GSSF Guns

Discussion in 'GSSF / IDPA / Competition' started by Webphisher, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

So right now I own a G19 Gen4. I want to shoot more than one division and it looks like the G29 and G30 will allow me to shoot every other division except unlimited. The question is whats the difference between 10mm and .45 auto. Which is cheaper, less recoil, better to get for competition shooting. Granted I will be getting a G34 Gen4, which was actually going to be my next gun, for unlimited but I want to be able to shoot as many division as I can to start.

2. malladus

malladus New Member

The 30 is more popular from what I've seen. I usually seen one 29 pass through at the GSSF my club host every year.

I think the 30 is more popular because ammo costs less, is easier to find, and the recoil is not as snappy. Also the matches are "lost brass"and most the 10mm shooters I know seem unwilling to leave their brass.

Thing to remember with GSSF is there is no power factor, so most shooters tend to choose guns that are easier to control and have softer recoil. That is why 9mm is the most dominant calibre in the non-sub major/heavy metal divisions.

malladus

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I would say G30 due to the cost and availability of ammo,

as well as recoil controlability in rapid fire.

4. Webphisher

Ya thats what I was looking for, I'd actually not even heard of 10mm till recently so had no clue what kind of power it kicked out. After I read the divisions I got sad, I was all set to buy a G34 and enter everything lol. Oh well, guess that means I need another Glock :D

5. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

6. Webphisher

Guess I should have said that better, Id still be using a G34 or at least my G19 for unlimited for recoil reason.

7. malladus

malladus New Member

As has been pointed out you can shoot the G29 or G30 in every divison. The G34 would only let you shoot into unlimited and competition, which you can already shoot your 19 in anyways so no net gain there, plus you couldn't shoot subcompact. The ideal arrangement would be:

G19 - AmCiV, Comp, Unlimited
    G30/29 - sub, majorsub, hvymetal (note that hvymetal is the current name for submajor - 7 shots, but after Griffin I beleive it's supposed to become two seperate classes, submajor - 7-shots and hvymetal - 10+1)

Pretty full plate with only two platforms to shoot. I would say though you will be at a disadvantage in subcompact with the 30/29 as that class is dominated by the 26 just because its easier to handle.

My friend uses his stock 17 in Masterstock, master competition, and unlimited and usually can place in the top 3 in one or more fairly easy. Then shoots a 26 in sub, and then a 30SF in submajor/hvymetal.

malladus

8. Webphisher

Well the G34 would be more accurate than my 19. My 19 will become my carry weapon as soon as I can.

I do want to shoot more than GSSF at some point so that's also we're the G34 would come into play. But for now at least I'll be going G19/G30 then win me a cert an but a cheap upgrade to the G34 :D