Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I have been using Hickok45's Ballistol cleaning method on my glock's and been pretty satisfied with the results but when this came across my google searching I started to question if I am cleaning my guns correctly.

·
1 Year Member
953 Posts
I just do not care for Hickok and do not watch his videos any longer, I have found many BS advise and experience by him IMO but will keep it to myself. But he also gives out some good info but I just do not care for him. He does have a huge following from what I have seen.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Way too much CLP sprayed on that Glock for my liking. There is no way he got all that CLP out of all the nooks and crannies or out of firing pin channel. I'm no expert, but that looks like a failure waiting to happen.

I'll stick with the way Hickok45 cleans his, Been doing it that way to all my Glock since I've owned them with no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cleaning method in this video is not really that bad, but I would not recommend it. The issue is he is putting a lot of CLP in the firing pin chamber area and the ejector relief hole. Unless you detail strip the slide and really blow out that area it can cause clogging. Glock recommends this area remain dry. When the pistol is re-assembled and fired there will be powder residue that will end up in these areas and if it's still moist from CLP it can cause gunk to build up over time. I have no issue with CLP on the front part of the slide. I use alcohol and a Q tip to clean the rear part of the slide.
I hope this is helpful, I know it keeps all 5 of my Glocks running well and one of them is approaching 10,000 rounds. Glock on!

Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF member
IDPA
USPSA
NRA

·
1 Year Member
953 Posts
The cleaning method in this video is not really that bad, but I would not recommend it. The issue is he is putting a lot of CLP in the firing pin chamber area and the ejector relief hole. Unless you detail strip the slide and really blow out that area it can cause clogging. Glock recommends this area remain dry. When the pistol is re-assembled and fired there will be powder residue that will end up in these areas and if it's still moist from CLP it can cause gunk to build up over time. I have no issue with CLP on the front part of the slide. I use alcohol and a Q tip to clean the rear part of the slide.
I hope this is helpful, I know it keeps all 5 of my Glocks running well and one of them is approaching 10,000 rounds. Glock on!

Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF member
IDPA
USPSA
NRA
jim this post is not in any way arguing toward your post but just an infoyou for members in this thread:)

Glock's require so much less maintenance than the all metal counterpart, a lot of preventive maintenance preformed on Glocks are really useless because of the metals and poly Gaston uses.

A new factory glock straight out of the box with its copper anti-seize grease left in place ran a 10000 round torture test which got so hot that the rsa melted but continued to operate as designed and the shooter had a very hard time shooting it, he also received second degree burns on his left and right hands as he switched hands often because of the heat and his hands tiring. The Glock still functioned flawlessly for it's projected 10000 rounds which proves that Glocks require very little to no maintenance. You can take a new Glock and shoot it for the rest of your life without oiling, greasing and cleaning and it will be here when your grandchild is buried, as long as lead ammo is not use as Glocks states.

People clean, oil and grease their Glock because they just love to handle and want badly to preform some kind of TLC because this is just how the true gun owners/lovers are instinctively programmed so to speak . I do have 1 Glock which I do absolutely no kind of servicing other than packing ammo and shooting it and there are no rust and the bore is very mirror like clean. It is the Perfection of firearms in all aspects of the definition.

·
Heckler & Koch
1,978 Posts
I've been doing it like Hickok for so long with no problems and my Glocks always run. To much CLP for my liking in that video.

Cracker7

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I'm with Jim on this one, though our actual cleaning methods may vary a bit. OP asked about Hickok's cleaning vids compared to this one, and I can't say because I've never watched them. However, if Hickok uses a "minimalist" approach when it comes to solvents and oils, I'd be right there with him. I didn't watch this entire video, but there's way too much CLP for my liking. Glocks run very well being nearly dry, and Lawrence's extreme example confirms that. While the man in the video probably doesn't experience any issues, over-oiling/lubricating attracts gunk. That kind of goes against why I clean my Glocks in the first place. Regards.

Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
Way too much CLP sprayed on that Glock for my liking. There is no way he got all that CLP out of all the nooks and crannies or out of firing pin channel. I'm no expert, but that looks like a failure waiting to happen.

I'll stick with the way Hickok45 cleans his, Been doing it that way to all my Glock since I've owned them with no problems.
+1 I agree
Have been doing my Glocks his way and have never experienced any problems

·
Registered
132 Posts
He put a ton of CLP inside the barrel and never wiped it out. For storage, OK, for carry, not even close. I will agree Glocks are pretty easy to clean, but this way is not the way I do it. don't know about Hickock 45, never watched the video.

·
Premium Member
12,753 Posts
Now wasn't this latest Hickok45 video about cleaning a nib Glock?

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
There is no right or wrong way. There is the way that works well for you.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I've been cleaning guns for years after my Grandfather taught me the proper way to do so. I haven't watched Hickok's video and couldn't bring myself to watch much of the intro video. There's no rocket science to cleaning a gun other than being certain that the gun is unloaded and handing it in a manner that's safe. Folks have been shooting and cleaning guns long before I was born and will continue to do so long after I'm gone. There are all sorts of amazing products on the market, and I'm sure some are probably more friendly to the environment than others. The only thing I do differently than the way I was taught is using a bore snake. There's nothing like spending an evening in the family room with a fire going and cleaning guns. I'm at a loss how folks figured how to wipe their ass before youtube?

·
Old Cop
16 Posts
I watched a video a month ago about the "right way to clean a Glock". It was supposed to be the way a Glock rep did it. He simply used Baby Wipes from Walmart, wiping all over the
slide and parts of the frame area. Then he put a few strips of grease in the rails and put it back together and worked the slide a few times. He used Tetra grease. I use grease too but I use Mil-Com. I checked what the Baby Wipes are saturated with. Mostly aloe. Nothing that
seemed damaging and did leave barely__very little lubricant. I think he used too much grease on the rails, personally. Mil-com on and wipe off. A little of their cleaner on few areas
only. (Where any lubricant will be) Actually, I've tried the Baby Wipes. Then I learned a lot of gun owners have been using them for years! So, nothing new. They seem to do real well and a simple method. Not much lubricant on the Glock. Not required.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts