Hello From Toronto

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by miamivice, Jul 21, 2012.

1. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Just bought a Glock 22 Gen4

2. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Good choice!
    Welcome from North Carolina.

3. Welcome to the forum miamivice!! Enjoy your stay and congrats on your new purchase!

4. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum miamivice! Enjoy

5. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Welcome to the Glock Forum!
    Stick around, you will like it here!

6. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

Welcome. I'm from buffalo originally so I spent a lot of time in Toronto. Go leafs. Stick around. This is by far the best forum out there.

7. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Welcome to the forum! What are gun laws like up there in Canada?

8. Glock38

Glock38 New Member

Welcome to the forum. And I have the same question as jimmy I'm curious as to the gun laws and cc.

9. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :D

The gun laws up here are terrible. To purchase non-restricted firearms like rifles and shotguns, its not so bad. Pass a safety course, fill out an application with the RCMP wait is about 30 days. Basic carry and transportation laws ( no loaded firearms while in transport,must be in a lockable case...etc)

Restricted however.....Handguns, Black Rifles etc. Must pass an extra safety course, more thorough application and backround check. Terrible laws in effect like can't transport handguns without an Authorization to transport it from the Cheif Firearms Officer. Even then, you can only transport the firearm from your house to an Authorized Shooting range. No shooting Restricted's in your back 40 or anything. Very strict control. Our Mags are pinned to 10 rounds at the max. So for a guy with a Glock 17, the most the mag will hold is 10 rounds.:rolleyes:

In order to get an Auth to transport to your Shooting club, you must pass a few safety courses from the club. More $$$$$ then you are on probation for 2-3 months. The club will then file for a long term authorization to transport for you. This process can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months. So from the time you first start the process of taking your courses and filling out your application to shooting your new handgun for the first time can take 7 months.:eek: What a Joke.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  10. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Wow. Can't shoot it at home, gotta jump through beaucoup hoops to transport it to the range where you can shoot it. Good chance an ordinary guy would struggle to come up with the $ for all the fees and stuff. My sympathies.

11. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Yepper, with the courses and application fee's, range fee's and membership dues......i'm into just under 1200.00 before i bought a firearm or fired a shot. Welcome to Canada.:rolleyes:

12. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum miamivice! This is a great community. I hope you enjoy yourself here.
    Wow just owning a handgun in Canada is quite an expensive process. Congratulations on getting your Glock.

13. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

This is ridiculous. They don't ban weapons, but they make it so darn expensive and time consuming that is nearly impossible for an average joe to obtain all of the necessary documentation and money to own a weapon.

14. thracianrush

thracianrush New Member

HI miamivice,
    Congrats on the Glock purchase. I am planning to get me one too.
    I live in Toronto as well and I am still trying to get into gun ranges. The process is pure hell. High fees, tons of restrictions, shooting observations that you have to attend but not allowed to shoot. Worst part is paying the $600 in club fees and not being allowed to shoot for about 3-6 months (probation and observation time). Even after you pass all requirements, observations, and shooting tests, your case is then presented before the senior members, presidents, etc. of the club who vote on your application acceptance. If you are not accepted you lose your already paid money and 3-6 months of your time.
    At least that is what I have been told by the club that I am trying to get into now.
    This is ****ty thing about Canada and restricted weapons.

Good luck and enjoy your new Glock!

15. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum thracianrush! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

16. Welcome to the Forum thracianrush!!! Enjoy your stay!!!