Guns vs religion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BLCKWLF, Feb 6, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

How do you, if you have a religion, justify carrying a gun and possibly taking a life? This is not to become a religious argument but I am simply wondering how others who carry perceive the issue. For instance,
    Shall the ax boast itself against him who chops with it? Or shall the saw exalt itself against him who saws with it? As if a rod could wield itself against those who lift it up, Or as if a staff could lift up, as if it were not wood! (Isaiah 10:15 NKJV)
    "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

2. fls348

fls348 New Member

I'm not overly religious by any means, however I have no issue carrying or taking a life if the situation justifies it. I'd only do if it were deemed necessary and wouldn't loose a bit of sleep over it. Just my two cents but again this is coming from a non practicing catholic, but a catholic none the less.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Completely respectable opinion, as a church worker, I have my justifications personally and biblically. I wouldn't loose a bit of sleep over it either.

4. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Your quotes didn't make sense to me, but I understand the spirit (no pun intended) of your question. Justification is the protection of my family. Anyone who would "turn the other cheek" so to speak and allow a criminal to use deadly force against the innocent (who are not in a position to make that choice) needs to have their head examined.

5. Zt1985

Zt1985 New Member

I am a "practicing" Christian, in the sense that I believe in salvation through Christ, I also believe that defending ones family and self does not go against my faith. I believe God calls men (and women) to defend what is most previous to them.

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Perhaps you might find this verse useful... Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. (Luke 22:36 NKJV)

Jesus said this just before he went to the garden to pray, where he was arrested. Basically, "protect yourselves".

7. azpacfan

azpacfan New Member

As a Christian and a CCW permit hold i also would not lose a wink of sleep , if due to a them or me situation, i was forced to take a life! Living here in Tucson AZ it is getting to be a normal situation to see people carry and most likely concealed carry! I also help with security at my church, and not only is it accepted but also encourage buy my Pastor.

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Psalm 144
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight

9. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

My pastor also said openingly one sunday morning that if anyone in the church has a ccw that they r welcome to carry incase anything were to happen. We have had "interesting" vistors...i am also in Arizona, in phx....

10. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

That is a good verse. I asked my dad about this a while back and I have to find his response. There are certain times in the Bible where Jesus says to arm yourself. If memory serves me it is if you are being persecuted that the other cheek thing applies but to protect life of your family is good. I will have to find it or otherwise get him to write another thing on this.

11. ZOMBIESLAYER

ZOMBIESLAYER New Member

As a card carrying atheist I have no problem at all! And on a side note, why are christians so afraid of dying? J/k don't shoot me! Hahaha

12. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I think everyone is afraid of dying, at one point in their lives at least.

13. series11

I know Zombieslayer is just poking fun. There is a misunderstanding I think of what a Christian is and for a long time society and the media have portrayed us as wackos. Also to add Christians haven't portrayed ourselves well either.

The context behind the one commandment on taking a life isn't do not kill. It is do not murder. There is a differnce between these. There is also a stereotype of Jesus being meek and humble all the time. He is painted usually with a lamb, looking very serene. He is kind and gentle but not all the time. He is a warrior and someone should attempt to paint him in Revelations. Both war and peace are created and in God and he uses both to interact in our lives. We as Christians, especially us men, have a battle to fight. I strongly believe in fighting and taking a life when it is protecting others or ourselves. Persecution is another issue and will post something from my dad on that but one thing is clear we as Christians have the green light to shoot an intruder that is seeking to kill us and our families.

14. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I feel the same way

15. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Let's just say if anyone were to "attack" my church I know if at least 20 Glocks, yes Glocks, that will end the situation. On a note to the "card carrying atheist", I am not afraid to die, just afraid to leave a job uncompleted. Another good one, You shall speak to him, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Have you murdered and also taken possession?” ’ And you shall speak to him, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord: “In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth, dogs shall lick your blood, even yours.” ’ ” (1 Kings 21:19 NKJV)

16. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster New Member

I go to church every sunday knowing half the people in my small country church are carrying a gun. I know that not one of them thinks they would be doing something wrong by using deadly force if they had to. CoC

17. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

This sums it up for me... :)

Attached Files:

18. series11

This sums it up for me too!!!

19. ZOMBIESLAYER

ZOMBIESLAYER New Member

Thank you series11 for having a sense of humor. :)