Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

In the past I have praised Overwatch Precision for the PolyDAT which was sent to me by mistake when I ordered a gen 3 tb with a smoothed faced trigger.

This 19.4 has been seen on these forums wearing "gold". I've put most of the OEM parts back in. The trigger pin is OEM, but the slide lock (take down lever), locking block pin, and trigger housing pin are stainless version. I even swapped out the mag catch spring trying to narrow down why my magazine followers were getting passed my slide stop lever.

Unfortunately I narrowed it down to the Overwatch Precision PolyDAT, specifically the shoe itself. Apparently, it's a known issue since they updated their design to accommodate Gen 5. The shoe narrows at the top, which on my 19.4 allows enough wiggle room to cause the slide stop lever to tilt.. Under the weight of the slide and recoil spring, the slide stop lever will then push the trigger pin out about an 8th of an inch. More of my magazines would work in this scenario, but some followers were still getting passed the slide stop lever causing the slide to fail to lock back.

I tried loctite to keep the trigger pin centered. Most of my magazine followers were getting through when I did.

Having enjoyed the flat face of the shoe and the pre-travel and over travel reduction.. I decided to order an Apex Tactical trigger shoe which I installed on the polished gen 3 TB supplied with the PolyDAT using a vice, and while I think the pin could afford to go in just a bit more, I'm afraid to hit it as hard as it would take to get it to sink any further in the trigger shoe. It's at least made it through the trigger bar, and into the opposing hole on the shoe.

I kind of miss the width of the PolyDAT trigger face.. I'm digging the feel of an aluminum trigger and the trigger pull itself is great. I have one magazine that potentially has bent lips or something but all of my other magazines now seem capable of consistently locking the slide back on the final round and my trigger pin is staying put. Slide stop lever no longer has excess wiggle room.

I'm curious how the same trigger shoe would feel on the stock Gen 4 bar and how much of what I consider a huge improvement over the stock configuration can be attributed to the gen 3 trigger bar. Quite frankly I don't think it's going to get much better than it is right now while maintaining a reasonable pull weight for defensive carry as well as maintaining any internal safety mechanisms and I've had my fill of tinkering.

I meant to add somewhere that the trigger swap didn't actually make me shoot any better nor did I expect it to. Practice has. But it did add quite a bit of yum factor to this particular 19.4 and there isn't enough overtravel to cause sight movement in dry fire anymore. Sweet trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's good that you were able to track down the problem. Seems like it was an ongoing scenario with twists and turns, coming to a satisfying halt.
I've got to wonder if that's why my trigger pin walks on my gen 3 frame using a gen 5 trigger. Gen 5's seem to have more side-wiggle than gen 3's do, in a gen 3 frame.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good that you were able to track down the problem. Seems like it was an ongoing scenario with twists and turns, coming to a satisfying halt.
I've got to wonder if that's why my trigger pin walks on my gen 3 frame using a gen 5 trigger. Gen 5's seem to have more side-wiggle than gen 3's do, in a gen 3 frame.
That could be. Does your slide stop lever also wiggle a lot? I could add pressure from the sides of my magazines and some of the followers would get through, some of them wouldn't. Now my slide stop lever barely has any play at all other than up and down.

If that is the issue the slide stop lever stopped the trigger pin from walking any further and I might not have been concerned other than my magazine followers getting through. If my strong palm put enough pressure on the corner of the magazine I'd hear the magazine spring go "Thunk" and I could pull my slide back and it not lock. I could get the same effect by giving a little counterclockwise pressure from the baseplate of my magazines. I mean, brand new gen 5 mags, and even the one gen 4 mag I have left that now all seem to work fine since swapping out my trigger shoe.

A gen 3 trigger shoe might result in a tighter fit for you, but that's just a guess as my 19.4 is the only Glock I have experience with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't know why anyone would want to replace the factory installed Glock trigger. IMHO, it's a very good trigger.
I think you'd probably get it if you felt the trigger on this gun now vs what it was. But to each their own huh? Swapping out the trigger bar for another OEM trigger bar and replacing the trigger shoe isn't really a huge deal, given it doesn't bypass safety mechanisms imo.

I would absolutely do the same thing again, if my stock trigger came with as much overtravel as this 19.4's did.

Where you claim it's "Good".. there were quite a few posts popping up around the time I bought mine on various places people talk on the internet who were initially disappointed with at least, 9mm gen 4 triggers vs what they were used to with gen 3. I don't own a gen 3 to compare but I was curious how different a gen 3 TB would feel.

