Hammer Fired Gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by djg1965, Jul 12, 2020.

1. djg1965

djg1965 Active Member

So, I only own four pistols at the present time. I'm looking to make more purchases soon. My current guns are all striker fired 9mm and one in .45. What am I missing out on with the hammer fired platform? Looking for something new, no long guns. Any suggestions?

2. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

1911-10mm, imho.

IMG_0530.jpg

j102 and mattm like this.

3. Toni77

Toni77 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sig226 and Beretta 92 are good candidates

mattm likes this.
  4. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

2020-07-12 22.01.33.jpg Love my hammer guns. Even when they're upside down.
    Beretta m9, Springfield Range Officer, Ruger SR22. First 2 are very accurate and sweet sweet triggers. You get single action with all 3, as long as hammer's cocked, safety off when racking yields single action first pull, otherwise first pull with the m9 and sr is double action. . Glocks are a double action.
    Other beauty of hammer guns is you can get them in materials other than plastic :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    NQNPIII likes this.
  5. mattm

Beretta M9/92/M9A1/M9A3 same basic platform, slight differences, M9 being the original and most basic, M9A3 being the most featured, beefier, rail, super sweet high end 9. There are also stainless and compact models. M9 still used in the military a bit, my son loves how smooth mine is after using one as a Marine a few years ago. My M9 has been my most reliable gun, beating out my Glock 19's .001% failure rate, coming in at .000%.
    1911's, the military choice before the M9, seems, like the M9, a love it or hate it gun. I love mine. Keep it fairly clean, and it has yet to ftf or fte in a few thousand rounds.

6. mattm

Hmmm...an American gun with a metric round? Egads, man :eek:, but I'll stick with...."Gods caliber" :p. .45acp, bay bee!!
    Just kidding, nice gun, it's all good.

7. djg1965

djg1965 Active Member

Thanks for quick suggestions. However, I should expand a little. I have zero experience with the hammer fired platform. I just don't feel comfortable with it and am hesitant to carry one. I know that ignorance is driving this, but can't get past it. Striker fired is where I'm comfortable.

8. djg1965

djg1965 Active Member

Are shooting hammer guns a better experience? Don't most people believe that hammer fired guns are more safe?

9. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Gen 3 G19 Shooter Supporter

Today's modern hammer fired firearms have many internal safeties making them as relatively safe as striker fired firearms (with the notable exception of some Single Action Replica Revolvers which are typically carried hammer down on an empty cylinder).

I have no issues carrying my Kimber .45 "cocked and locked" in a quality holster.
    Between the manual safety, the grip safety, and the transfer bar safety, the ONLY way that pistol is going to go "Bang" is if I want it to.

I used to be paranoid of hammer fired pistols with de-cockers, but after a little experience with a few models those fears were alleviated.

In today's litigious society, no firearm manufacturer or importer is going to willingly sell a firearm that's unsafe.

The biggest difference between a striker fired pistol and a hammer fired pistol is that the hammer fired pistol* will generally have a lighter, crisper trigger pull with a shorter reset.

* In Single Action. Double Action triggers are typically long and heavy, having to cock and release the hammer. Single Action/Double Action (SA/DA) pistols can start hammer down on a loaded chamber with a double action trigger pull on the first round and single action pull on any subsequent rounds in the magazine. De-cocking this system drops the hammer and returns the pistol to Double Action function.

10. Lucian_253

I think a sig would be your best bet then. It is SA/DA using a de cocker. No external safety to worry about.

11. Lucian_253

While they may have more safeties, I don’t find them more safe. I carry striker fired 99.9% of the time. As long as I keep my finger off the trigger. I find them to be safe.

j102 and mattm like this.
  12. mattm

Imo, the human makes for a safe or unsafe gun. I have 3 hammer pistols, 8 striker. The hammer guns don't get carried, as they're heavier and prettier. The sr is my wifes learn to shoot gun, and a lot of fun at 3 cents a round.The M9 and 1911 are great open carry guns if you're military or competing and loaded up, but for conceal/edc I think there's a lot more rationale choices with striker fired pistols. I have my m9/1911 as home defense and range guns these days.

j102 and Lucian_253 like this.
  13. mattm

M9, same thing. DA/SA with decocker, and safety. I take the safety off before racking which makes first round single action. 9 stitches in my trigger finger, and after 40 years, it still appreciates me skipping the 12 pound pull :D

Lucian_253 likes this.
  14. Lucian_253

You can convert them to just decocker I believe.

15. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Simply stated, the single action trigger.

A very simple analogy is that the single action trigger pull of a 'good' SA or SA/DA semiautomatic pistol should feel like the trigger pull of a quality single action revolver... light, short, and crisp.

As implied in the previous posts, 1911's are well known for having 'very good' single action triggers.

Good luck! :D

Best regards,

Bob

Danzig and Southlake like this.
  16. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    ^^^yup^^^
    Add another vote for the 1911.
    Plus nothing says, MERICA! like a 1911!

Lucian_253 and mattm like this.
  17. Genifour

Genifour Active Member

I have a lot of trigger time on 1911’s. It was my primary weapon from 1990 to 1995. The team I was on never switched over to the Beretta. I absolutely love the 1911. With all of that being said, the S&W TRR8 is my all time favorite hammer fired pistol. It is also the only firearm that I regret selling.

[​IMG]

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/featured_handguns_hg_0208_03/138496

Lucian_253 likes this.
  18. buddy157

buddy157 Active Member

i have 2 hammer fired guns

1) CZ 75 B 9MM

2) CZ 97 B .45 ACP

love'em

love my striker fired guns as well.

is one type any better over the other?

i dunno, i ain't the expert, and i'd venture to guess even the experts would debate themselves.

mattm and Danzig like this.
  19. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

20. djg1965

djg1965 Active Member

Ya know, I've read many articles and watched many videos on this subject. I should have asked here first. A lot of great information from knowledgeable people. Thank you all very much. BTW, I think I will take the plunge shortly.

buddy157, Genifour and Danzig like this.