home defense shotgun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by GunnerGSP, Apr 12, 2012.

1. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Hey everyone...I am looking to pick up a friend for my G23. Right now, I am considering a Remington 870 Express or a Mossberg 590a1.

Does anyone or perhaps someone you know have one or both of these?

If so, any recommendations or problems to report? For instance, I have heard of some 870 owners having significant rust issues.

I have done a fair amount of research on each, but wanted to get some opinions.

2. Both are excellent shotguns and either will serve you well. If you are left handed, the tang safety on the Mossy is nice, but if you put a pistol grip stock on it you can't work the safety without giving up your shooting grip. I carried an 870 for many years working in a maximum security prison and am so used to it, I am biased, but I have seen them take abuse that is unbelievable. So that's why there is an 870 at one end of the house and an old 12 gauge side by side at the other.

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

The 590a1 is what we are issued at work. We have run into alot of them breaking off the mag tube at the reciever, apparently the tubes are pretty thin at the threading there, and very much rough use they just snap off leaving the pump's slide in your hand and the mag tube with it's contents laying around your feet.

I've used 870s for hunting since I was a preteen, never had a problem with an 870.

4. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Good feedback. I am surprised to hear that about the 590a1.

5. wnctroutbum

wnctroutbum New Member

I have a 870 tactical with a Mesa 6 shell side saddle and a surfire G2X tactical flash light and I love it. 870's have been used for years in law enforcement and in military and have held up really well.

6. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

I like the 870 personally. This is my second one. I've added an ATI 6 position collapsible stock, 6 shot side saddle, and a ProTec laser/flashlight attachment. I use it for home defense, but also take it to the range and practice hitting moving targets at the trap and skeet range. They've been around for a long time and I feel very comfortable with it. I'm only 5'4, but I have no problem shooting buckshot or even slugs out of it. And take down is a piece of cake. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Attached Files:

7. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

I have an 870, I would tell you to get one as well. It's affordable, it eats any and all rounds, and there are more parts and accessories on the market compared to most shotguns. I almost want to say its the Glock of shotguns, but that's me. And any weapon will have rust issues if you don't clean and oil it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

I totally agree with Chilly613.

9. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Nice looks great

10. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

I agree about keeping it clean and oiled. It just seems that what I read indicated the rust was too quick to appear on the 870...at least on recent models.

Although it seems the 870 is getting high marks here.

11. SgtShowtime

SgtShowtime New Member

I have experience with both Remington and Mossberg My department trained us on the 870 and I own a Mossberg 500 personally. If I wore a blindfold and shot each one, I cant guarantee that I could tell the difference. The real debate is in customization. Both are very popular and have hundreds of aftermarket products. I'll bet that any accessory you find on Remington is available for Mossberg and vice versa. Make sure you explore the do's and don'ts of tweaking your weapon. One of the most important accessories is a weapon mounted light because it is impossible to hold a flashlight and a shotgun. Many people like pistol grips but I would never own a shotgun without a butstock personally. A sling is important too because if you need to go hands on for whatever reason, you need some method for retaining your weapon. Does anyone else agree that weapon customizations are more important than brand names?

12. c1328chase

c1328chase Member

My biggest reason for currently having an 870 is the safety. The safety on the 870 is immediately above and behind the trigger. The 500 is on top of the receiver and must be actuated by removing your hand from a normal shooting grip. I own both. Friend has the 500.

Attached Files:

13. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

I have an FNH Police Tactical 12 Ga. Pump, Saiga 12 Tactical and Mossberg 930 SPX. The SPX and FNH feed anything. I'm more efficient and faster with the SPX.

The 870 is widely used and has a lot of support, like a Glock. No problems with those.

14. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Thought I'd throw mine up for the hell of it.

Attached Files:

15. desertchris

desertchris New Member

I have a 500 works great no problems

16. I have a mossburg 590 and access to a Remington 870. Both are great and I really hate comparing the two.

17. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Both are great. I personally prefer the 870, easier to do a slug change over.

18. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer the Mossberg 590 because of the safety. I've inadvertently pushed the safety off on our department 870's. Granted the guns are old and well worn, but I don't like it. It's just too easy to hit it. Our leftie shooters have pushed the safety on, which could be a no-no in a bad situation. My hands are big enough that I have no problem getting to the Mossberg safety.

19. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

Good point...

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm a +1 on the Mossberg...ergonomics and aftermarket parts / accessories.

My personal bodyguard...8+1 12 gauge pump with a 20" barrel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012