Guns Ineffective in a Bear Attack

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by dslmac2, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

In a study published on Monday, biologists from Brigham Young University found that firearms are not an effective means of preventing injury or death during a bear attack. Dr. Tom Smith led a team that analyzed 269 incidents in Alaska involving conflicts between humans and bears. The researches found no statistical difference in the rate of injury or death between those who used a firearm during a charge and those who were unarmed. Dr. Smith concluded that prevention is the best way to avoid deadly encounters with bears. “We’re seeing more and more people in bear country with guns,” Smith said. “Yet guns, for most people, are not their best option. You don’t even need a gun if you behave appropriately.” In a 2008 study of 176 bear encounters when the human carried bear spray, there were no deaths and only three injuries.

image-3133114709.jpg

2. That's why you carry a Ruger Alaskan chamber in 454 Casule.

3. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

I'd bet that since the study was conducted in Alaska, big guns, including .454 Cassull were considered.

4. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

I carried a 454 Casull as a backup weapon when I bowhunted in Alaska. I put one down with a 45-70. I had a buddy who was charged by a Brown Bear while Salmon fishing. He was carrying a .44 Mag BB's have very thick skulls coupled with the angle the skull presents when charging at you, will present problems. The last round put it down as it entered the snout and was able to penetrate. Had he not been carrying, he would not be here today. Shot placement is obviously key (heart, lungs). Bears are very resilient animals, and if they are dead set on coming after you, they will not stop. Id rather have the biggest something, rather then nothing available. Situational awareness and shot placement will increase your chances of survival. If a bear is just curious, you could probably scare it away which is what I think the study refers to.

5. sigpi11

sigpi11 New Member

I believe this picture says a lot.

image-907135627.jpg

6. Glocked

Glocked New Member

I think the picture is fake. That bear could climb that tree much faster than the person wearing those boots.

But... The wording is genius.

7. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Let's have those biologists go to Alaska for a "field test" and have them "encounter" some bears unarmed and see how it goes haha. I can think of a reason firearms might be ineffective: because you crap your pants when you see a bear running at you or you arms are shaking so much you can't hold it steady haha. I would mush rather face a bear with a very large firearm that with a can of aerosol.

8. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

The only thing stopping an adrenaline-fueled charging bear is either actually incapacitating it with a major hit to the CNS, or convincing it to stop on it's own volition before it gets those massive claws or jaws sunk into your body. The latter is easier to accomplish than the former.