Glock Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not about a Glock or even a handgun but there is a gun involved, a big heavy one.
One rainy weekend afternoon when I worked in Belgium I was flicking through the boob-tube channels and ran across this bit of madness on BBC. WHAT! :eek: Became an instant fan. Enjoy.
There are also a couple excellent videos on Youtube about the history and training behind the event.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,229 Posts
During my time with the Royal Australian Artillery. One of our least favourite exercises ,was to deploy with the Cavalry. We would use 105mm Pack Howitzers. we would disassemble them load into a APC (M133) travel and deploy reassemble ,fire support and then repeat the process! Used to give the mounted Infantry hours of entertainment (at our expense)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 105mm pack howitzer is a mighty fine and versatile weapon but why, other than to just make your lives miserable, did the powers that be have you go through all that trouble when the APC could have easily towed it?
I saw M133s in Nam towing all kinds of stuff behind them. A general's custom air conditioned command trailer comes to mind.
Admittedly busting your butt and sweating sucks but watching other people do it while you're lounging is entertaining and one of the few pleasures of military life. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evidently they scrapped the 100 year + tradition in 1999.
Sad.
Yeah, that was a sad day all across the British Commonwealth. I feel lucky that I was able to watch it broadcast live three times. The government brought it back several years later but it was a watered down version of the original.
Apparently the bureaucrats decided that it didn't fit in the government's manpower and budget plan any longer. That's probably correct but they apparently failed to realize that it was also one of the British Navy's biggest enlistment incentives.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..................

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,229 Posts
The 105mm pack howitzer is a mighty fine and versatile weapon but why, other than to just make your lives miserable, did the powers that be have you go through all that trouble when the APC could have easily towed it?
I saw M133s in Nam towing all kinds of stuff behind them. A general's custom air conditioned command trailer comes to mind.
Admittedly busting your butt and sweating sucks but watching other people do it while you're lounging is entertaining and one of the few pleasures of military life. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........
Those were the days. When the Australian Army did things for sheer 'buggerment' In Basic Training at Kapooka ! The Barracks had 4 inch brass strips at intervals across the floors in the corridors and about half way up the walls! Every morning we the recruits, got on our hands and knees and with a piece of 4BEE (rifle cleaning patch that measures 2x4 inches ) and Brasso (a liquid polish) and we would shine those strips to a mirror finish! Somebody somewhere decided a 105 pack would fit in the back of a M133 and so it was made to happen!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds like the Marine Corps. If it's on the ground pick it up, if it's standing upright salute it, if it's permanently in place paint or polish it, and if there's an easy way and difficult way to do something guess which way the Corps will want it done? :cool:
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts