Gun safe where to install

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by glockinonheavensdoor, Jul 11, 2012.

1. glockinonheavensdoor

glockinonheavensdoor New Member

I'm a proud owner of a Safari gun safe. My buddies all came together and chipped in for this safe as a wedding present. I had tears in eyes. My question is this, should I install inside a bedroom closet or leave it outside in my bed room. Whats the best tactical spot.

image-316669632.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. bfish

bfish Member

At my house its out in the bedroom... People will have all sorts of reasons but its really just what you want or works best for you. Will your wife want you taking up closest space, do you want it open where you can get to your guns and lay them out etc... So many reasons and options. But congratulations on getting married and the wonderful present!

3. Devinh2

Devinh2 Guest

Wherever you can bolt it to the floor AND a wall. Personally, I like mine out of sight.

4. glockinonheavensdoor

Thanks guys. Will consider Both options, but in the end might be the anchoring aspect.

5. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Awesome gift bro! I have one in the closet and one in the corner of the bedroom and the closet safe is a real pita to have open.

6. glockinonheavensdoor

Why no light. To deep or to much clothes.

7. xxlrg

xxlrg New Member

Well it takes up the whole closet (very small closet) and the way the door opens is awkward

8. glockinonheavensdoor

Is it bolted to the floor or just wall

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I don't know about this safe and just how it is set up for anchor points but I do have some suggestions.

Tall, thin safes can act like a fulcrum when pulled on from the top and rip anchor hardware from the floor rather easily. If the wrong size screw/washer system is used they will be pulled thru the holes in the bottom of the container.

When at all possible, anchor your safe to the floor and at least one wall with at least two good size wood screws if nothing else.

And a side note: if the safe lock came with a overide key, put the keys somewhere other than in the safe for when that lock fails.

What, OH yes it will, that is what keeps me in business. Electronic locks seem to last about 5 to seven, eight years.

10. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

If I was lucky enough to have a nice safe like that I'd kind of keep it out of sight, yet easily accessible place & put my non-home defense firearms in it. Then right next to my bed I'd have a small pistol safe for my home defense firearm. Of course if you use a long gun for home defense, above scenario may not be the best.

11. chuckds

chuckds Certified Glock Armorer

I have my Homak safe "K Mart 14 years ago" in my closet. It is a cheap safe, but it's stronger than a cardboard box. It went in first before anything else in the closet when I moved from my house to a apartment making it almost impossible to get out of the closet without taking the dresser and cedar chest out first (not pictured). I have always had a monitored alarm system. When I moved into the apartment I had to look for a wireless system. I found SimpliSafe, only $300 with the optional outdoor alarm and $18.00 a month, no phone line needed. I get a text and email every time the alarm is turned off/on or goes off. What I'm saying is that you don't need a $1000 safe if you have an alarm system. You only need to stall the BG 60 seconds before the alarm goes off. As a bonus the alarm protects Family and property 24/7.

image-106232131.jpg

12. glockinonheavensdoor

Some guys think that I may be over doing this, but a police officer once told me criminals steal from good neighborhood

13. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

They get a better bang for the buck in good neighborhoods. Every gun safe I've helped install we've bolted into concrete. No prying it loose from that.

14. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

In my 30 years experience, I've found that criminals will steal from a location with the best opportunities, whether it is a good or bad neighborhood. Dogs, locked doors and windows, activity, nosy neighbors, alarm signs, good lighting, security doors all add a deterrent to many criminals. They will still steal, but maybe the house next door instead of yours if you plan ahead.

15. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Since i've been on the job...a safe bolted into a closet with a moving box (with the back cut off) placed over it.

I almost wanted to write "donations" on it..

Beat was a safe behind a hidden panel in the wall. Panel was a section cut out with himges on inside. When closed, looked like the wall. Had a picture affixed to it that served as a "handle" to open it.

16. glockinonheavensdoor

Finally decided to put the new safe inside my small closet. Like the idea of being out of sight.

image-2446518518.jpg

17. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Merely a discussion topic, as you've already installed your safe. : )

I read an article about safe rooms (as in panic rooms) where they suggested putting the safe in the open with space behind it so that the safe, if large enough, can be used as tactical cover in the event the bad guys make it in the doorway.

Interesting thoughts WRT a safe/panic room setup.