Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Glock 43X MOS (new shooter, purchased with edc in mind) and am finding it a bit snappy due to some arthritis. I've seen a few things about replacing the stock guide rod with steel or tungsten to reduce recoil a bit. Is that hype to sell aftermarket parts, or is there a noticeable difference?

· Premium Member
10,873 Posts
I don’t endorse or use aftermarket guide rods but if you want to hear the pitch from Lenny Magill, here you go,
He is a pitchman in the tradition of the great Billy Mays.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 43x also and I too find the recoil to be more "snappy". A longer slide does help, but really just because of the added weight. The slide reciprocation (distance the slide reciprocates) is pretty close to the same distance in my 43x, 19, and 34, but the longer slide length allows for a longer recoil spring for a smoother cycle. I too experimented with heavier grain bullets and the 147gr did have a slight improvement in recoil. I eventually bought a threaded barrel and a two chamber compensator, which to be honest, had a noticeable improvement in cycling and certainly shot a lot flatter (sights didn't rise up as much after the shot). I even splurged and bought the Shield Arms 15 round magazines which works just fine. What I have now is a 43x that is just about as long as a 19, holds as many rounds as a 19. The weight difference is negligible now, but it is a slimmer pistol if that is important to you. After having shot both the compensated 43x and the 19 (both with rds), I find I still prefer the 19. The slim 43x is nice but my thumb rests on the slide release and it often does not slide lock on an empty magazine. I don't have that problem with the 19. More training can resolve this but in the end, I really just spent a bunch of money on a 43x, but still prefer my 19. I do like that I can have a mini weapon light on it and it all fits nicely in a Crossbreed IWB. ymmv

· Registered
Glock 17. Easy on my arthritis
42 Posts
I have the Glock 43X MOS (new shooter, purchased with edc in mind) and am finding it a bit snappy due to some arthritis. I've seen a few things about replacing the stock guide rod with steel or tungsten to reduce recoil a bit. Is that hype to sell aftermarket parts, or is there a noticeable difference?
I bought my first Glock because of my increasing arthritis. Use to carry a concealed Rossi 38. Lots of kick and the trigger was getting difficult. Like RIP states in their reply. I got the 17. Easy trigger and very little kick. My eyes aren't what they used to be so the high capacity mag is a great bonus. Only downside is I can only open carry . I'm too fat and it's to big to fit in my waist holster. I'd never recommend buying aftermarket parts. The original ones are inexpensive enough.

· Registered
G19 and G43x
23 Posts
Just as others have stated it definitely will not help you reduce your recoil but if it's difficult for you to rack the slide you can get a lighter spring which will make it much easier to pull back the slide especially having arthritis with a lighter guide rod spring. You can get them in 19 lb and 17 lb which is the stock weight 15 lb all the way down to 13 lb

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 43x also and I too find the recoil to be more "snappy". A longer slide does help, but really just because of the added weight. The slide reciprocation (distance the slide reciprocates) is pretty close to the same distance in my 43x, 19, and 34, but the longer slide length allows for a longer recoil spring for a smoother cycle. I too experimented with heavier grain bullets and the 147gr did have a slight improvement in recoil. I eventually bought a threaded barrel and a two chamber compensator, which to be honest, had a noticeable improvement in cycling and certainly shot a lot flatter (sights didn't rise up as much after the shot). I even splurged and bought the Shield Arms 15 round magazines which works just fine. What I have now is a 43x that is just about as long as a 19, holds as many rounds as a 19. The weight difference is negligible now, but it is a slimmer pistol if that is important to you. After having shot both the compensated 43x and the 19 (both with rds), I find I still prefer the 19. The slim 43x is nice but my thumb rests on the slide release and it often does not slide lock on an empty magazine. I don't have that problem with the 19. More training can resolve this but in the end, I really just spent a bunch of money on a 43x, but still prefer my 19. I do like that I can have a mini weapon light on it and it all fits nicely in a Crossbreed IWB. ymmv
I shot the G19 G5 at the range today. Liked it much much better than my 43X. I think it's partly due to the thicker grip of the double stack and the "top-heavy" feel of the gun. The 19 is what I should have bought, and would recommend that to anyone who asked my opinion.

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,479 Posts
He sells a lot of bs products and “improvements” that don’t do anything.
He’s a born salesman and made one heck of a career doing it.
I don’t believe I’ve bought anything from his store but he’s tried to make it your one stop Glock shop, even though half of it is snake oil.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
He’s a born salesman and made one heck of a career doing it.
I don’t believe I’ve bought anything from his store but he’s tried to make it your one stop Glock shop, even though half of it is snake oil.
I ordered a couple of OEM Glock parts from the Glock store many years ago, and will never buy from them again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts