Gun cleaning

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by dutchs, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding amateur I haven't done much gun cleaning. I have watched videos and done reading and still have two questions because one thing I have never seen with handgun videos and my kits have them, mops, when do you use them? If at all on handguns. Do you ever oil the bore on your gun barrel? Any help would be appreciated.

2. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

The way I clean my barrel is spray the inside and out with my cleaner which is gunslick. Then take the bore mop an attach a clean patch and run it threw. Until clean and dry using multiple cleaning patches.the only part I oil not too much tho lightly is on top in between the hook that's where a lot of friction is. I don't oil the barrel it self.but I do oil where the barrel enters on the slide and extremely lightly on the slide rails it self using a Qtip.

3. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

But with glocks you definitely don't need a lot of oil at. That's all I own at this time

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I use mops for a final wipe-down of the bore, AFTER I have lightly oiled it and ran so many clean patches thru it that the patches come out clean and dry.

I use it for a final lint-removal wipe, if that makes any sense.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

5. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

No chemicals in the frame. Patches/q-tips only.
    Brake cleaner through the bore and at the chamber opening. Use a bronze brush or flathead screwdriver to scrape off any carbon buildup.
    Bronze brush/tornado brush through the bore.
    Then some patches with CLP on them through the bore.
    There will be enough CLP leftover to thoroughly lubricate your barrel around the outside.
    Reassmble and wipe it all down with a clean patch and you're finished.

Of course you could just get an ultrasonic cleaner.

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I was using CLP but recently switched to Balistol just to try it out (like it so far).

I soak a cotton patch in Balistol and run it through the barrel 2 or 3 times then wipe the outside of the barrel with Balistol and set it aside to "soak" for a few minutes.

I brush off carbon deposits with a tooth brush from most interior parts making sure not to brush it into the striker channel.

I then go back to the barrel where I run a bronze brush through it and then use cotton patches unti they come out clean and dry.

Final step is to use a q-tip to apply extremely light touches of oil to the rail contact points and the front of the slide where the barrel exits.

Hikok45 has a great video on cleaning your Glock: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc[/ame]

7. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Alright you opened a whole new can of worms. Ultrasonic cleaning?? Would you mind expounding on that?

8. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

Ya watch hikok45 channel on YouTube about glock cleaning IV been doing it his way ever since

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, boy!

I have and use ultrasonic cleaners on all my guns (and brass cases prior to reloading), and have done so for years.

Basically, here is what you would do to clean a Glock (or any handgun for that matter):

1. Detail strip

2. Plug U/S cleaner into outlet, fill tank with water, mix in your desired cleaning agent per instructions (I use Hornady Gun Cleaning Solution for ultrasonics).

3. Put gun and parts into the basket, put basket into the cleaning tub.

4. Turn it on, let it run one cycle (typically 8 minutes) with heater ON.

5. When the buzzing stops (end of one cycle), turn the parts around (to allow loosened dirt, etc to flow out of all nooks and crannies), and run for another cycle.

6. When that's done, take parts out one at a time, rinse with HOT flowing tap water, then blow-dry with air compressor.

7. Lubricate ALL parts (the cleaning removes all lubricants and antirust coatings, so this is critical!), wipe off excess.

8. Run an oiled patch down the bore. Follow-up with clean, dry patches to wipe off all excess (and you can use a mop tip to remove the lint when done).

9. Reassemble the gun

10. Function check.

You're done.

No nasty chemicals.

No scrubbing.

No splattered cleaning solvents.

Been doing this for years, got a couple of threads on here (under Gunsmithing) about ultrasonic cleaning.

Hope that helps!

10. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

^THIS. The contractors at FLETC used this method to clean our pistols and M-16's at the end of each day of shooting. It makes it much easier to clean large numbers of weapons quickly with minimal labor.

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yep, it is a LOT easier than the traditional methods of cleaning, and no aerosols involved!

Keep in mind, though, that good ultrasonics are not cheap, and cheap ultrasonics are not as good...they get the job done, no doubt, but often require multiple cycles to do so.

A lot more info in the following threads:

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/cleaning-lubricating-1851/

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f10/ultrasonic-cleaner-2552/

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/how-do-you-clean-your-glock-1261/

Hope that helps!

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I am a pistolsmith, and one of my services is periodic gun cleaning for my "clients".

For $25 per revolver, $35 per semiauto, they get the full treatment and come out totally clear of all accumulated crud and filth, even from crevices and nooks and crannies that a cleaning brush could never get into.

Wonderful for cleaning out AR15 bolt carriers and bolt assemblies, too!

Warnings, though:

1. I have had some painted dots on sights come out in the treatment (both rear dot sights in my SA XD-9).
    2. Wood grips are a no-no. They will splinter, crack, and warp into very interesting and amusing shapes.
    3. Had a Tritium pellet in my Beretta 92G's night sights shatter, had to replace it. Fortunately it was my handgun, not a clients'.

Be glad to answer any questions you (or others) may have!

Cheers!

13. One might consider giving the inside of the barrel a light oil coating (moisten a patch and run it through once) if you don't shoot religiously and your firearms might be in storage for any length of time. Same for the exterior exposed metal parts. Can always wipe them off after taking them out from storage, and save the emotional pain of taking a firearm out from storage after a long period of time to see it covered with rust splotches.

Oil/lube is cheap. Firearms are not. I always put a thin coating on any exposed metal surface (including inside barrels) on all my weapons before putting them away just in case they stay in storage for a while. Take them out, wipe them down in 30 seconds, off to the range with no worries about rust no matter how long they've been in storage.