Hollow points

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jelder, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jelder

jelder New Member

Anyone looked into hornady critical duty? Was reading in my handgun mag that they were excepted by the FBI! Any input on this round or how it functions in the PERFECT glock?

2. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    I have these in use. Shot about half the box with no issues through my 26 and 19.

3. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

Shot 25 through my Glock 22 Gen 3 no issues. My first 100 rounds were a variety of rounds. It was a Christmas gift and all I had were left over rounds I had for my Ruger P944TH. I had Hornady Steel match and they worked great as well.

4. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

My OD ammo in all my weapons. I do nice tight groups with the stuff, too.

5. jelder

jelder New Member

Really thinking about considering these in all 3 of my pistols

6. jrob238

jrob238 New Member

I run the hornady critical defense in all my handguns. Good ammo.

7. jelder

jelder New Member

They seem to be identical to me. I really don't know the difference in them

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Thought I read here that the Duty load is hotter...

9. hermdog2004

hermdog2004 New Member

I heard the new Hornady ammo has a better expansion and a flexible tip. I cant really tell the difference between the Critical Duty and Critical Defense. But i have the Critical Defense in my carry gun. And the Hornady Zombie Max is the same as the Hornady Critical Defense I believe.

10. tbhracing

tbhracing New Member

CA
    Tagged. I am also interested in the Hornady ammo line.

11. leadsled

leadsled New Member

ATX
    According to Hornady's website, the Critical Duty is the only ammo to have passed all of the FBI protocols. Wonder where this leaves the TAP? Seesm like the Critical Duty may be a bit over-penetrating for most civilian Self-Defense applications.

Hornady has a great site. It will answer most questions.

http://www.hornady.com/

12. jrob238

jrob238 New Member

The duty ammo is better for penetrating glass, clothing, etc without losing its line or starting to expand too soon. I personally wouldn't recommend it as a self defense round just for the sake of over penetration and the risk of collateral damage. The defense round is a lighter load and will definitely get the job done.

13. jelder

jelder New Member

Just know put this in perspective. Really don't want that. Sticking with my gold dot

14. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

The duty ammo was designed specifically to meet FBI protocol in penetrating sheet metal and glass while maintaining mass, expansion and penetration in humans.

The average penetration with the duty ammo is still only 15" which is within normal range for SD. The main reason for civilians to stick with Critical Defense instead of the duty ammo is lower recoil and a general lack of need to worry about shooting through sheet metal and glass.