At the same time, I've seen others who seemed to prefer the gen 4. Perhaps some were rougher than others. I kept reading "It'll smooth up with use". It didn't. There was nothing "good" about how that pull felt to me. Take up. Wall.. pressure pressure.. pressure.. pressure..pressure..pressure. break and shake. Measuring the pull weight, if I remember right it was only like 6ish lbs. Not heavy. Just rough and quite a bit of overtravel, at least that's what the shake was about. Entirely detrimental? Eh. I still hit targets with less skill than I have recently started to acquire. But it feels like an upgrade.

I'm also going to point out the first sentence of the OP. I ordered an OEM gen 3 TB with smooth face. That might have been all it took, but, I was sent an aftermarket part by mistake. Thankfully it at least came with the gen 3 TB.

I wish the Overwatch Precision shoe had worked out. Aside from the slide release issue, the shape of that shoe felt good. The trigger pull felt good. Having expressed that before on these forums I felt like I should share the issue it caused and how I solved it.

With OEM parts near impossible to find, and no desire to go back to the stock gen 4 bar and serrated trigger shoe I did the next best thing I could find without defeating safety mechanisms.

If the result is a satisfying smooth trigger pull with a crisp break on a functional weapon with a pull weight of 5 to 5.5lbs, internal safeties in tact. I personally don't see why I wouldn't.

It could be argued the stock configuration at least went bang and didn't present the issue that the Overwatch shoe I decided to give a trial run produced. Truth. But all it took was a different trigger shoe to fix and the result is quite nice, and before the Apex shoe I'd still only paid for a gen 3 part.

I took it to the range the first time with the new shoe yesterday and very much enjoyed the experience.

Now you know why I did what I did. :)

·
!3M TA3
614 Posts
You know, you might have received a very early production Gen 4 G19.
I have a post on here where l just recently purchased a Gen 4 G22 LE TRADE IN. I found out it was made in the first weeks of the introduction of the Gen 4 pistols. It reads 5.5 lb. trigger on the Glock box, but was actually a 6.2 lb. trigger. WHY? The very first Gen 4's left the factory with a non marked connector. This connector made the trigger pull in the 6+ lb. range.
In the later made Gen 4 pistols (late 2011 and on) the Gen 4 started leaving the factory with a DOT "." connector which was making the trigger the CORRECT 5.5 lbs.
My cousin did a test on my trigger with his trigger gauge and after 5 test pulls it was 6.2 lbs. When talking about it in my post, member GlockGuide sold me a DOT "." connector for my Gen 4 G22.
After installing the DOT connector in my G22 my cousin did another 5 pull test and my trigger pull is now 5.5 lbs. That's why l think you might have had an early production Gen 4 G19.
Unless you KNOW it had a DOT connector and something else was wrong with your trigger.
I had a Gen 3 G21 and it had a sweet 5.5 lb. trigger. I also thought because the Gen 4 has that bump on the trigger bar it made the trigger pull harder, or gritty.
Members here that are Glock aholics assured me that the bump plays no negative role with the trigger pull.
If you watch YT videos there are those that swear up and down to file the bump down, or replace the trigger bar with a Gen 3 trigger bar and it's guaranteed to lower your trigger pull by 1.5 lbs.
To me, the jury is still out on that one.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You know, you might have received a very early production Gen 4 G19.
I have a post on here where l just recently purchased a Gen 4 G22 LE TRADE IN. I found out it was made in the first weeks of the introduction of the Gen 4 pistols. It reads 5.5 lb. trigger on the Glock box, but was actually a 6.2 lb. trigger. WHY? The very first Gen 4's left the factory with a non marked connector. This connector made the trigger pull in the 6+ lb. range.
In the later made Gen 4 pistols (late 2011 and on) the Gen 4 started leaving the factory with a DOT "." connector which was making the trigger the CORRECT 5.5 lbs.
My cousin did a test on my trigger with his trigger gauge and after 5 test pulls it was 6.2 lbs. When talking about it in my post, member GlockGuide sold me a DOT "." connector for my Gen 4 G22.
After installing the DOT connector in my G22 my cousin did another 5 pull test and my trigger pull is now 5.5 lbs. That's why l think you might have had an early production Gen 4 G19.
Unless you KNOW it had a DOT connector and something else was wrong with your trigger.
I had a Gen 3 G21 and it had a sweet 5.5 lb. trigger. I also thought because the Gen 4 has that bump on the trigger bar it made the trigger pull harder, or gritty.
Members here that are Glock aholics assured me that the bump plays no negative role with the trigger pull.
If you watch YT videos there are those that swear up and down to file the bump down, or replace the trigger bar with a Gen 3 trigger bar and it's guaranteed to lower your trigger pull by 1.5 lbs.
To me, the jury is still out on that one.
:rolleyes:
Mine came installed with a dot connector. It currently has an NP3 coated OEM dot connector. The weight of the pull had nothing to do with the feel of that trigger vs the feel I have now. It's simply smoother in operation, with a crisp break, and reduced overtravel. I honestly care little about the weight of a trigger as opposed to how smoothly it operates. If anything I prefer at least 4-6 lbs of pull weight.

