Help needed on GA Arms Speer

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SquadCapt4, May 31, 2012.

1. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Enlighten me here, folks. What is the difference between Speer Gold Dot and Georgia Arms Speer bonded unicore? I vaguely remember hearing something about G A use to sell Speer Gold Dot but I can't remember if their relationship fell through or what. I like the Gold Dot for EDC, but it is too dang expensive. I need about 200 rounds to fire through my 23 before I change ammo and can't afford that in the Gold Dot. Georgia Arms is a lot better price at $27.00 per 50 rnd box. The other thing that concerns me is that Georgia Arms is +P. Supposedly, I shouldn't fire +p through a Glock. Keep in mind that this is EDC ammo and my life may very well depend on my choice!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

And if a Moderator wants to add a "d" to "neede" in the title, that would be fine. Typo's kill me.

3. Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I was going to point to that same thread. I emailed GA Arms regarding the +P rating and posted the reply at the end of that thread.

As far as the bullets themselves, they are Speer Gold Dots. They used to call them "Gold Dot HP" but I suspect Speer didn't like that or didn't want customers thinking they were "real" Gold Dots rather than loaded by another manufacturer.

I also asked them about loading Hornady's Critical Defense, which is my .40 carry round, but Hornady won't sell the bullets to anyone.

5. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Okay, here's the straight skinny straight from the horses mouth. I called Glock in Smyrna. The tech support guy was very familiar with Georgia Arms, especially since they're close to each other. He assured me that shooting G A's +P through a Glock is just fine. The +P+ however is not recommended. He did say that it's not good to make a steady diet of +P, like for range ammo. That's not a difficult choice for me considering the price difference of FMJ reloads as opposed to +P HP!! :rolleyes: When I told him that I like to run about 200 test rounds through before making up my mind on EDC, he advised that would be okay. As well as occasionally running the +P through to stay proficient. So GA's 165gr +P it is.

6. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

All fixed SquadCapt. :)

7. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Thank you so much Ms. Gal