Heavier Magazine Release Spring for Glock 48??

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Zebra, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Zebra

Zebra Active Member

I have a Glock 48 and would like to stiffen up the magazine realize spring.
    My Glock 48 is not that old or used that much and I would like the spring to be stiffer requiring a more pronounced push to release the magazine.
    My search has not revealed a heavier spring. Anyone aware of a heavier magazine release spring?

2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I looked for about 20 minutes. All i found was oem, & lighter magazine catch springs.

3. Glock store says factory Mag release spring the same for all models..no maybe one for another Glock would work? Guessing...

4. Zebra

Zebra Active Member

UPDATE 9/23/20
    I picked up a new factory magazine release bar and spring today and did a replacement. Looks like the that resulted in satisfactory results.
    Thanks to all who responded.

MyKey, mattm and Lucian_253 like this.
  5. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

48 has the ambi mag release?

6. Zebra

Zebra Active Member

Yes it does have the ambi mag release

7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

The magazine catch spring is simply a straight piece of 0.051" stainless steel music wire.

My guess is that it's...

304 Stainless Steel Wire
    https://www.mcmaster.com/music-wire/
    In my opinion, the easiest way to stiffen the spring would be to replace the stock spring with a 1.440" length of 0.055" music wire.

However, by doing that, the hole in the frame will become a 'sloppy' fit for the stock spring unless the oversized hole is 'fixed'.

Given that you seem satisfied with your new stock spring, I'd suggest leaving well enough alone.

Best regards,

Bob

SJ 40, Zebra, Lucian_253 and 2 others like this.