Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Welcome to the Glock Forum jatgasr !!

Yes, I believe Glockmeister makes a Gen 4 grip plug...

with the caveat that you cannot be using any of the additional backstraps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, if you put in a grip plug, you can't clear a type 3 ( I think it is type 3) jam where you have to forcefully remove the mag...

·
Registered
58 Posts
SHOOTER13 said:
Good point CBS...
Thanks! The gap behind the mag is there for a reason. Most people think it is to make the back strap area more ergonomic or they have no idea (and don't care) why it's there. I was lucky enough to have an instructor who knew the purpose of the gap...

·
Registered
240 Posts
CBS said:
Thanks! The gap behind the mag is there for a reason. Most people think it is to make the back strap area more ergonomic or they have no idea (and don't care) why it's there. I was lucky enough to have an instructor who knew the purpose of the gap...
Can u explain more what it is for?

·
King of my Castle until my wife comes home
2,953 Posts
I would like to know the answer to that as well.

·
Very Sensitive Guy (^;)
764 Posts
Also, if you put in a grip plug, you can't clear a type 3 ( I think it is type 3) jam where you have to forcefully remove the mag...
The butt plug in my G-21 can be easily removed with an ink pen. That should allow you to clear a type 3 jam (whatever that is).

·
Very Sensitive Guy (^;)
764 Posts
Can u explain more what it is for?
I would like to know the answer to that as well.
Me three. Does it serve another purpose beside clearing a jammed mag (clearing a jam is reason enough though - not that I've had one yet)?

·
Registered
511 Posts
CBS said:
Yes, this is the only thing i thought. The open cavity allows dust, dirt, snow, water, or any other foreign debris to enter you Glock and make its way up to the trigger assembly and firing pin. Interference in this area will affect your shooting.
BUT, if outdoors or in rugged areas where your Glock will get wet, muddy and dirty, this open cavity serves as a flush for things to get out.

·
Very Sensitive Guy (^;)
764 Posts
Yes, this is the only thing i thought. The open cavity allows dust, dirt, snow, water, or any other foreign debris to enter you Glock and make its way up to the trigger assembly and firing pin. Interference in this area will affect your shooting.
BUT, if outdoors or in rugged areas where your Glock will get wet, muddy and dirty, this open cavity serves as a flush for things to get out.
Roger that! Thanks!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
What if you have a extender on your magazine? The extra length might help you get a grip on it to yank it out if you had to. Then again I truly don't know cause myself (like others here) don't know what a type 3 jam is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Type 3 is where an expended brass is still in chamber and the next round Is up against it. All the while the second round is still under the mag lips and jamming mag from coming out on its own. In this situation force could be needed to remove the mag. The groove at the bottom rear facilitates the mag removal by giving room for the thumb to grab higher on the rear of the mag.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Yes that dose help thanks! I'm still thinking you can do it if you have mag extenders on and can get a good grip on those. An yank the mag out.

All so found this video explaining all 3 types of glock malfunctions:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqtq_MPOBk[/ame]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good video. I've had to practice those. I have little fingers so when pulling the mag out I wouldn't grab it from the front and rear I actually found myself grabbing it from the sides worked better for me. I do have a grip plug in my gun just because of how I clear it and because I CC it. Otherwise I may not have if I didn't do both like how I do. I will also pop the plug out if I drop it in dirt/mud and give it several shakes and remove it when I am cleaning it, because you never know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Colorado_Outdoorsman said:
Type 3 is where an expended brass is still in chamber and the next round Is up against it. All the while the second round is still under the mag lips and jamming mag from coming out on its own. In this situation force could be needed to remove the mag. The groove at the bottom rear facilitates the mag removal by giving room for the thumb to grab higher on the rear of the mag.

Hope this helps.

Been away from the forum for a couple of days, thanks for clearing that up for everyone. Most types of jams can be cleared with aggressively racking the slide. However, in a type 3, the slide is jammed as well and will not clear. This is why you have to..well..."rip" the mag out. After the mag is removed, the slide has to be racked to eject the spent round. The gap gives you the leverage you need to grip the mag.

I've never experienced a "real" type 3 with a Glock. The ones I've trained against we're "set up" by an instructor in a malfunction drill.

·
Banned
767 Posts
aside from the forcebly removing the mag, the other reason the gap is there, is that there actually is a lanyard attachment to the bottom of the grip . You will see a little hole there, thats also why its there, not sure who would want to put a lanyard up on it, but whatev lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another option for being able to forcefully remove the magazine in a type 3 malfunction is to remove some of the material on either side of the magazine well so that your fingers can grab the sides of the mag. I will post a picture of what I am talking about. Works great and looks good, plus if you prefer a plug, you can still use one.

.facebook_34197121.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
aside from the forcebly removing the mag, the other reason the gap is there, is that there actually is a lanyard attachment to the bottom of the grip . You will see a little hole there, thats also why its there, not sure who would want to put a lanyard up on it, but whatev lol
They make a plug that has a metal hoop for a lanyard, like so:
DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts