Glock Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As far as I heard, Tenifer and Melonite are metal treatments, which some say are equivalent or different names for the same metal treatment or process.
After the metal treatment, Glock applies a second coating/outside finish to the slide, barrel and other parts.
US Made Glocks have a Melonite treatment.
What we refer to as a frying pan finish is that second (super durable) outside finish.
"Frying pan finish"!! That hits the nail on the head, I think. I knew there was something familiar about the finish on my pistol, I just didn't know how to describe it. That's exactly what it looks and feels like...the coating on a couple of my frying pans.

And you say this finish is "super durable"? That's good to know. Thanks so much for your input.

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
"Frying pan finish"!! That hits the nail on the head, I think. I knew there was something familiar about the finish on my pistol, I just didn't know how to describe it. That's exactly what it looks and feels like...the coating on a couple of my frying pans.

And you say this finish is "super durable"? That's good to know. Thanks so much for your input.
That was the finish from the pictures it appeared to be as I have a couple with that finish.

Reactions: Little Bear

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
The only question is that he has a USA made Glock. I believe Glock changed the outside coating/finish by the time they starting building guns in the US.
I’m not talking about the Tenifer/Melonite change. I believe the outside coating/finish was changed as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The only question is that he has a USA made Glock. I believe Glock changed the outside coating/finish by the time they starting building guns in the US.
I’m not talking about the Tenifer/Melonite change. I believe the outside coating/finish was changed as well.
Changed to…what?

Do you suppose if I called Glock, they could tell me? I understand Glock is pretty good about answering consumers’ questions.

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
Changed to…what?

Do you suppose if I called Glock, they could tell me? I understand Glock is pretty good about answering consumers’ questions.
Usually not when it comes to proprietary information and I think that is what Glock considers it as,go ahead and see what your result is, nothing to loose.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Changed to…what?

Don’t know. And as I previously mentioned, there is nothing wrong with it.
People like the frying pan finish because it is more holster wear/overall wear resistant. But a few scratches are not going to hurt the gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have a finish refered to by "Glock" as gas nitrate. Its a very durable finish. It is not as durable as Glocks that had the tenifer metal treatment process done. This finish that you have was made just after Glock stoped the tenifer treatment. It was also made on the early gen 4 guns too. The tenifer metal treatment was discontinued in 2009/2010 depending on the slide manufacturer date. Your finish you have was made on guns approx. 2010-2014. Ive got some very late 2014 guns with this finish. They also made earlier guns with Frying Pan finish that stopped when tenifer stopped being used. This finish ended in 2009. So if you have a gen 3 gun thats got FPF its a tenifer metal treatment. Im not sure when this early frying pan finish started. But I think at least 05/06. Hope this sheads some light on this. And even though it will wear away on the edges from holster use, or just setting it down on a table repeatedly your finish on your gun is supurb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bear, have functioned fired it yet? Glocks are just hammers, tools. except a hammer has a better grip angle. Cosmetics mean nothing.
No, sir, I have not fired it yet. Things like home repair projects, and veterinarian visits keep eating into my days...and bank account. My dogs take priority over my guns. I hope to get to the range this week, though, as I have another gun I bought months ago and still have not fired.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts