Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've been hand loading for quite a while and have loaded many of rounds of 9mm ammunition, I've never loaded for the Glock 9mm pistol. Yeah, I know...***?!?:rolleyes: It's just that I never was much of a 9mm guy. Although I've owned many 9mm pistols, and have a few, until now only one Glock 9mm had ever been part of my collection. That sole 9mm I bought for my girlfriend and was one of the first G19s to find it's way to one of my local stores. She hated it. So...adios.

Anyway, now I'm a 9mm Glock guy. So I'm loading like crazy to get caught up with all the knowledge I've acquired from those decades of loading for Glock 40s & 45s. And...whoa. I've been "learning". The attached photos show one of my favorite reciepes that went haywire when I tried it in one of my new G48s. It follows EXACTLY the data from Sierra using their old syle 125jhp bullets. This load works fabulously in my Browning HiPower, my CZ 75, my Sig P210-A, and even in a G23 I converted to 9mm using a KKM barrel. But in the G48...no way. The first round jammed the pistol up solid, fortunately out of battery enough to not fire. As shown, it chambers perfectly in a case check gauge and in the tightly chambered KKM 9mm conversion barrel. Interesting, eh?

Attachments

· Premium Member
9,958 Posts
Over the years I've come to discover the gauge I rely on is the plunk test in the chamber of the barrel of the gun in question, if the round fit's your chamber of the gun you are good to go.

Now all you have to do is discover what it is about the rounds you are loading that is preventing them from chambering, which could be any number of things and now it's time to sit down in good light, your rounds in question and calipers, you will find it.

The old wives tale is that Glocks have sloppy chambers and I have found just the opposite.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I mentioned, the bullet is the Sierra 125 grain "old style" jhp. Sierra 5th Edition shows the OAL as 1.075". This round won't chamber in either of my G43s nor either G48s , until I shorten it down to 1.050". But that's way too short for my comfort factor. Interestingly both Sierra 124vchp and 125vchp do chamber just fine in the pistols at 1.075". Sierra apparently changed the ogive and I'm thinking that's the issue with the old 125s. However both of these new style bullets are longer than the old 125jhp so that needs to be taken into consideration when loading at or near maximum. At 1.080" OAL they chamber and run just fine. Unfortunately life is very complicated lately so chronograph testing is on hold. However, the very subjective "felt recoil" factor seems a-ok, as does POA/POI.

And yup, using the barrel itself as a chamber check has now become routine.

· Registered
270 Posts
Too much crimp will keep you them from chambering almost as fast as too long of an OAL. I’ve done it. I’ve been loading magnum revolver rounds for many years and they need a pretty good roll crimp to keep the bullets from backing out under recoil and locking up the gun. I’ve got a bad habit of applying too much crimp to 9mm from time to time.🤪
Although I've been hand loading for quite a while and have loaded many of rounds of 9mm ammunition, I've never loaded for the Glock 9mm pistol. Yeah, I know...***?!?:rolleyes: It's just that I never was much of a 9mm guy. Although I've owned many 9mm pistols, and have a few, until now only one Glock 9mm had ever been part of my collection. That sole 9mm I bought for my girlfriend and was one of the first G19s to find it's way to one of my local stores. She hated it. So...adios.

Anyway, now I'm a 9mm Glock guy. So I'm loading like crazy to get caught up with all the knowledge I've acquired from those decades of loading for Glock 40s & 45s. And...whoa. I've been "learning". The attached photos show one of my favorite reciepes that went haywire when I tried it in one of my new G48s. It follows EXACTLY the data from Sierra using their old syle 125jhp bullets. This load works fabulously in my Browning HiPower, my CZ 75, my Sig P210-A, and even in a G23 I converted to 9mm using a KKM barrel. But in the G48...no way. The first round jammed the pistol up solid, fortunately out of battery enough to not fire. As shown, it chambers perfectly in a case check gauge and in the tightly chambered KKM 9mm conversion barrel. Interesting, eh?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always use a taper crimp for semi-auto cartridges. A roll crimp is not the way to go. Using a Dillon 550C, the crimp is done at a separate station, so you have the opportunity to do as much fine tuning as you want. For 9mm, SAAMI says the case mouth should be at 0.380. Checking that is always a part of setting up a new load but once it's set it's usually spot on but worth a quick look.

I'm still convinced that my little kerfuffle here is an issue with the ogive and the long bearing surface of those old style Sierra 125jhps in combination with the Glock barrels, and especially since the "new" 124 and 125 vchp bullets work a-ok. And since it happens with all 4 guns, it's not just one barrel that's a bit hinky.

Thanks again for all those replies and...keep on loading!

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Crimp on a semi auto is not crimp, it's de-bell. Just enough to remove the flare from the powder thru die. Crimp does not hold the bullet in place, neck tension does. The interference fit between the bullet OD and the case ID. Over crimping a semi auto can lead to bullet setback and a KaBoom.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh, ok sure..."remove the flare..." just as long as you return the case mouth of the (9x19mm) loaded round to 0.380" you're doing the right thing. But it's a job best suited for a "taper crimp" die. Personally I've never tried to do it with a "roll crimp" die. I guess you could do that?

Meanwhile, I'm loving those "new style" Sierra 125 vchp bullets. They're running 1135fps out of my G48. And sure enough, the Win small pistol "match" primers I've been hoarding do indeed cut down the velocity deviations as compared to the regular Win s.p.p.

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Taper crimps are for semi autos, roll crimps are for wheel guns. What OAL did you end up with for the Sierra bullets? I actually just miked some rounds at .375" diameter. Never had checked that before in more than 30 years of loading 9mm, and don't remember checking that either on .45acp since 1967 either..... Just always used a case gage, then plunk tested.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
Everyone knows more than I do, and tells me that every chance they get, so,,,FWIW,
I've run into similar. The solution was to turn in the sizing die a bit. Had to set them just a little deeper for the round to completely size. Make good and sure to completely stroke that step. Go to the stop and make sure it stops. This is accepting that you have the other dimensions correct.
After that, no worries. Odd that the one that shoots just about anything would suffer the itsy bitsy short sizing, but it did. Every other 9MM in the neighborhood at the time and all my friends could shoot the stuff, and did for my experimenting.
Gave up on 9MM and went to another caliber for the home. Wife and I both shoot and both shoot 40, but the 9 is creeping back in these days. I still have no love for the caliber, but it ain't going away and is a cream puff to shoot.
Good luck.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Taper crimps are for semi autos, roll crimps are for wheel guns. What OAL did you end up with for the Sierra bullets? I actually just miked some rounds at .375" diameter. Never had checked that before in more than 30 years of loading 9mm, and don't remember checking that either on .45acp since 1967 either..... Just always used a case gage, then plunk tested.
I ended up NOT trying to work up a load for my G48s using the old style Sierra 125jhp bullets. As I mentioned I couldn't get them to chamber until the OAL was way too short. I went to the 125vchp bullet instead. They run a bit longer than the old 125s, so I loaded them at 1.080 just to play it safe. But I'm wondering when you say "I actually miked some rounds at .375" diameter." Are you talking about 9mm rounds? Maybe it's a typo and you meant .357"?

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
The taper crimp at the mouth measured .375" The bullets I use are Summit City 125 HiTek coated round nose that measure .3645" No leading with HiTek.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The taper crimp at the mouth measured .375" The bullets I use are Summit City 125 HiTek coated round nose that measure .3645" No leading with HiTek.
Oooops....my mistake! 0.375" is just fine. My loads usually end up slightly less than 0.380" too. My old man brain somehow saw that as "bullet diameter" and NOT the case mouth size of a loaded round. Sheesh, I gotta think twice BEFORE I hit "post"...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts