Gun mishaps

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Redhairdontcare, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Redhairdontcare

Redhairdontcare New Member

Has anyone had there firearm accidentally go off open or conceal carry ?

2. Arrestya

Arrestya New Member

Never .....did yours?

3. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Noooope never.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

never have, never will.

5. Redhairdontcare

No I just got my carry permit and I was wondering I planned on conceal carry with one in the chamber so I guess im a little nervous

6. jeremydavis

jeremydavis New Member

One in the chamber is really ( in my opinion ) the only way to carry.

7. Redhairdontcare

The more I read and think about I would agree

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

And that is a healthy attitude to have!

Your biggest ally, your biggest advantage, will be how smart you are when you carry and handle your firearm. Your biggest enemy will also be yourself: in a word, complacency. Never get so comfortable around your gun that you could get careless with it. Be vigiliant at all times about it.

At first, it'll be like "oh, wow, I'm in Walmart with a gun on me!" but after a while, it becomes second nature and you will only notice it when you do not have it on you. Just never handle it unless the conditions warrant it, and be vigilant anytime it is out of its holster.

I'd recommend wearing your holstered gun (unloaded at first) at home for a few days, all day, to get used to the feeling. Once you are comfortable with the weight and bulk of it, with it still unloaded, practice drawing from holster (you can do this in front of a mirror!). Then, practice walking around the house, drawing and addressing imaginary threats. Once you can clear the holster, address a target, and reholster, then you can carry in public....because you practiced!

If nothing else, the sight of you prowling around your house going bang-bang at imaginary targets should be enough for your significant other to force you to go to the range!:D

All this assumes you are already a competent shooter, and only you can judge that.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound preachy! You are on the right track, though! Never lose that healthy fear of a firearm, and practice-practice-practice!

Cheers and have fun! :D:D:D

9. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

and remember the basic rules of firearms.

1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^----exactly what Brutusvk said! All this part of your practice routine!

11. I use to think like you. But I put the G23 on my hip loaded now and its so comfortable that I really dont notice it. After you shoot a Glock and feel how much it takes to pull the trigger you dont really worry about it.

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Redhairdontcare !!

Which model Glock are you going to be packin' ?

13. SamEngel1984

SamEngel1984 New Member

I completely agree...Once I knew how much pressure it took to pull the trigger I didn't mind at all...Plus...If I ever have to use it I want it ready to go.

14. Never....and I'm not trying to be all macho better than everybody...I just train like a sumbitch doing dry fire practice form conceal carry weekly. Muscle memory is the key to safety...I wish I trained in Martial arts as much as I do with weapons...then I would be a bad ol man!:cool:

15. AxeMan

AxeMan New Member

i never have but i have witnessed several. two that come to mind were both IWB holsters one was pushing his sidearm into the holster. it was not sliding in. so he pushed a little harder. BOOM. the leather had folded over into the trigger well and him pushing caused a negligent discharge. the other that know of. is my friend had been drinking and was trying to drive, so wile fooling around with the seat belt he placed his extended thumb through the trigger well and BOOM. hole through his transmission. the first guy shot went between his feet and impacted grass. the second guy went back inside and went to bed. WITHOUT his pistol.

16. Redhairdontcare

A glock 27

17. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

The aforementioned was the best advice I've heard! Just remember you don't wanna end up dead, in jail, or youtube!

18. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Having a holstered gun discharge can and has happened (well documented).
    Glocks, like many others by design, can suffer this fate it handled incorrectly. Your number one safety is between your ears.

I am wary of soft holsters for the same concerns you have. A carried handgun requires a good and efficient trigger guard at all times, not just during the holstering and drawing times.

Please practice with a UN-loaded gun and different concealled clothing while doing the holstering and drawing. DO IT SLOWLY and discover where your problems lie. Many people fail to reholster a loaded gun saftey because the don't pay attention to the cover garment getting trapped and pulled into the holster with the gun. When they noticed this they usually stop pushing the gun down and then pull the garment out!

That can cause a ND/AD whatever you want to call it. The garment pulls the trigger while being removed. Ypu MUST REMOVE the gun first then clear the holster. It is instinct to pull the garment and you have to learn NOT to do this.

Same applies with any holster that has a thumb release or strap safety. These usually ride over the back of the slide and then clip onto the body side of the holster. The strap can get into the triggerguard and force the trigger reward during the holstering of the firearm.

Pay attention to your setup. Look for and practice any situations you think might occur so you know how it feels when you holster incorrectly. Muscle memory is your friend.

Good question BTW!

19. cmeadows

cmeadows New Member

Good comment g-23!

20. +1000 absolutely... lol