Glock Forum banner

Gun training for LEOs

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  iGlock 
#1 ·
In Arizona, I believe the G22 .40 cal is the standard issue sidearm. However, I'm curious to know what other weapons training you receive either as a full time officer or reserve officer. Knowing what they teach here in AZ would be great but if you are/were a LEO, what weapons training did you receive in the academy? I'm guessing a shotgun, but did they train you on an AR or any other types of weapons systems?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Standard issue really depends on the Dept. I know D.P.S. are running Sig's. I went shooting a couple weeks ago, and on my way home I got busted speeding. Whenever I get pulled over I always tell the officer I'm armed so he knows, and in most cases wants to disarm me while we interact. This officer took my weapons(pistols and shotgun) out of vehicle when he ran my name and info. When he came back(to give me a ticket)he actually told me how much he really liked my G17, and didn't really care for their Sig P229's. It actually turned out to be a not so bad encounter even though I got the ticket:)

#3 ·
Phoenix PD issues the 22, 23, or 27 with an option for the .45cal models as well.

As far as training, IDK for sure. Each department is different. I have my personal training from a friend who is currently retired from Phoenix PD of 30+ years, former homicide division. Great guy.

#4 ·
When I was with the SO we could choose our own sidearm. We were issued Remington 870's and we could choose to carry an M4 as long we qualified with it in Patrol Rifle School. Now with the feds we're issued Beretta M9's, Colt M-16, Remington 870, and Colt SMG. As far as training, we're left to whatever we want to do on our own in the public sector.

#5 ·
This will vary somewhat by state, depending on the state standards, as far as the academy goes, and the dept training will vary as some qualify more often than others, plus varying weapons.

For AZ police academy:

Each cadet shall qualify with firearms as specified in subsection (C). Firearms qualification shall include:
a. 50-shot daytime or nighttime qualification course with service handgun. The minimum passing score is 210 points out of a possible 250 points;
b. Seven-shot qualification course with service shotgun; and
c. Target identification and discrimination course.
http://www.azsos.gov/public_services/title_13/13-04.htm

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I've not had many interactions with the AZ Highway Patrol, so I'm unsure what they carry. From what I've seen in Scottsdale and Phoenix, they seem to all be issued Glock 40 cal full size. But I did hear from one of them that they could opt for a 45 if they wanted. I seem to remember many years ago hearing that officers had the option to carry ARs but I don't think that's the case anymore, but I don't know for sure. I figured a shot gun would be one.

I appreciate the opinions here. If you are not part of SWAT or a special team, it's interesting to hear what others have been trained on.

#9 ·
Currently I would say the majority use Glock 22 or s&w m&p 40. Different departments qualify differently. The one I'm currently trying to become accepted to uses the m&p 40. And give you a box of ammo every two weeks which is nice. And if you want a shotgun you have to qualify and go through training for it. And you can bring your own AR with proper training and again qualifying with it.

#10 ·
Argyle, what are your thoughts on the Beretta? When I bought my G17, it came down to it and the Beretta. I've shot the beretta a good bit and I've had other pistols but I always go back to the Glock. Btw, The Beretta is the only other auto I like besides the Glock.

#11 ·
I will never carry a stock berretta for any reason...

Let me tell you why...

I haven't kept any secret that I got my training on my glock from a personal friend. He just so happens to be a 30+ year veteran of the homicide division of my local PD. A mutual friend of our had recently acquired a berretta. He came in to show us one evening. My PD friend asked if he would like to see something. My other friend asked what. My PD friend asked him to unload it and point it at him, of course we are hesitant, but my other friend complies. No soon does his gun go up, than my PD friends hand reaches out, grabs the slide, thumbs the takedown lever, and rips the slide right off his weapon. Right before my eyes!!! He then explains that LAPD stopped carrying thos gun, or at least modified it with a set screw, for that very reason.

Just food for thought...

#12 ·
blackwolffcf said:
I will never carry a stock berretta for any reason...

Let me tell you why...

I haven't kept any secret that I got my training on my glock from a personal friend. He just so happens to be a 30+ year veteran of the homicide division of my local PD. A mutual friend of our had recently acquired a berretta. He came in to show us one evening. My PD friend asked if he would like to see something. My other friend asked what. My PD friend asked him to unload it and point it at him, of course we are hesitant, but my other friend complies. No soon does his gun go up, than my PD friends hand reaches out, grabs the slide, thumbs the takedown lever, and rips the slide right off his weapon. Right before my eyes!!! He then explains that LAPD stopped carrying thos gun, or at least modified it with a set screw, for that very reason.

Just food for thought...
Yea i heard about berrettas being takeb apart like that during confortations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.