Guidance on trigger mech polishing.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Cheese7, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Cheese7

Cheese7 New Member

I'm looking to get my trigger mech on my 23 polished up to get that smooth pull. Anybody know of a place I can maybe send it in to get worked on? I may be able to do it at home...not sure if I trust myself but any advise would be appreciated.

2. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I'm sure you could probably find something on You Tube how and what you need to polish.
    I would do it for you but I feel pretty sure you wouldn't want to send something to someone you don't know and I do not blame you a bit for that.
    Its possible you may want to consider buying one that is already polished.
    If you can completly disassemble your weapon and reassemble it without any problem, I feel certain you shouldn't have any problem with the polishing.
    Good Luck and go slow.

3. Cheese7

Cheese7 New Member

@david1962hd thanks bud. If I can get my hands on a dremel tool with a polisher I may give it a shot. How bad could it go right?

4. fls348

fls348 New Member

Just go slow!

If your worried you can do it by hand with some 2000 grit paper

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Cheese7 !!

As the others have said...go easy or you could mess it up.

6. mike_honcho87

mike_honcho87 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5czjj2-stYI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Here's a good instructional video.

7. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Best advice I can give you, "Go shoot 500 rounds thru the gun." Then you will accomplished two things.

You'll shoot better
    Your trigger assy is now just as smooth and any trigger polishing!

I won't put much faith in the video posted above. Personally, I don't trust folks that don't follow proper breakdown procedures and don't know the names of the parts when they are trying to "TEACH."

8. Cheese7

Cheese7 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to hit it up myself and it turned out great. It sure does feel smoother and lighter. Can't wait to get back to the range

9. teksid

teksid Well-Known Member

Congrats.:D

10. How long does a trigger polishing like this last?

Won't it get all nasty after every time you fire it?

11. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Nothing that regular weapon cleaning can't clear out.

Besides, the polish gives a smoother finish to the metal parts, allowing crud to easily wipe or flush off without scrubbing.

12. Happysniper1 you might have just convinced me to do it to both my glocks! lol

13. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

What your trying to accomplish when your polishing is to "remove" the machining marks on your parts, to help accomplish this while your polishing use a pair of magnifying glasses like a jewler uses, harbor freight has them for around 15.00.
    This allows you to see the area your polishing up close and you can get it much smoother.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Uh-oh! :eek: Disclaimer:

* if it comes out crummy, I never told you to do it :cool:
    * if it comes out fantastic, I'll say I told you so! :D

But, seriously, go slow and build up the polish sheen in stages, and you should be alright. Flitz does not remove as much material as, say, rubbing compound, so if you go slow, check your work, make sure burrs and rough spots are gone, you should be fine.

Cheers!

15. Sounds like a deal Sniper!

16. sgtglock

sgtglock New Member

I've used jewelers rouge on felt bob with a dremel tool. Worked great!

17. mike__bell

mike__bell New Member

The best tool in my Dremel arsenal is an extra fine Cratex polishing bit. :D for polishing, beats a stone in my hand anyday!

18. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Mike__Bell, and WELCOME to the Forum!

If you post a *Hi there* in the "Introductions", other Members will have a chance to say Hi right back at 'ya!

Cheers!