Help with Optics can't decide

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Andyman85, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I am looking at one of these optics for my 18 inch AR-15. I'm torn between theses two scopes

Vortex PST 3 - 15 x 44 FFP:
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-pst-gen-2-3-15x44-ffp-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=22
    Primary Arms DMR 55.6 ACSS 3 - 18 X 44 FFP:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...pe-gen-3-illuminated-acss-hud-dmr-308-reticle

I can't decide, the Vortex seems like a nicer optic. I see quite a bit of claims under the Vortex warranty on sending them in for repairs. I even see a few of my followed youtube channels having a problem with the optics, but in the end the optic was fixed. The Vortex seems like the premium optic, but the video and reviews on their website. I see a lot of claims on warranty work.

The primary Arms seems cheap, but I hardly see any negative reviews. I have the Primary Raptor on another optic and I love the redicle. I see less problems with primary arms optics vs Vortex. But that also depends on the amount of sales too. I see nothing but positive reviews on Primary arms optics

So in summery, I like the glass of the vortex but worried about the quality. I really don't want to spend the something to send in for a replacement. I prefer the redicle (ACSS) redical on the Primary Arms, but I am worried about it being too cheap going on a nice rifle. What route would you guys go? I would like to hear any input.

2. FredWyn

FredWyn Well-Known Member Supporter

May I ask what your intended application is with these two scopes? At what distances will you be shooting most often? Is your rifle more for fun than for use in some kind of professional LEO situation? Do you intend to use the rifle out on long hunts, or more of a range rifle? Have you ever used a variable power optic like these on an AR? Can you tell me more about your AR? Brand, barrel, etc. I'd like to get a sense of your specific use requirements before I offer an opinion.

3. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

Vortex has that lifetime warranty!

cnutco, Danzig and Andyman85 like this.
  4. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I'm looking to replace my current Nikon M-223 (4 - 16 x 32 sfp) scope. There is nothing wrong with this scope. I just want a ffp and something a little nicer.

The use of this rifle has been mostly target shooting out to 300 yards. I do go 1 - 2 times a year to visit friends down south and go hog hunting.

The barrel on this is a Wilson combat 18 barrel 223 wylde with an 1/8 twist. It's has a giessle dmr trigger. I have used variable powered optics, but I want a ffp. 20191009_065457.jpeg 20191009_065510.jpeg

cnutco likes this.
  5. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I know Vortex has a lifetime warranty. I don't want to go through the hassle of having to go through the warranty process. Going to my gunsmith to get it mounted, and re-zero it again. The thing that concerns me is that even the 5 star reviews, people had problems with the optic and go it replaced under warranty. They still gave is 5 star reviews.

Lucian_253 likes this.
  6. Lucian_253

I have heard that primary arms has stepped up there product quality as of late.

Andyman85 likes this.
  7. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

8. FredWyn

FredWyn Well-Known Member Supporter

OK...with that in mind, my vote would be to get the VORTEX. Check Optics Planet and use their live chat to get their lowest possible price.

cnutco, Andyman85 and Southlake like this.
  9. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

I run a Vortex PST 2.5-10 on my 18" AR .223 Wylde. For the money it is a great scope. Previous to this rifle it was on my Sig 716 AR-10. The only issue I have had was self induced. I lost the battery cover for the illuminated reticle. I contacted Vortex to buy a replacement and they sent me one at no charge even though I told them I lost it. I would not hesitate to buy another Vortex scope.

cnutco, Lucian_253 and FredWyn like this.
  10. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

Gen 1 or gen 2 pst?

11. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Personally I think Vortex is a more stable company.
    So 5-10 years if the warranty becomes a necessity it’ll be there.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I think most of Primary and Vortex source their optics from same places in the orient.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Andyman85 and Lucian_253 like this.
  12. Silver-Bolt

My PST is a Gen-1.

13. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

So...........I still can't decide. I bought both. To see what I really like more. The vortex looks a tad clearer through the glass, but not by much. The reticle is better on the primary arms. All I can say now is, looks like I have another optic as an excuse to do a another build. 20191019_094622.jpeg 20191019_094627.jpeg 20191019_094637.jpeg

Bayou, Silver-Bolt, TheKraken and 3 others like this.
  14. Lucian_253

I like your style!

Southlake likes this.
  15. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

That's the way to do it.

16. Silver-Bolt

For me it's like, Oh look I have an extra pin. Better start a new build. lol

cnutco, Bayou and Danzig like this.
  17. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I’m guilty of this.
    I got a deal on this butt stock!...but...I don’t have a gun to put it on.:(Oh well looks like I have to build another AR.:D

18. Old Marine

Old Marine New Member

New user who is a little late to to this party. I have both products on two different AR platforms and like both, although I am partial to the Primary Arms Product.

TheKraken and Southlake like this.
  19. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

20. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum old Marine