Hardcoated TCP

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by rivalarrival, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Last week, I found a tiny rust spot on my TCP. (Oh, how I wish Glock would make a 9mm single-stack...)

Anyway, my brother works for a company that applies various titanium coatings on tools. He stripped off the ugly finish and gave the slide a Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN) coating. I think it turned out pretty good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Even though it is not a Glock, that is cool!

3. not a bad job, should hold up nice

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Nice...is that the only color Titanium Carbonitride comes in ?!

5. rivalarrival

The color is actually closer to brown - it's showing up much closer to "pink" due to the flash.

His company does Titanium Nitride (gold), TiCN (violet-tinted brown), Aluminum Titanium Nitride (gray-black) and Titanium DiBoride (medium gray). They don't do much cosmetic work - they are focused on industrial machining tools, mostly.

6. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

They look like they did a good job. Can they do nickel boron? That is what Fail Zero uses as a coating, very hard and almost rust proof.

7. rivalarrival

Their focus is on titanium coatings for industrial use; I don't think they are set up for nickel boron.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Well, a titanium coating for industrial use on tools should wear well for years on a firearm...good idea !

9. rivalarrival

Picked up some Loctite C5-A (formerly Felpro C5-A) and this gun runs real nice now. C5-A is the copper goo that Glock puts on their slide rails before they ship.

A 1oz tube of the stuff was the same price as a 1 pound tub, so I bought the tub and I've got plenty extra. If anyone wants some, PM me. I've packed 2.5ml of it in 3ml syringes, each tube should do about 20-25 guns.

10. rivalarrival

I talked to my brother today. He confirmed that his company doesn't do nickel boron. They do a titanium diboride coating that he thinks is somewhat similar. He coated an M&P 40 slide with it, but I haven't seen it yet.

They recommend titanium diboride coatings for machining aluminum. It is supposed to have high lubricity, which is obviously a good thing for sliding parts.