Ham Radio!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SargeRN, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bish1309

Bish1309 Active Member

Awesome. Those look similar to the P-51 A or B. The "D" version of the 51 is my favorite. Love that full canopy. Thank you for your service.

I have found several local clubs and am looking to see what would work for me. In the meantime I went on-line looking for classes/courses and found this....

https://hamradioprep.com/pricing/

I took the sample course and obviously aced it. 5 or so test questions. Fairly easy.

LElliott and Danzig like this.
  2. Robert Kittine

Robert Kittine Active Member

Back when I got my initial Novice License, you had to be able to send and receive Morse Code at 5 Words Per Minute and the 13 for the General and 20 for the Extra. Now there is no code requirement and the initial theory tests are pretty easy. You should have no problem. The Extra is a lot harder but not necessary.

73- Bob - WA2YDV

LElliott, Danzig and Bish1309 like this.

3. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

P-51D, My all time favorite WWII fighter. One of them now is 'Quick Silver' My Brothers and I went to the 'Legends & Leaders' Mustang round up at Rickenbacker Field south of Columbus in 2007. Had almost 100 Mustangs there. Quick Silver.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    34MOS, SJ 40, Danzig and 2 others like this.
  4. Robert Kittine

Unfortunately they are getting fewer and fewer and harder and harder to find engines. We have one locally at Brookhaven here on Long Island. I miss going 400 MPH at tree top level.

LElliott, Danzig and Bish1309 like this.
  5. Bish1309

Bish1309 Active Member

That is so damn cool. Love the color scheme...or lack of? hahahaaaaa

LElliott likes this.
  6. Bish1309

Bish1309 Active Member

And the sound given off by the Merlins. Ooh-la-la!

SJ 40 and LElliott like this.
  7. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

8. mattm

mattm last one, I promise Supporter

Times have changed. Size difference is amazing. I worked on the bigger one, bits and pieces, in experimental stage, 30 plus years ago DSCF2383.jpg . Stealth tech in machining is a challenge.

9. Robert Kittine

My IP was a WWII P-40 Driver and really showed me how to put the 51 thru its paces. You really don't want to spin one though unless you start at over 10,000 feet. And if you have to pay for Fuel and Prestone, you need deep pockets. Of course today you aren't getting one without really deep pockets to begin with. Glad the USAF paid for my fun.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  10. LElliott

You know Rich Wyeroski? Good friend of mine.

11. LElliott

You could literally eat off that thing!

Bish1309 likes this.
  12. LElliott

From the outside:

From the inside:

Explanation of Paint scheme(livery) and other features by owner Scott 'Scooter' Yoak.

mattm and Bish1309 like this.
  13. Zebra

Zebra Active Member

Yes licensed since 1966! Still active on 2M/440 and will get back on HF once I purchase a new rig....hopefully around Black Friday. I'm looking at the YAESUE FT 5000MP and will most likely put up a 40M full wave loop and a 75M Dipole or Inverted V? Never been a contester, but I like simple "Rag Chewing" on phone and CW. I never got into the digital modes, nor do I have an interest in them...

14. Robert Kittine

Don't know Rich. Does he own a 51?

I do work Air Mobil and have BNC Conntectors on the bellies of each of my aircraft. Pop on an appropriate Rubber Duck and hook up an HT and the Aviation Headset Adapter and have fun, especially during VHF Contests.

Bob

LElliott likes this.
  15. LElliott

No he doesn't.