Haha! I can shoot at the gamelands! For $20 all year!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by deadlift560, Jun 5, 2012.

1. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Pa state law- if you have a hunting license you can use the state game lands range, with one guest. "high five" going to get my license for this year tomorrow. Win win. Get my hunting license early and get to shoot, with the wife! Only $20 a year! I win! :)

2. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Yeah I know. My pap ( retired Leo, township supervisor and game control) pointed it out to me. Major loophole. Beats driving my ram 20 miles one way and paying $30 a year every time I wanna shoot. 5 mins up the street. :) now I just need to find some of those big paper silhouette targets. Any ideas?

3. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Silly me. eBay was a lot cheaper then cheaper then dirt or sportsman

4. I go to walmart on stocking day (if you shop there you know when it is) and ask for the larger and medium boxes. Then i lay them out flat and cut out a human shape (neck to waste) from each box, as many as i can from each. Then I take a ruler and find center and a few other spots and hit them with dayglo orange spray paint.

I keep a bunch of those thick pointed wooden garden stakes around and those black paper clips that you squeeze open. I put a few stakes in, a clip on each side and viola a human shaped target about the same height. I can make hundreds for the cost of a can of spray paint, few clips, and a few stakes. Paint lasts for a looooooong time.

5. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Good idea' you can get 60 on eBay for $15. Guess its all about rather make em or buy em lol. I can't spray outside. So im gonna have to buy.

6. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

Wish VA was like that ... in this area people use shotguns to hunt deer ... :(

7. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Some people here use shotguns here too lol

8. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

So glad the state changed that reg last year to require some kind of pay permit to shoot at the SGL ranges.
    It's a shame that they've closed a lot of the shotgun (shot) ranges and only allow slug guns now. My range use permit exipres end of june (Range permits are valid for a fiscal year July 1-June 30), so i'll just get my hunting license. It's nice you can bring a guest and it's a great service the state provides.

As for the targets, i end up using craft roll paper http://www.amazon.com/Pacon-5636-Kraft-Paper-40-lb/dp/B0006BAWKQ or news print paper http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Newspr...office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1338982471&sr=1-7 with 3" inventory marking stickers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVPNAK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00.

Since we can't setup our own targets (it's "illegal" and can earn you a fine) at PA SGL ranges, Nuk's box is idea is great to affix to the "Backstop" frames. At least at SGL 43, the rubber backstop sheets seem only to be 1 per 2 person shooting station. It would afford 2 "backstops" per shooting table. Gotta love cheap targets.

D

9. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

In Ohio you can ONLY use Shotguns to shoot deer!

10. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

You can't set up your own? My pap and I where out there Monday and set up and all was fine. Nothing said. I will have to call my pap and ask

11. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

According to this, you can? (4) An individual or an organized group using the range is responsible for keeping the area clean and free of debris, and may not discard, deposit, leave or throw litter except in approved refuse containers. Range users shall remove targets from range backboards when shooting is completed and prior to leaving the range.

12. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

yeah, here in Hampton Roads that's the case (due to population) ... but in the mountains high powered rifles are the norm.

13. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Yeah people use either or here. I fell in love with a 12 gauge recently so I may be using it instead of my 30-30.

14. dwcfastrice

Unfortunately, you can't. Seen multiple fines given out for people who set up boxes, real estate signs, spinners, golf balls, etc. Both at SGL43 and at York. ON the board with the "rules" there is a section pertaining to setting up your own "backstops".

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/subchapJtoc.html
    under "b. prohibited acts":
    "(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard."

Emphasis here is "permanent". That means you cannot stake in, place, or setup your own target hanger.

This is according to the Game Warden I spoke to that was "observing" us at SGL 43 a couple of weeks ago. According to him, he doesn't normally write people up until there are multiple infractions. It's usually, setting up your own targets and shooting in front of the firing line. Or Setting up your own targets and having more than 3 rounds in the rifle.

Now, if you take Nuk's cardboard box idea, and affix those boxes to the "permanent" backboard frame, I don't think the warden would have an issue.

D

15. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Here they have the stakes that are permanent. You slide the silhouette down into the stakes. Lol

16. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

Here we have the backboard frame, with targets AT the range in a shed. I think its just drywall, and you staple your own silhouette to the top one and go for it. That's how we did it and no problems

17. dwcfastrice

Nice, the one at SGL43 doesn't. It only has the wood backstop frame. From what I remember, the same for York. (last I looked, it's been a while).

IF they have the permanent stakes (stake embedded in Concrete- which i've never seen at an SGL- not one you pound in the ground- that's not permanent), setup by the State, then you're not "setting anything" up since it's pemanent.

If you setup your own "spinner" or sign or frame, whatever, it's removable, and that's not OK.

BTW, which SGL are you shooting at?

****Edit**** just saw your next post. You have a shed??? must be nice. SGL43 has a parking lot. :rolleyes:

D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  18. deadlift560

deadlift560 New Member

50 I think. Yeah the stakes are permanent. They even have a lever to spin. But all you do is drop the silhouette in, stapled to the drywall and go for it lol

19. dwcfastrice

DUDE> that is AWESOME. I need to write to the area commissioner to get one of those put in.

Heck, i'd even volunteer time and materials to put it in.

D