I can't speak for any other gen 4, or any other glock, really. I just know that mine has a sweet trigger on it. This particular G19.4 in its current state is a yummy yummy thing. I think the gen 3 bar has something to do with it and it was more than just a matter of polishing. The feel of the pull between the overwatch shoe and the Apex shoe isn't really much different, though i do like the feel of the aluminum trigger. The feel of both attached to the same gen 3 trigger bar in comparison to the stock trigger and trigger bar is vastly improved to what it was as far as I'm concerned.

Further food for thought. I have two versions of the P365 both 2021 models. A standard model that has a super smooth 5.10 to 5.12oz pull. The smoothness made me think it was super light or something. I've left that FCU be.

My XL on the other hand had a very gritty feeling trigger from the wall to the break and I've had the FCU apart on more than one occasion trying various things to smoothen it up. Otis dry lube seems to be doing the trick. My point is though, you can pick up two guns of the same model and get a different trigger pull due to the way tolerances stack, or just the right combination of two edges meeting.

I will add that yes.. there has been some debate about the effect of a gen 3 trigger bar in a gen 4 9mm platform. It was when I got the P365 that I decided I was willing to grab a gen 3 part for the 19 and see for myself. Unfortunately mine came with an aftermarket trigger shoe and I don't know how much they might be playing their part, but I like it.

·
!3M TA3
614 Posts
Mine came installed with a dot connector. It currently has an NP3 coated OEM dot connector. The weight of the pull had nothing to do with the feel of that trigger vs the feel I have now. It's simply smoother in operation, with a crisp break, and reduced overtravel. I honestly care little about the weight of a trigger as opposed to how smoothly it operates. If anything I prefer at least 4-6 lbs of pull weight.

I can't speak for any other gen 4, or any other glock, really. I just know that mine has a sweet trigger on it. This particular G19.4 in its current state is a yummy yummy thing. I think the gen 3 bar has something to do with it and it was more than just a matter of polishing. The feel of the pull between the overwatch shoe and the Apex shoe isn't really much different, though i do like the feel of the aluminum trigger. The feel of both attached to the same gen 3 trigger bar in comparison to the stock trigger and trigger bar is vastly improved to what it was as far as I'm concerned.

Further food for thought. I have two versions of the P365 both 2021 models. A standard model that has a super smooth 5.10 to 5.12oz pull. The smoothness made me think it was super light or something. I've left that FCU be.

My XL on the other hand had a very gritty feeling trigger from the wall to the break and I've had the FCU apart on more than one occasion trying various things to smoothen it up. Otis dry lube seems to be doing the trick. My point is though, you can pick up two guns of the same model and get a different trigger pull due to the way tolerances stack, or just the right combination of two edges meeting.

I will add that yes.. there has been some debate about the effect of a gen 3 trigger bar in a gen 4 9mm platform. It was when I got the P365 that I decided I was willing to grab a gen 3 part for the 19 and see for myself. Unfortunately mine came with an aftermarket trigger shoe and I don't know how much they might be playing their part, but I like it.
You find that adding the Gen 3 trigger bar to your Gen 4 made it better. If so, in which way?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You find that adding the Gen 3 trigger bar to your Gen 4 made it better. If so, in which way?
I don't know how to be more elaborate than I went from a pull with a hard wall that broke from the wall with a lot of overtravel to a trigger that has a smooth pull and breaks like glass after a small amount of smooth creep from the wall with enough of an overtravel reduction that I no longer notice it at all, leading to a more forgiving trigger that lets me concentrate a lot less on the trigger pull without moving the front sight. I've made similar descriptions throughout this thread though.

I cannot be 100% certain how much of that is due to the trigger bar or the aftermarket trigger shoes, or a combination of both and am not willing to put the effort into installing them onto my gen 4 bar to check. :) But given that both of the aftermarket trigger shoes feel similar and vastly different to how the gun felt with the gen 4 bar and serrated trigger I'm inclined to believe the gen 3 bar is playing its part.

I feel like I should probably note that using a gen 3 bar in a gen 4 glock requires the mag release to stay in a right handed configuration. The bump on the gen 4 bar is there to keep it in place should the mag catch be reversed for lefties.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts