Glock Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm considering buying my first Glock - a G19. It's competitor for me right now is the XD 9. I like the XD trigger slightly better, but I know I can make the Glock trigger just about whatever I want. The main problem is the grip. The XD feels much better in my hand. I would really like to go with the Glock for other reasons, and I'm hoping the Grip Force Adapter will make the grip more comfortable for someone who likes the XD. I think the hump just seems to make my hand fit weird, and the GFA seems to flatten the back out.

Is it likely that the GFA will solve my grip problem, or should I not go with the Glock?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I have GFA on all of my Glocks. It eliminates the possibility of slide bite and helps reduce the grip angle difference slightly that many comment on with the Glock. Go with the Glock you won't be sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Choosing your first handgun should not be based strictly on how it feels, but rather how well you can actually shoot it quickly. You can get an XD to have a very nice trigger using an Apex drop in trigger kit. And you will find that a CZ has much better ergonomics than any Glock, and a way better trigger, in my experience, even better than a 1911. Having said that, however, I have been carrying and shooting Glocks in USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun for 25 years (before was 1911's). I don't use grip adapters, but there are plenty of competitors running Glocks who do. It's like sights, everyone has their favorite. If it gives your confidence, then go for it.

Is there a location where you can rent both guns and do some live fire? That should help you decide

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a place to rent them briefly. From previous experience, I believe the XD felt more natural and will require less "thought" to get it on target. That said, the Glock wasn't slow or bad, just not as good as the XD. I haven't shot them side-by-side just yet. That's why I'm wondering if the GFA will help it point like the XD or other similar guns. So if the Glock isn't quite as natural as the XD for me, maybe the GFA can solve that problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am relatively new to Glocks, and when I first picked up and handled a G22 a couple of weeks ago, I really noticed the grip angle and the hump.
My only other experience is with my Gen 4 G27, and really hadn't noticed the grip thing.
The full size grip made it really more noticeable. I ordered the G22, and had a set of GFA's waiting when it arrived.
I really liked the smooth beavertail over the ribbed one, but the ribbed one was a little longer, and felt better in my hand.
I also added a set of Talon grips to wrap over the backstrap to help smooth the transition, plus add a grippier? surface to the sides as well.
Can't say that it'll make the grip XD like, but it sure made it a whole lot better for me.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that picture and description, mustangman40. Actually really helpful. I guess I'm not actually concerned with making it just like the XD as I am with making it easier to hold. With that angle and hump, I'm either fighting it constantly to figure out just how to make it comfortable to hold, or I'm overthinking the pointing of it. Your Grip Force Adapter + Talon setup looks and sounds like it really makes the grip less "aggressive." Still going to listen to other thoughts, but I'm leaning back to Glock again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts