Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm a nooby to shooting and to Glocks. I grew up using rifles with my granddad. They were hoping for a grandson but got me instead :) Anyway, I recently purchased a Glock 42 and love it and enjoy practicing and going to the range. In looking for holsters, I realized there aren't many options for women out there. I found a nice soft one I thought was comfortable in the waistband but then several friends started telling me to NEVER use a soft holster for a Glock. One fella sent me this link which was intimidating to say the least. :eek: http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

So now I'm not sure what to get for concealed carry. Can some of you advise me? Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would have to agree. Not just with Glocks but any carry gun. I have used several different types but end up with the Kydex type holsters.
I have used the Crossbreed type, these are the ones with the leather backing and a kydex holster, they are nice and comfortable but are kind of a pain to put on if I am just running out for something. If it's a hassle to put on then most likely I will not use it.
I am attaching a few pics of my current holster that I use for my Glock 30S.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, I love the G42 also but feel strongly that you should have a good holster. The Well Armed Woman has a great kydex holster as does PJ Holster. The Crossbreed is also a great holster. I actually just ordered the belly band from them with the G42 kydex holster. It should arrive tomorrow so I'll let you know how it works.

·
Glockgirl
165 Posts
thanks for the information. I just watched a video on women shooting and it recommended: pants with loops, a sturdy gun belt, a holster with drop and tilted out to be easy to draw. I am going that route to shoot at the range. I have been carrying a soft Galco, now will change up to the Kydex, thanks for sharing this!

·
Registered
92 Posts
thanks for the information. I just watched a video on women shooting and it recommended: pants with loops, a sturdy gun belt, a holster with drop and tilted out to be easy to draw. I am going that route to shoot at the range. I have been carrying a soft Galco, now will change up to the Kydex, thanks for sharing this!
Good point on the belt. I didn't realize how much of a difference it makes until I bought one. I ended up getting a Carhart from Amazon.com and it works well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
From doing a lot of asking I have learnd this:::

The safe holster is one that will prorect the trigger from moving or getting hug up. A soft universal type holster would not be anything you would want to use.
I got this one made exclusivly for my Glock 42. Stiff leather. Rides nice and high "outside" and my 42 fits perfect. I can actually sit and the gun does not bother me at all.
Ronnie

Attachments

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
I don't buy the story about the holster discharging the gun, people have been using nylon fabric holsters for years. If you notice the glock and the holster if the holster was that poor the trigger guard would not have got past the obstruction.

That said I prefer stiff holsters, if they are not stiff enough I make them stiffer by hot waxing them. Hot wax was used for leather armor before guns were invented. It is very tough.

·
Banned
98 Posts
I also have a G42 and carry it dailey in a DeSantis Nemisis holster on the farm,doing all types work. BUT befor doing this,with unloaded 42 in holster,I tried in all ways to trip trigger.Never happen!

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Check out the cornered cat website - they specialize in firearm issues from a woman's perspective.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/practical-issues/how-do-i-hide-this-thing/

My wife carries her S&W Shield in a Crossbreed Purse Defender. Great off-body carry option.

There are a plethora of great on-body options too. I prefer the stealthiness, security and safety of leather/kydex hybrid IWB holsters. If you use a dedicated gun belt and a cover garnet, you're good to go.

I carry my G26 in a FoxX Hybrid.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
IMO, for striker fired guns with no additional safety to prevent trigger movement, kydex for sure. DA/SA guns like a SIG 228, any quality holster is safe.
This. For some reason kydex just gives me reassurance, I don't know why.

A good quality leather belt made for carrying is important. Maybe more important than what holster you pick. I don't know how many $20 belts I bought that stretched, folded, sagged, and tore up before I finally had enough sense buy a quality gun belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would have to agree. Not just with Glocks but any carry gun. I have used several different types but end up with the Kydex type holsters.
I have used the Crossbreed type, these are the ones with the leather backing and a kydex holster, they are nice and comfortable but are kind of a pain to put on if I am just running out for something. If it's a hassle to put on then most likely I will not use it.
I am attaching a few pics of my current holster that I use for my Glock 30S.
What brand is this holster?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I just have to say this.

Leather holsters are fine. I believe the video linked that guy had a worn and abused holster. That was operator fault. Take care of all your equipment. That includes holsters and belts.

At work, we make everyone remove any loose straps from their jackets on their holster side.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Look at a web page called "a cornered cat" is by a women that really knows what she is talking about. I have recommended her to female students and they have had a positive result.

Please be safe
Joethebear

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.