Guide rod

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by npusmc5811, Apr 3, 2012.

1. npusmc5811

npusmc5811 New Member

Read that a after market guide rod really makes the gun run smoother ? Is this true and if so what should I look into ?

2. Smoother??? Ummm, negative.

Where did you "read" this at?

3. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

i been thinking of stainless one. have you tried one mike?

4. npusmc5811

npusmc5811 New Member

Gunblast.com he was referring to the dpm system saying it reduced recoil and ran quicker

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Some people report a perceived reduction in muzzle flip using the stainless steel and tungsten guide rods. I've not tried them, I'm just not buying it really. I don't have any problems with the stock system so I've decided to not try to fix something that's not broken.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. I have a stainless steel guide rod w/factory weight spring in my 22C. I have noticed no change in anything. :)

Only reason I bought it was because after 7 years and 8,000 rounds the factory guide rod started to get a white spot on the plastic at the base of the rod at the end where it pushes up against the bottom of the barrel. Don't know if it was dirt or if the plastic was starting to fatigue, but I didn't wanna chance it. I was going to get a factory piece but heard that the added weight of the SS rods would help reduce recoil, so I got a SS one. Either way it does it's job closing the slide so I'm happy with it.

7. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

The only reason I'd get a SS rod is if I polish my barrel, so it matches lol.

8. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

Ya I'm debating on getting a SS guide rod for my clock 23 but I'm confused about the weights. I believe the stock weight is 18lbs. And the have up too 22 lbs, so is more better or???? Any one that can explain the difference it be helpful

9. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

I think I might agree with bhale if its not broke don't fix it lol

10. Tape

Tape New Member

no change..

11. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

I had also heard that guide rod buffer pads have problems, has anyone used them or know of what good it does?

12. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

The s/s rod I put into my G36 significantly tightened my groups. As for recoil? I didn't notice a change.

13. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

The perceived recoil reduction from choosing a heavier recoil spring assembly rod is 100% mental. There is not enough weight difference to change the actual muzzle flip. Heck, even with my G34 I could perceive a noticable difference in recoil from my G17.

14. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

I'm going shooting tomorrow. I have a G23G4 & a G27G4 I have yet to shoot them with the stock recoil spring in them. Tomorrow I will put the stock ones in and see if there is a difference between stock & SS.

15. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

I haven't really noticed a change. My wife says she felt the difference but I think this is "mental". However, I always end up getting the tungstens. Maybe it gives me a mental edge too. lol

16. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

Thanx glockmaster please let me know your results

17. cbk342

cbk342 New Member

I havent had any problems with my recoil buffer , also have a ss guide rod and spring ive noticed a liitle reduction in recoil in my opinion

18. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Well my son Austin 14 & I went shooting yesterday. I put the stock recoil springs back in both of my GLOCKS 23 & 27 GEN 4's. I did not notice any difference between the SS & stock springs!! A little bit in the 27 but not much.

19. zachGG23

zachGG23 New Member

OK thanx master.I just got Baker from the range and I'm trying to work on my wrist flinching.noticed I sometimes do that.it helps when I keep my wrist and grip tight and focus on smooth trigger pull

20. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

If you keep a firm grip with both hands through the entire shot and follow-through your sights will come back to zero without the need for any type of recoil reduction. Most people make the mistake of relaxing their grip just a hair after the gun goes bang. This causes a need for grip adjustment as the gun recoils/follow through. Don't do that and focus on the firm grip and the front sight. Make a conscious effort of this and after a few more trips to the range it'll be skill/habit and then you can focus on another area for improvement.