Home defense / range run

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by brianrose, Feb 28, 2012.

1. brianrose

brianrose New Member

Just taking a poll: G17 or G19?

2. BORIS

BORIS New Member

G17. For home and range the larger gun will ne better.

3. No CC i'd say G17, why not have the extra ammo just in case.
    Or you could get a G22

4. Glock19

Glock19 New Member

G19. I use cheap Remington UMC ammo at the range and Federal (+P+ ) 115 grain JHP for defense. I read about this ammo on a law enforcement ballistics report online. That report mentioned a few different brands with similar specs. The Federal turned out to have a good deal on Cheaper Than Dirt. I love the 19, but am considering using .45 out of concerns about wall over penetration.

5. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

19 for me all day! Feels better to me.

6. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

Same here on the ammo but went up to 124 grain on the federal

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Between the '17 and the '19, we are only talking about what, a half-inch difference in barrel length? Since CC is not a consideration, I'd recommend the '17. That extra half-inch helps allow the bullet to develop the maximum pressure of the cartridge (whatever is loaded) and the longer barrel helps with accuracy shots, with 2 rounds more in the stock magazine than the '19. Some practice with good retention techniques should negate any disadvantage of a larger weapon in a struggle.

For close-in applications like home defense or CC, one could look at 90-gr XTP bullets zooming out at 1,500+fps on the low end or 147-gr XTP bullets flying at 900+fps at the high end. I would have my reservations about the 90-gr bullets' ability to knock down poppers, though.

8. techiej

techiej New Member

I went withe the 17 as it felt better in my hands...can't go wrong with either one.