Gun Inventory

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by havasu, Mar 21, 2012.

1. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

As a retired police officer, I have accumulated a large amount of handguns and rifles. I pay an additional premium on my homeowner's insurance policy to cover my guns, but the insurance company requested photos with serial numbers on all handguns and rifles.

I took photos of all handguns with the serial numbers displayed, and saved this information in my computer hard drive, my fireproof external hard drive, and also have included a printed photograph or every gun, which is kept in my fireproof safe.

Can anyone provide any other ways of protecting the firearms I own?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Get a second insurance policy covering just the firearms, such as thru the NRA. Their policy is total loss, outright replacement cost.

Protect them from humidity and rust?

3. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Vote out these idiots who want to take them away!

"Guns have only two natural enemies Rust and Politicians!"

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I have photos of all of my firearms stored online so if anything happens to my computers, the photos are safe. I also keep my firearms stored in the best safe money can buy. 1,200 degrees at 2 hours bolted to the floor to protect from an F5 tornado.

5. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've been meaning to do this same thing. I need to ad firearms coverage to my renter's, as I'm only covered for either $2500 or $5000...I don't remember now. Whatever it was, I remember my insurance agent making a joke about not needing more unless I had an arsenal (cue nervous laugh from agent) as I was doing the math in my head thinking I probably need more coverage.

Unfortunately, the only fireproof save I have is one of those file box sized ones, so paperwork and a harddrive are about all I can protect. I'm in a small 1 bedroom apartment and there's literally no place I could put even the smallest fireproof gun safe. I need to move, but can't afford to. My handguns are split between two smaller safes, both with desiccant. My ammo is in a locking cabinet, which is nearly full to bursting, with desiccant. My long guns are just in the closet. I've got various gun locks, of course, but I really want a gun safe. I bought Sack Ups gun socks for everything, since that's the best protection I could get for the long guns for now.

ATF actually has a card they hand out when they're at gun shows that's a "Personal Firearms Record" or something to that affect. I have one, I've had it for a while, but still haven't filled it out.

I need to do the same thing with my electronics. They're nothing special, but if I want them replaced in the event of a catastrophe, I need to put my receipts in the fire safe and record models/serials. A lot of people don't do that and it's all important.

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Email all the SN and pics to yourself. In case of complete loss of the house you will have access to it all through any computer.

7. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

Great idea. This also allows instant to all serial numbers immediately if you carry a smart phone.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I have triple redundancy backup...fire resistant external hard drive, thumb drives in a bank safety deposit box, photo hard copies of all, and of course...Excel spreadsheet on laptop.

Been a Life Member of the NRA since 1977...back when it was cheap to do...so, I also have their 100% insurance for theft and fire.