here are pretty cool as you can tell haha.

17. thinkricky

thinkricky Member Supporter

Yep. Exactly.

18. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

For AZ...

13-405. Justification; use of deadly physical force
    A. A person is justified in threatening or using deadly physical force against another:
    1. If such person would be justified in threatening or using physical force against the other under section 13-404, and
    2. When and to the degree a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force.
    B. A person has no duty to retreat before threatening or using deadly physical force pursuant to this section if the person is in a place where the person may legally be and is not engaged in an unlawful act.

19. lrausch

lrausch New Member

This now seems to have become the norm for most of us these day's. Criminal's are becoming more violent and home burglaries seem to be transforming into home invasion acts. Not just to steal valuables but to harm the home owners and family's. I guess I have been wondering for some time now, what has gone wrong? Just that people have become more greedy or violent by nature or is it a failure of the court system with more liberal law's that return criminals to the street to fast and easy. Well, I guess what only matters now is what we can control and protect. That's why I am the "Sheep Dog" that watches over the sheep and I am bond by both Duty & Honor to protect them from the wolves.

20. SHOOTER13

Well put Ira...!!