Home defense question(s)

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by buddy157, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I see your point and agree. It could also be kids involved in adolescent hijinks that could get killed or maimed. They would still deserve harsh punishment, but not death.

2. This is kinda a different thread...

I’m gonna say is this...if I have to defend my family, my self, and/or my property against a threat to life and limb, I want the best dang weapon I can get.

Southlake asked if we were having this discussion over $600...I’d suggest we are having it over less that $200 (the difference between the Taurus and the Glock)...and that’s nuts.

Quality gun, quality ammo, preplanned steps to mitigate invaders, and basic tactics training to act effectively and make good hits...

all else is just noise

3. MisterX

MisterX New Member

I own guns for self-defense. If my life is at on the line, I want the best tool for the job. Reliability is the first priority. I’d choose the Glock 17 above any other autoloader. I would never depend on a Taurus for such matters.

LElliott and buddy157 like this.
  4. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

The newer G2, G3’s from them seem to be a change for the better. I cannot disagree with the Glock logic. My choice is the 20 for home defense. As far a pistols go. Pistol isn’t my go to for home defense though.

LElliott and Greywood like this.
  5. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

In this situation I'd definitely go with the glock first, but if all I had was a Taurus (at least any of the few I've owned), I'd trust it pretty easily. I had a PT92 with a 1911-style safety a long time ago that I still wish I hadn't sold, and the current 450C I have has been literally 100% reliable with everything. Being a five-shot revolver it's not an ideal defensive gun, but absolutely a trustworthy one.

I did experience one Taurus that was total crap; some very small 9mm in the early 2000's that a lady had bought & I was trying to teach her to shoot. I think it was called a "24/7" or something like that, a small single stack DA gun. It jammed way too much, and sometimes the magazine would fall out during recoil. Would definitely not trust that one, but the one large auto, one rimfire auto and four centerfire revolvers of theirs that I've owned have all been quite good. I'd still say "go glock first", but that's mostly a law of averages thing.

LElliott likes this.
  6. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Here in Michigan, one must have a CPL/CCW to CC in a vehicle. Insurance companies are like lawyers, a necessary 'evil'. I have a particular distaste for 'Ambulance chasing' lawyers. Bottom feeders IMHO. Unless you have a case that they can make millions on, they wouldn't p!ss in yer face if yer moustache caught fire.

Bayou likes this.
  7. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

Here in Texas your vehicle is considered an extension of your home.

buddy157 and LElliott like this.
  8. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

Because Texas is awesome!!!

Bayou, LElliott and Southlake like this.
  9. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Agreed

Bayou likes this.
  10. Southlake

In Florida, your vehicle, motorcycle, and boat are all covered under castle.

Bayou and LElliott like this.
  11. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

in california, your vehicle IS your home.

Bish1309, buddy157 and BuzzinSATX like this.
  12. Bayou

Bayou Well-Known Member

I can sure see why. Homes prices in Cali are outrageous. I know the weather is beautiful, but with messed up politics, earthquakes, wildfires all taken into account its just not worth it. I’m staying in Texas for good.

Danzig, Olga17 and Southlake like this.
  13. Southlake

Good choice

Bayou likes this.
  14. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Same!

Bayou likes this.
  15. Raymond Rivera Jr.

Raymond Rivera Jr. New Member

I own several Glocks, but my daily carry is a Shadow Systems MR 918. It is almost all Glock internals with the frame, slide, barrel, and trigger being proprietary to Shadow Systems. Their top line pistol is under $1000, pricey, but you can literally buy it and start carrying it without any further modifications. I have over 3000 rounds of many types of ammo through mine without any issues. I do not baby my guns and I do not own safe queens, my guns are all working guns. Here is a guaranty they provide for their firearms in the owner's manual:

"If you are forced to use your Shadow Systems pistol
    in a self-defense situation in the United States, you
    will likely lose possession of your pistol to the
    authorities. If your use of your Shadow Systems
    pistol is deemed legally justified, Shadow Systems
    will replace your pistol free of charge."

No other firearms manufacturer that I know of offers this benefit! The quality of their pistols are extremely worth the cost, which undercuts every custom Glock manufacturers out there with a level of reliability and accuracy that cannot be beat!

Danzig and Southlake like this.
  16. Southlake

Have you checked out the MR 920?

17. Danzig

Texas
    Do they make the Warrior Poet pistol?

Southlake likes this.
  18. Southlake

Good question.

19. buddy157

buddy157 Active Member

i never heard of that company, i will at least browse thier website.

i just checked out thier website, but see no prices?

anyway, the combat would be what i'd consider, as i do not have a use for the barrel extension?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  20. Danzig

Texas
    Answers that question. EB1F0AB5-97E7-4BFE-B439-1C54AA868DC5.jpeg CD82F9E3-0ADD-4343-8586-612A6BD5C817.jpeg

Bish1309, Southlake and buddy157 like this.