Hi all. You decide for me.

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by Colorado_Outdoorsman, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Colorado_Outdoorsman

Colorado_Outdoorsman New Member

Glock 20 or 29? I hike allot and like the 10mm for whatever critters I might encounter. I Just can't decide between the two. I already have a G27Gen4 that I use for CCW and HD. So you folks decide and tell me your reasoning. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. 762X51

762X51 New Member

I would say full size for an outdoor gun. Plus get the 6" barrel for the 20 for a bit more velocity.

3. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I like full size .45's, So I have the G 21 Gen 4, and sooner or later, I hope Glock will make & release a G 20 Gen 4. I'm in no rush though, plenty of other irons in the fire, and I have my S&W .44 & 500 Magnums to shoot in the meantime.

4. I just bought the G21 gen 4 and really like it. Would have bought a 20 if they had the gen 4 out.

The 20 is larger than your 27, it closer in size to the 23.

You can't go wrong either way you go.

5. iRockGlock

iRockGlock Well-Known Member

6. If you're open carrying and not worried about concealed, the full size 20 is your best bet.

Not only the longer barrel for the slight increase in velocity, but those extra rounds and that longer sight radius will help when you're pooing your pants while trying to take down a 2000lb bear that's hurtling at you!

You can always go with the 20mag, +2 extension and a mag-sleeve for use on a 29 when hiking in case you do want to conceal carry the gun when not in the wilderness.

But I still think the longer sight radius is key for better placed shots when under extreme stress.

7. Also, when you have a 20 or 29, the 27 for HD becomes obsolete and remains a safe-queen only to be used for the range ;).

I'd rather have the full powered 10mm over the .40 for HD anyday, but would probably choose the easier handling .40 for conceal carry in public.

Besides, the .40 is just a cut down 10mm from what I understand.

8. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

I would go with the 20 and use it for hiking and HD if your going to open carry

9. Sorry, I meant the 29 is closer in size to the 23...not the full size 20.

10. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Gotta say, I loved my 29sf. If you're hiking and you have to use it, I doubt it will ever be further than a ten yard difference. Go with the 29 and get some heavy 200 grain Buffalo Bore ammo. This way, you can still conceal on your person without freaking the other hikers out, and still be protected.

11. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

For me, the hikers are always freaked out, of course I'm usually on horseback, with a carbine in a scabbard. Probably the horse I'm thinking.

Attached Files:

• 2011.jpg
      2011.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Haha I'm sure that's it.

13. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I would recommend the 20 for use as a back up or protection when out in the woods. I have the 20 and that is its only purpose. I want the extra capacity, longer sight picture and increased velocity out of the full size.

14. Colorado_Outdoorsman

Colorado_Outdoorsman New Member

All good points. Thanks. I think it will be the G20. I had one before but I was thinking about the G29. Maybe when I get the chance I will tell my G20 versus the black bear in my garage story.

15. piken

piken New Member

You are correct, the .40 is a cut down 10mm. But when you move from 180gr down to 165gr bullets in a .40, the bullets perform the same or slightly better then a full power 10mm in recent tests I have seen.

I love 10mm, but the lack of full power high quality SD ammo for them leaves me iffy on ever using it as an EDC. Yes, there are a lot of SD ammo brands you can buy that produce 10mm, but only a few of them do full power, most are FBI medium.

16. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Yep! Gotta be the horse!

17. Blades

Blades Senior Member

A G20 with a six inch barrel and a few ports cut into it, or a compensator-- you should be okay. :)