Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grandson is turning 18 next week so I'm signing him up for an NRA Basic Pistol 2 day clinic. I told him once he completes the basic clinic I'd pay for the NRA Advanced Home Defense 2 day clinic if he wants to take it; and I'm sure he will. Plus he's already completed the Wyoming Hunter Safety course.
Both clinics cover not only firearm and shooting safety and techniques like stance, grip, etc., along with firearm maintenance but also laws and legal responsibilities and such.
He eventually wants to get a CCW and I want him to have as much training and knowledge as possible before then.
I did hint that the Marine Corps would be happy to train him in all sorts of firearms but he just grinned at me and shook his head NO! Which proves that he's smarter than I was at his age. :cool:
Usually factory ammo is required for the clinics, minimum of 250 rounds for each, but the guy in charge said they're allowing hand loads due to the ammo shortage.
Ammo is slowly beginning to reappear on the shelves so I managed to score 400 rounds of factory 115gr FMJ ammo for him to use in his M19 and should be able to find another couple hundred or so before the clinics are held in January. If not I'll just load up some ammo for him.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,576 Posts
Great idea! Getting professional training! My family has a tradition ,that involves every member of our family serves at least 3 years in the military! Some how my eldest son misinterpreted the 3 years part. His been in the army 22 years at this stage!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I believe that every US citizen, male-female-or in between, should serve a minimum of two years in the military.
Unless you're a complete physical or mental basket case, bone spurs don't count, you serve. No college or religious deferments either. Everybody serves. Don't worry, the military will find a use for you.
Blind, deaf, mute, and confined to a wheelchair but still want to serve? No problem, there's always a need for door stops. Only have a right eye? Simple. You'll be paired up with someone that only has a left eye. Now you're a set.
Anybody that wants to be an officer would have to serve one 6 year term as an enlisted person first.
Most people would just do their two years and get out but they'd always remember the experience and would end up with something in common with every other person that served, even if they're of a different color, race, or social position. I think this would benefit our society as a whole.
Those that decide to make a career out of the military would end up making the military more professional. Something along the lines of Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Not the Hollyweird movie version, the book version.
Plus if everybody had someone in the service we'd be more critical of where and how our politicians want to use our military.
Lastly, one big condition. Any politician that votes for a war, police action, or whatever they want to call it, would, along with all their family members of military age, be outfitted in full combat gear and dropped into the deepest part of the ****e. Hey, you thought it was a good enough idea to vote for so enjoy.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,576 Posts
Personally I believe that every US citizen, male-female-or in between, should serve a minimum of two years in the military.
Unless you're a complete physical or mental basket case, bone spurs don't count, you serve. No college or religious deferments either. Everybody serves. Don't worry, the military will find a use for you.
Blind, deaf, mute, and confined to a wheelchair but still want to serve? No problem, there's always a need for door stops. Only have a right eye? Simple. You'll be paired up with someone that only has a left eye. Now you're a set.
Anybody that wants to be an officer would have to serve one 6 year term as an enlisted person first.
Most people would just do their two years and get out but they'd always remember the experience and would end up with something in common with every other person that served, even if they're of a different color, race, or social position. I think this would benefit our society as a whole.
Those that decide to make a career out of the military would end up making the military more professional. Something along the lines of Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Not the Hollyweird movie version, the book version.
Plus if everybody had someone in the service we'd be more critical of where and how our politicians want to use our military.
Lastly, one big condition. Any politician that votes for a war, police action, or whatever they want to call it, would, along with all their family members of military age, be outfitted in full combat gear and dropped into the deepest part of the ****e. Hey, you thought it was a good enough idea to vote for so enjoy.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............
I thoroughly agree with you ! I remember when my Father told me that at 17 I was joining the army! Did I kick up my heels in protest! I'd just started working by myself as a Pro shooter having spent the last 3 years as a 'learner'! Turns out it was what I needed to steady myself down and grow up! To say nothing of the money I saved! I saved enough to go from being a shooter with the basics to a shooter who had a new vehicle ,rifles ,reloading equipment and a nest egg to see me through the hard times, every new shooter encounters!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thoroughly agree with you ! I remember when my Father told me that at 17 I was joining the army! Did I kick up my heels in protest! I'd just started working by myself as a Pro shooter having spent the last 3 years as a 'learner'! Turns out it was what I needed to steady myself down and grow up! To say nothing of the money I saved! I saved enough to go from being a shooter with the basics to a shooter who had a new vehicle ,rifles ,reloading equipment and a nest egg to see me through the hard times, every new shooter encounters!
The military isn't for everybody. Especially as a career. By the end of my 3 years I couldn't wait to get out and away from the boredom and tedium of the military regimen but I think it is something everybody should experience.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I agree and think a couple years of mandatory military service would actually help society overall. It would get a lot of these wayward hoodrats away from all their bad influences for a couple years and show them how honest, disciplined, dignified and hard-working people are supposed to live.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe that it would benefit young people of all levels and sections of our society. From the hood dwellers and middle class suburbanites to the indolent rich kids.
Toss them all together, take away any distractions and privileges, push them hard, and treat them equally.
My chief drill instructor made it abundantly clear what our status was as we stood on the yellow footprints at Dago. "In my eyes you are all equally worthless." The assistant drill instructors voiced similar sentiments.
And thus we were treated until we proved we were otherwise.
Shared pain and abuse are useful bonding agents. :)

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
I believe that it would benefit young people of all levels and sections of our society. From the hood dwellers and middle class suburbanites to the indolent rich kids.
Toss them all together, take away any distractions and privileges, push them hard, and treat them equally.
My chief drill instructor made it abundantly clear what our status was as we stood on the yellow footprints at Dago. "In my eyes you are all equally worthless." The assistant drill instructors voiced similar sentiments.
And thus we were treated until we proved we were otherwise.
Shared pain and abuse are useful bonding agents. :)
In martial arts we were paired up with one person that Master thought would be a good match. If either one of us didn’t do as expected, it was a bamboo stick beat down. After time as a pair you push each other to be better. Also it’s easy to make a mistake & take a beating. It’s a lot harder to make a mistake & watch someone else take the beating for it. I personally trained with my partner for 15 years +.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts