Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this used G21 just a few days ago at what I consider to be a good price. I'm not a complete stranger to Glocks, having carried a G30SF as my EDC for about seven or eight years now. But I'm not up on all the "Gen" details. And I've mentioned in my introduction that this is the first G21 I've ever had.

So, can someone tell me what I have here? What generation? This gun is pretty much in pristine condition and came with the case and unopened envelope with manual and stuff, but no fired cartridge case. And two 13-round magazines. I haven't fired it yet...that'll come today, I think. Or maybe tomorrow. But I've cleaned it good, even though it didn't really need it. When I shoot it, I'll do a range report on it. Not that it matters, but the .45acp is my first choice for caliber in a semi-auto. Back in 2015 I had a G26, but bet I didn't fire a hundred rounds through it before selling it. It just wasn't me.

I've tried various serial number searches following one link after another, but come up empty on when this pistol might have been made. Any ideas?

Also, there's something different (to my eyes) about the slide's finish. I'm not sure I've captured the real way it looks in the attached photos. I don't think I have. But it has sort of a "glittery" finish on it, and it feels sorta slick to the touch. But it does glisten a bit in the sunlight. For lack of a better word, it has sort of a texture to it, unlike the dull flat black finish on my G30. To my untrained eyes, it isn't factory. I'm not even sure if the frame is factory finished or not.

Oh, and since I've never been one to leave well enough alone, I bought a third factory magazine. And have ordered three Pearce Grip +2 magazine extensions and that little plastic thing Pearce calls a Grip Frame Insert or some such thing as that. You know, that fills up that hole in the bottom of the grip frame? Should be here this week. I like Pearce products and have the same things on my G30. If I decide to keep this pistol, Trijicons will be next, because I simply can't abide Glock's factory "sights".

Anyway, please take a look at the photos and let me know what you see and think. Thanks in advance for any information.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Bumper Camera accessory Rectangle Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Grille

Bumper Bicycle part Tool Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I correct in thinking Gen 3 ran from 1998-2009?

Anyone have even a ballpark year for serial number AAFR617? Or AAFR617US? By the way, which one is considered to be the "official" serial number?

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Am I correct in thinking Gen 3 ran from 1998-2009?

Anyone have even a ballpark year for serial number AAFR617? Or AAFR617US? By the way, which one is considered to be the "official" serial number?
The Gen 3 is currently still in production, the only Glocks that Commiefornia can sell to civillians.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AAFR**​
G-21 GEN 3.0​
2013-06-19​
AAFR**​
G-21 GEN 3.0​
2013-08-28​

from My Glock Fun Site
Thank you so much for that information. I had actually looked at that site yesterday, but I either didn't go deep enough into it or simply couldn't figure out how to work it.

I'm going to try to get some better photographs of the gun (or the slide) in better light. I really am interested in hearing some knowledgeable opinions on the slide's finish. The guy at the LGS and I both agree that it isn't factory, and in fact, he hadn't even noticed it until I pointed it out to him.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
To me from the pictures the finish appears to be what is referred to as the frying pan finish.

Reactions: Danzig

·
Premium Member
14,717 Posts
Gen4 too. At least till the Gen5 comes out.
View attachment 270183
Thank you Danzig! I should of worded my previous post better. They only generation 3 Glock 21 in current production is the 21sf. Glock is also still making the 21 generation 4, as you posted above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Slide finish appears stock. There’s a possibility of 3 different factory black finishes on Glocks.
Was Glock doing a Tenifer or Melonite type treatment in 2013 on Gen3 pistols? The finish on this G21's slide is nothing like the finish on my 30SF from 2014. I just haven't gotten the lighting right to correctly show the finish on the G21.

What types of finish or metal treatment was Glock doing in '13? Are they still doing it now? The reason I ask is because every time I'm in a gun shop, I look at the Glocks even though I have no intention to buy one. I'm not seeing the same look to the new guns as I'm seeing on this one.

I could be wrong. I often am.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
47,394 Posts
Was Glock doing a Tenifer or Melonite type treatment in 2013 on Gen3 pistols? The finish on this G21's slide is nothing like the finish on my 30SF from 2014. I just haven't gotten the lighting right to correctly show the finish on the G21.

What types of finish or metal treatment was Glock doing in '13? Are they still doing it now? The reason I ask is because every time I'm in a gun shop, I look at the Glocks even though I have no intention to buy one. I'm not seeing the same look to the new guns as I'm seeing on this one.

I could be wrong. I often am.
I was in retail gun sales for a number of years and we would get in factory new Gen 3 pistols but it was after the Tenifer slide finish had been discontinued. So my theory is they must’ve made a bunch of finished slides that carried over to new production.
I could be wrong but that’s my thinking.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
As far as I heard, Tenifer and Melonite are metal treatments, which some say are equivalent or different names for the same metal treatment or process.
After the metal treatment, Glock applies a second coating/outside finish to the slide, barrel and other parts.
US Made Glocks have a Melonite treatment.
What we refer to as a frying pan finish is that second (super durable) outside finish.

·
Super Moderator
65,562 Posts
Tenifer and Melonite are trade names for firearm finishing processes that involve salt bath nitriding. The heart of the matter is probably licensing rights rather than technology. I do not have any special inside information, but I believe that Glock will not let the supplier license the Tenifer name to any other firearms manufacturer; therefore, other firearms manufacturers are using a similar finish but from other chemical suppliers or under different tradenames.

Historically, firearm parts were black oxided, which is an oxidation process which is only a few millionths of an inch thick, does not offer much corrosion resistance, and doesn't alter the underlying steel. Salt bath nitriding is a case hardening process that leaves a fairly thick, corrosion resistant, hard surface.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts