Hand loaders

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by G22GEN4, Jul 15, 2012.

1. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Is anyone familiar with Lee hand loaders in .45 acp & colt?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Just curious, why specifically Lee?

3. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

That's all I ever see. Are there other brand hand loaders?

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Well, handloading refers to reloading ammo at home, and this means all the name brands....Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady....

5. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Ok I mean the actual lee classic hand loader. No lever pulling.

6. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

When I go progressive, it will be Hornady or RCBS

7. Are you talking about the Lee Loader?
    [​IMG]
    If so then yes, I used one when I first started out to load 357Mag ammo. Not really the best choice though, an actually loading press with a lever is a lot more practical IMHO.

8. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Yes that's it. It works well for me but will upgrade very soon.

9. I guess if you like using a plastic mallet to hammer your brass in and out of the little die they provide then it's ok but I'd much rather use a single stage press. I know folks all want a Progressive Press but really, if you stage your work you can load up quite a lot of ammo with a good single stage press. Just do one step at a time then move to the next and so on until all the ammo is loaded.
    For something compact and handy I'd much rather have a Lyman 310 tool then a Lee Loader. Much easier to use.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

11. I picked up my RCBS Partner Press in the early '90's for $27 bucks on sale, it's still going strong. They have gone up a lot in price over the last 20 years,LOL.
    Using a Lee Loader isn't all that hard, it's just kind of a slow process loading rounds one at a time.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc[/ame]

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Thanks for the video, TN, I will stick with my single-stage, thanks! :D

13. You and me both.LOL. For the money I'd spend on a Lee Loader I can get a set of dies for my press. I guess for someone just starting out who wants to learn the "ins and outs" of handloading a Lee Loader is ok, you get to see each step and you could also fit one in a back pack if you go up to a Hunting Cabin or something to hunt for a few days.
    I think it might be cool to have one just to have it, never know when it might come in handy but for General Purpose loading I'll stick with my Partner Press and a set of Dies. ;)

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Agreed.

15. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

The lee loader is not bad at all & I don't mind the work as a beginner. There's not much more physical effort with the mallet than lowering & raising the press lever. Yes it takes more time but hell I'm racing nobody. I think the loader is a good choice for beginners as a bolt action rifle is a good choice to start ur kids at shooting. I know little about the actual press but from what I've seen, ill go progressive. Now, back to the question at hand. "Is there here familiar with the lee classic loader in .45 acp & colt"???

16. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

No prob, G22, we were outta line. Our apologies to YOU....

18. G22GEN4

G22GEN4 New Member

Not necessary. No one was out of line, just off topic is all.

19. Redneckcmb

Redneckcmb Chris Supporter

check this out

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDJoa71Ilk&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIgOBJ_Q7bY&feature=plcp[/ame]