Glock Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in VA and just applied for my CCW permit. I have some basic questions and I cannot seem to find the answers in one place in laymen terms. I am looking for "best practices" on what I should and shouldn't do (or can't) with a CCW. So for instance, when pulled for speeding what do I do to let the Officer know I am armed or have a gun. Where can I NOT CCW etc etc... just looking for a "cheat sheet" I can learn from.. any ideas please?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
553 Posts
GlockBurg said:
I live in VA and just applied for my CCW permit. I have some basic questions and I cannot seem to find the answers in one place in laymen terms. I am looking for "best practices" on what I should and shouldn't do (or can't) with a CCW. So for instance, when pulled for speeding what do I do to let the Officer know I am armed or have a gun. Where can I NOT CCW etc etc... just looking for a "cheat sheet" I can learn from.. any ideas please?
There are some great apps for the phone...."legal heat".....usually free

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, I'm going to check it out now

·
367 Posts
I keep DL, reg. ins. and CCW all together so no fuss, no muss. I haven't been stopped in probably 30 years but I'm prepared to have engine off, hands on wheel, tell him I am legally armed on my right hip. Paper work in right rear pocket how would he or she like me to proceed for they're safety. From posts I've read most who coperate as such generally get a warning.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Here in KY after receiving my CCDW the first time I was pulled over and I was not carrying (since I was headed to work at UK and at the time it was illegal to possess a firearm on campus) I did not present my CCDW. The officer upon returning to my car asked if I was in possession of a CCL and I said yes but that I was not in possession of a firearm or any weapon at that time. The officer told me that even though I was not armed its always a good idea to provide my CCDW when my license, reg and proof of insurance are asked for. Ever since I've always given cops my permit when asked for my ID, carrying or not.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I keep DL, reg. ins. and CCW all together so no fuss, no muss. I haven't been stopped in probably 30 years but I'm prepared to have engine off, hands on wheel, tell him I am legally armed on my right hip. Paper work in right rear pocket how would he or she like me to proceed for they're safety. From posts I've read most who coperate as such generally get a warning.
You drive a Z06 and haven't been stopped in over 30 years??? Are you pullin a our leg? Cops around here will pull you over just to ask about the car!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take a class. Find a good one that will teach you about situations and the law. It's a big responsibility to carry a firearm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm trained to instruct a driver at a traffic stop to keep their hands on the steering wheel where I can see them. This move relieves a lot of nervousness on my part at a stop. Your best bet when getting pulled over would be to do the following:

- Immediately roll down your windows when the blue lights come on.
- Pull over as far right as you can away from the "dirty side" aka the road.
- Either turn off your vehicle or turn off your radio/cell phone chat.
- Put your license, registration, CWP, and insurance on the dashboard or your lap.
- Put your hands at the 11 and 1 on your steering wheel.

This is in a perfect world of course. It rarely happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts