Help with blurred sights

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by geeteeohh, May 2, 2012.

1. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

I am 47 and have recently had to get bifocals, although I shoot with contacts in. Problem is that when I shoot with both eyes open, I sometimes have a hard time putting the sights on target, when focusing in on the target. Is this a matter of just getting used to shooting (farily new at it), or would night-sights help out. Looking for any help.

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

A front only night sight will probably help a little in focusing your eye to it with both open, but for the most part its just a matter of practising to shoot both eyes open. Try squinting your off eye and slowly opening it back up in order to get your eyes accustomed to focusing on the sites with both open. It just takes time and practise to get it down.

3. Personally... I cant shoot with both eyes open. Very tough for me to acquire the target as well.

Just practice... your bigger concern when aiming it focusing on the sights... the target should be the blur.

4. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

I tried two different contact prescriptions, they use them for a bifocal style contact. It drove me crazy but a friend loves his...go figure.

I put a brighter front sight on my gun and it helps some, different styled sights may be your answer. Are you near sighted or far sighted?

5. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

I am nearsighted. I think I have been focusing ass backwards, and focusing on the target. I will have to get out again soon and try focusing on the front sight like Voodoo says

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

yeah, everything should be a bit blurry except the front sight

7. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Forget the sights try point shooting.

8. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Have you tried not using bifocal lenses?

9. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

Chilly, I shoot wearing my contact lenses.

10. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

There are a couple of things you might want to check before you try to solve the problem with different sights. Have your optometrist first recheck the actual grind on your glasses/contacts against the prescription he wrote. Labs get it wrong more times than you might imagine. He may have also have made a mistake when he wrote it, so getting rechecked can't hurt. Ask him (or her) to check you for eye dominance, and have it explained & illustrated to you so it's understandable.

Generally, if you are right handed your dominant eye will be your right eye. Or left handed, your left eye. However, my wife is left handed, and her dominant eye is her right. This means she has a cross dominance problem. After she found out, & corrected for it, shooting was much more fun for her.

Just a couple of things that might speed up your search for a better sight picture.

Good Luck.

11. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Practice at home. Dry fire. Pick a spot or set up a target on your wall and dry fire.

12. sconnie

sconnie Member

Ahhh, old eyes and shooting....

I frequently deal with patients with this problem. The issue is that your eyes can't focus well enough to bring the front sight into clear focus any more. Your bifocals, no matter whether they are lined bifocals or the progressive type won't typically get the front sight into a clear focus.

The answer is either glasses or contact lenses to be worn under safety glasses that will put the front sight into clear focus. I will often have patients bring their guns into the office so that we can test different lens powers in shooting position. Looking for the lens that just gets the front sight into clear focus.

JW

13. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Some of us, myself included, have special prescriptions to help us shoot better. My right lens is made specifically for me to focus on the front sight and the left is made to help me focus on the target. I personally use Wiley X eyewear as my choice in protection, they can take a 12gauge, no joke.

14. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

I'm the same as your wife, 70's. It feels awkward to scoot the gun further right (lefty) to accommodate the dominant eye - guess i'm a winker. Being 45 my eye site has diminished when it comes to anything close and the far site may not be as crisp. Wondering if I use my readers will help?

15. sconnie

sconnie Member

At 45, your reader Rx will help, but unless they're full lens safety glasses, don't shoot with them!

JW

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I highly suggest ballistic rated lenses with a certified ANSI rating, yes they do come in RX. Several companies offer plenty of options, I wear Wiley X blinks, cost $200 but totally worth it.

17. sconnie

sconnie Member

Wiley makes some great products. Not the easiest company to deal with as a vendor, but great stuff.

JW

18. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I am having a ball dealing with them as a vendor, they are a great helpful company. They are working with me while I set up my new business. Great company!

19. sconnie

sconnie Member

It's been about 8 years since I've dealt with them. Glad they are working well for you.

JW