Gun show question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by always_strapped, Mar 16, 2012.

1. always_strapped

always_strapped New Member

If you buy a gun at a gun show do you still have to wait a week or do you get it right there? I don't have my permit yet still waiting for my apt to get it. I'm in Florida and show is in west palm beach. Thanks

2. at gun shows here in Oregon you fill out an app and they call in the background check and you take it home the same day

3. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Same in Ohio - they phone it in, you walk out with the gun.

4. fieldchaser

fieldchaser New Member

I live in Fla to. If you don't have your CCW yet. You will have the waiting period for a handgun but not long guns.
    imho, Gun shows are only good for pawing all the metal and see what feels good in your hand. You usually won't save much money buying there.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. DocSavage

DocSavage Member Supporter

You have to wait 3 full days after the sale....unless you have a CCW permit. On handguns, except for some counties.... I am in Hillsborough, and they make you wait for 3 days on all guns here....

And it's 3 full business days, not counting weekends, or legal holidays...

Went back and read the law..duh
    FS 790.0655
    Doc

6. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

In Georgia there is no waiting period. Check your state laws.

7. always_strapped

Where's the best place to shop for a ar15? In Florida. I heard there's a company in the panhandle that makes the best ones around, anyone know of them?

8. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Here in Oklahoma you can buy any type of long guns and walk out with them right then.
    But, if you want to buy a hand gun, they do the back ground check over the phone and then they have to ship your firearm to a licensed dealer in your area. So you pay for your hand gun and you pay for the shipping and you have to pay a fee to FFL dealer when you go pick up your gun. So needless to say I don't buy any of my hand guns at gun shows. Good place to buy long guns, knives, accessories and ammo though

9. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

No waiting period here on Oklahoma.

10. Caseyglock19

Caseyglock19 New Member

In Arizona you fully the paperwork they make a phone call. You are in and out in 10 minutes. You gotta love America :)

11. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Unless you have your ccw of course ;)

12. always_strapped

Yea I know about the waiting period at a gun store, I was just asking if it was different at a show cause i ( everyone ) has that know it all friend that says different so I just wanted to check. Thanks for the help

13. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Problem with purchases without ccw at the gun show is that usually a lot of the dealers are out of town people. When they are done for the show, they take off and return to their respective hometowns and they either hold on to your purchase until the waiting period ends, or they leave it with another dealer from the show. If they take the firearm back with them they either have to ship it to you or to another FFL close by you, which adds s/h & possibly additional fees. Leaving the firearm with a local FFL that they have a relationship with is usually a better deal.

That said, WPB gun show is MUCH better than Ft. Lauderdale ones in my opinion. More sellers, better selections and even more sensible prices, although nothing beats online prices unfortunately...

Enjoy the show

14. always_strapped

Bocadan, what are some good web sites? I've been all over google sites already. Just want to compare and find the best deals? And also with ordering a gun online how do they run your name and info? Is the same app that you do at the store on the web site?

15. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

I'd say start with buds gun shop, cheaper than dirt, impact sales, kygunco.com, cdnn investments & centerfire systems. for surplus try jgsales & aimsurplus. I also use slickguns.com a lot for user posted deals.

Online vendors don't check anything. That's the ffl's job, hence the $20-30 fee that they charge.