HELP G48 SHIELD MAGS PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Andyman85, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I am having a little problem with my shield mags only in my G48:
    Let me start out by as saying that my G43X & G48 worked flawless in stock configuration. I shout about 500 rounds through each without any problems. Then came the infamous S15 Mags that everyone says is 100% reliable..........

I bought fifteen sheild mags and two of the shield mag release catch's(steel upgrade) to go along with it. One for my G43X and one for my G48. My G43x ran flawless with the shield mags, 300 rounds no issue. My G48 on the other hand has problems. I keep getting random stoppages on different mags. I will reload the mag and it will work fine, but I will have another issue on a mag that worked good. So its completely random at this point what mag will cause a fee issue. I do have the upgraded mag release installed that shield arms sells on both guns. I have experienced this malfunction 11 times within 550 rounds through the G48. It hapend three times today as I was ready to yeet the Glock at the target, no joke- I was pissed.

I and not an expert on this, I own a lot of Glocks and I have never had this issue before. From the picture with the circle on it. The bar on the bottom of the slide looks to jam the rim of the casing the slide to seize. My best guess........... I will also note that when I disassemble the gun, the guide rod practically falls out. I called Glock and they said it's normal, "It's suppose to do that". I never had a Glock where the recoil spring can fall out with the slightest touch or tipping the slide at the right angle.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 MB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 MB
      Views:
  2. stokes

stokes Active Member

Carried a Glock 19 for over 20 yrs and now have a 43x and both guide rods act as you describe.As for the malfunction every year at requal it was driven home by the range instructors that a Glock should never be modified with non Glock parts and should never be used with non Glock mags.In your first sentence you say "Let me start out by as saying that my G43X & G48 worked flawless in stock configuration"..... that tell you anything?

Southlake likes this.

3. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

You said that both guns have been reliable for 500 rounds each before trying the shield magazines and the steel mag release/catch.

Could it be that the mag release was installed incorrectly on the G48, but fine on the G43x?
    I would run both guns again but with the stock magazines to see what happens.

CheeseTurd and BuzzinSATX like this.
  4. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I always keep my Glocks stock, however these mags are praised on youtube and social media as being reliable.

5. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I double checked the mag catch on both and they are exactly the same. I cannot switch back to the stock mags, if I were to do that I have to put in the polymer mag release. Its a all or nothing deal. The mag release is steel and so are the mags. If you add a polymer part in there, it will wear down. So to test out the original mags and not break them/wear them down, I have to put in the old mag release.

6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would call shield & see if they have any suggestions.

jhg and Danzig like this.
  7. stokes

stokes Active Member

Praised on social media?And youtube? No thanks,had my 19 since 1993 as my service and off duty weapon,never one malfunction.Glock is the most reliable handgun used by more law enforcement agencies for just that reason,but only if its left stock.

8. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Your G43x runs fine. But the G48 has issues.
    Another idea....
    You can swap the slides and test again. At least this way you will be able to determine if the issues follow the G48 slide or stay with the G48 frame.

jhg and BuzzinSATX like this.
  9. mtelep

mtelep Junior Member Supporter

I know a little about Glocks. I own 23, of which I build 5 poly 80’s! If the problem is random with the mags, it’s probably something else! I would put in a metal guide rod, spring, since it’s a point of failure anyway. Number the mags and keep a log of the failures. I have 2 shied mags and like everyone else. Let me know how it goes!

jhg likes this.
  10. Agree with swapping the slides and seeing how that works. Then, back to stock mag release and stock mags if still having issues.

jhg likes this.
  11. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

If the malfunction truly looks like...

Short cycle jam 1a.jpg

... then the slide is 'short cycling'. That is, the cartridge pickup rail is not clearing base of the top cartridge in the magazine before the slide reverses direction and starts to move forward, thus, 'picking up' the cartridge at the case extractor groove and jamming the cartridge in the ejection port.

Much less likely is that the slide is 'outrunning' the magazine. That is, the slide recoils to 'slide stop', but reverses direction and is moving forward before the top cartridge rises in the magazine sufficiently for the slide to pick it up properly, thus, jamming as described above.

'Short cycling' is typically, caused by slide drag, 'stiff' RSAs, under-powered cartridges, 'limp-wristing', or some combination thereof.

'Outrunning' is typically caused by weak/defective magazine springs, binding/defective magazine followers, over-powered cartridges, 'limp-wristing', or (again) some combination thereof.

Best regards,

Bob

Tulkas likes this.
  12. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

Wow, I knew I could do this and yet it did not come across my mind to try it out. This is why I love the forum. I will go to load up my mags and head to the range tomorrow, a range report will follow......

j102, mtelep and Southlake like this.
  13. mtelep

If the action spring/guide rod is not powering the slide with the proper force(17 pounds ) is factory specifications, that could be one solution! I do like trading out the upper idea, since it’s the least expensive. Trade the spring next if the slide idea works!!! What is the consensus of opinion???

14. rbbeers

Running RSAs as light as 12 lbs is common in the competition world. That said, a 'weak' RSA could allow the slide to 'outrun' the magazine, IF the magazine spring is weak as well.

Best regards,

Bob

jhg and mtelep like this.
  15. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

Thank you for the info, I will keep this handy when I go to the range tomorrow.

mtelep and rbbeers like this.
  16. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

So with being impatient, I went to the range today. I first shot all 15 mags through the g43x no hiccup. I wanted the extra price of mind. I put the G48 slide on the g43x frame and shot another 15 mags, not one issue. Everything ran flawless, I compared to two frames side by side and cannot see anything wrong

17. mtelep

It’s really disheartening to have problems!!!! Troubleshooting is not easy, but time and experience usually win out!! Ask questions from the group, and no one will fault you!!! You have tons of experience available for your asking!!! You will be the one giving the advice!!!! When that happens, remember when you were asking and be kind!!!!! IMG_1945.jpg

18. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

The paragraph below is from the Shield Arms website. It looks like you have a bad mag catch or it was installed incorrectly.

“The mag catch serves a few different purposes: it secures the mag in the frame of the pistol, but it also holds the magazine in the proper position within the frame. This is an important distinction. If the magazine sits too low or too high in the frame, the slide either won’t reciprocate, or rounds will not reliably strip off the magazine and feed into the chamber.”

https://shieldarms.com/s15-talk-mag-catches

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Danzig likes this.
  19. rbbeers

Did you run the G48 as configured in your original post to ensure the problem still existed?

If not, maybe it would be a good idea... just to 'double check'.

If the problem still persists, then there is indeed something different about the frame (as fitted with the 'problem' parts).

If the problem 'disappeared', then... ?????

Best regards,

Bob

20. Andyman85

Andyman85 Active Member

I tried contacting them via e-mail, but still no response back. I tried calling today, but no luck. I will will wait wand see.