Glock Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

· Very Sensitive Guy (^;)
760 Posts
Hi guys. I am the founder of NEO Carry, a gun rights and second amendment advocacy group based out of Northeast Ohio. We support both open and concealed carry. I would have to disagree with this post. I think many of the LEO's in the Northeast Ohio area have been trained and understand the legality of OC. We just recently held an OC walk/meet & greet in downtown Akron (along Main Street, High Street, and Bowery Street) and had no issues with law enforcement. Most of the LEO’s just drove by and looked. We had one who pulled a u-turn, pulled over on the side of the road and watched us, but he did not make contact. We passed out fliers to people for about 2 hours and had VERY positive encounters. People were generally interested in finding out more info on gun laws in Ohio. Check out our website to see more (www.neoopencarry.org). Also please like us on facebook and subscribe to us on youtube. Our video of the Akron walk is posted on both the website and on youtube.

Overall though it was a very positive experience and we will be looking to do more walks in Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown, and Kent. If you are interested in joining us on an OC walk, let me know and I can get you more info.

I have been OCing in Northeast Ohio for over a year now and have yet to have an issue with LE. I have OCed in Youngstown, Akron, Ellet, Kent, Stow, Springfield, etc.
Welcome to the forum. We appreciate the input!

I'd like to welcome you to the forum also, NEO. And I too appreciate your direct knowledge of this. Thank you, Sir.

· Killer of all things donut............
1,300 Posts
DON'T go to Target. They are very strict with guns. I used to work for them here in the Cleveland, OH area as a Senior Team Leader and we had an email sent to us from headquarters stating that if we saw a firearm we were to IMMEDIATELY call police/911 and report them. Did not mater the local or state laws. Only exception is LEOs. Now I still shop there but only with deep carry or in uniform.
Just the opposite here. When Oklahoma went OC on Nov 1st, Target (along with other retailers) were very vocal to the fact that they have no firearm restrictions when they are lawfully carried within their stores. I worked for Target for two years and never heard any manager say that CC were not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series11

That is crazy, but if he wasn't allowed to have a firearm on duty per his guard card or contract or whatever they have, then he acted out of his authority I think. I think there is an underlined hatred for Walmart in America but many people go there, just becareful in the middle of the night....
I guess WalMart does not allow their Loss Prevention guys to carry anything.

I had a friend told me he saw his buddy get fired for carrying handcuffs."

This is true. Due to concern for the safety of our LP associates, Walmart no longer allows for restraint other than "moderate reasonable force" i.e. - I can put my hand on your arm or shoulder and try to direct you from the door to the AP office. If the person pulls away, we cannot not follow or pursue more that 10 feet.
I have witnessed one of my associates break this rule and ultimately leave in an ambulance after getting stabbed by the suspect. Happened right in front of me. Our associate, was let go due to breaking just about every rule of AP-09 policy and the suspect is facing attempted murder over a pair of $30 shoes.
NOT a single item in any store is worth a person's life. If we can not restrain them without reasonable effort, it is just best to let them go and try to recover the merchandise.

· Banned
1,691 Posts
Just the opposite here. When Oklahoma went OC on Nov 1st, Target (along with other retailers) were very vocal to the fact that they have no firearm restrictions when they are lawfully carried within their stores. I worked for Target for two years and never heard any manager say that CC were not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series11

That is crazy, but if he wasn't allowed to have a firearm on duty per his guard card or contract or whatever they have, then he acted out of his authority I think. I think there is an underlined hatred for Walmart in America but many people go there, just becareful in the middle of the night....
I guess WalMart does not allow their Loss Prevention guys to carry anything.

I had a friend told me he saw his buddy get fired for carrying handcuffs."

This is true. Due to concern for the safety of our LP associates, Walmart no longer allows for restraint other than "moderate reasonable force" i.e. - I can put my hand on your arm or shoulder and try to direct you from the door to the AP office. If the person pulls away, we cannot not follow or pursue more that 10 feet.
I have witnessed one of my associates break this rule and ultimately leave in an ambulance after getting stabbed by the suspect. Happened right in front of me. Our associate, was let go due to breaking just about every rule of AP-09 policy and the suspect is facing attempted murder over a pair of $30 shoes.
NOT a single item in any store is worth a person's life. If we can not restrain them without reasonable effort, it is just best to let them go and try to recover the merchandise.
I agree. I have always ran after the shoplifters in all of my jobs. Most of the time I would get it back, if I could catch them. It is not worth your life though.

As far as walmart, why even have LP if you can only love tap the thieves? If someone is trying to steal, touching their arm and trying to redirect them is pointless. Its either you stop them, or you let them go. Unless, you are redirecting them into the floor with an arm bar, or joint lock.

If you aren't allowed to go further than 10 feet after them, how does the company expect you to "try and recover the merchandise"? Do they think that the shoplifter changes their mind in the parking lot, and leaves the stolen product on the curb on the way out?

· Killer of all things donut............
1,300 Posts
GlockfanAZ said:
I agree. I have always ran after the shoplifters in all of my jobs. Most of the time I would get it back, if I could catch them. It is not worth your life though.

As far as walmart, why even have LP if you can only love tap the thieves? If someone is trying to steal, touching their arm and trying to redirect them is pointless. Its either you stop them, or you let them go. Unless, you are redirecting them into the floor with an arm bar, or joint lock.

If you aren't allowed to go further than 10 feet after them, how does the company expect you to "try and recover the merchandise"? Do they think that the shoplifter changes their mind in the parking lot, and leaves the stolen product on the curb on the way out?
They are more or less a deterrant. Our main goal is to protect assets not arrest people. If one of our APs suspect a person, then we as management get involved. Depending on the sitiuation, we will often let it know they are being watched and they usually will ditch the merchandise and leave. If they do attempt to leave, I would say about 85% are to scared to run and will go back in the store. I had a stop just two nights ago and it turned out she was a repeat offender, we had caught her a year ago as well. Big surprise when the officer ran her ID and found out she had a warrant for failure to appear on a previous petty larceny. Her man that she was with left her hanging also...........but we try to just encourage them to leave the merch but will stop if possible.

· Banned
1,691 Posts
They are more or less a deterrant. Our main goal is to protect assets not arrest people. If one of our APs suspect a person, then we as management get involved. Depending on the sitiuation, we will often let it know they are being watched and they usually will ditch the merchandise and leave. If they do attempt to leave, I would say about 85% are to scared to run and will go back in the store. I had a stop just two nights ago and it turned out she was a repeat offender, we had caught her a year ago as well. Big surprise when the officer ran her ID and found out she had a warrant for failure to appear on a previous petty larceny. Her man that she was with left her hanging also...........but we try to just encourage them to leave the merch but will stop if possible.
I understand. I think thats how most corporations are.

· Registered
236 Posts
GlockfanAZ said:

I think it's more of a preventative thing. To try and prevent theft not just catch them

· Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
12 weeks total? Ya'll must be on an old system. It used to take that long here but now, it's only 3 weeks.
The county I'm in is, well was i guess, known for going over the 90 day limit. But I ended up getting a call 72 days in. So almost 3 weeks early.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.