Grammar and spelling

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sarabian, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

So tell me, what are you're feelings on using the rite spelling. Your either going to spell rite or your not, rite?

Seriously, who gets agitated at the common errors seen in places like this with spelling, grammar, and punctuation? I admit that I do get annoyed at trying to figure out what some are trying to say only to realize that they simply used horrid grammar, spelling, or punctuation.

How many say "o its nah big deel i think your just taking things to seereously and u ned to jst calm down"

2. I can understand shorthand sometimes or "texting" type but I cannot understand the blatant misspellings and jacked up grammar used on message boards. It's lazy and ignorant.

3. gnihcraes

gnihcraes New Member

People can't type, so the text speak is used on the computer keyboards too.

4. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

When I post, I know this stuff will be stuck on the internet forever. Having said that, I am horrible at grammar. There are probably errors in this very message. I prefer NOT to make errors, but know they occur. I even will go back to an old post if I notice something is incorrect.

The lack of punctuation and proper spelling are annoying. Even if someone is using their iPads or iPhones, then he/she should attempt to use correct grammar and spelling.

5. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

I either spell the wrd out (best to my knowledge lol) or most of the time i write in txt.

6. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I use my teenaged son to translate for me. :eek: Some post I do not even try to read.

7. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Now my question is: When you see a post that uses no capitalization or punctuation and has a ton of spelling and grammar mistakes - does that change your opinion of that person's intelligence? Does it make you less likely to accept what they say? Does it make you sometimes even pass that post by as not being worth your time? If so, why?

Not trying to be a butt, I'm trying to make a point with my son.

8. gnihcraes

gnihcraes New Member

Yes. My teens don't text enough yet to know any different. (yet)

We've actually received resumes attached to email submissions for jobs at my work with Text Speak in the emails. Those went immediately in the round file with no response from us. To help with the point to your son.

9. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

This was an issue stated on another forum where a member used the "Texting" and was mauled by the other members. To me it seems lazy and ignorant. They may not be, but try to use texting style to your boss or when you are applying for a job, you will be passed up or repremanded or lose that promotion. While texting or grammar errors are mostly acceptable on forums or to friends, in the working world it is unforgivable and can cause some harm. I am not perfect but strive to be as accurate as possible. Even in my work they have grammar seminars to teach proper grammar and the instructor strongly suggests not to use texting style when talking to superiors in the office.

10. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

+1, straight into the shredder.

11. I absolutely can not stand text type. When I see it immediate impressions happen.......

A- You are a dumb ass
    B- I will never answer your questions
    C- What you say has no bearing on ANYTHING
    D- You simply suck at life

12. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Just cant read it huh? Means your getting old lol. (laugh out loud) :)

I had to teach my parents how to read and write in text. They do just fine now.

13. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Oh and may i ad i do not write or type in text for job related stuff, taxes, any typr of paper work and etc. Jst online for like this or when im texting people.

14. Why doesn't this forum have a flipping birdie smiley?:p

I can read it just fine, just cant stand it anywhere but actual phone texts.:cool:

15. MikeDeltaRomeo

MikeDeltaRomeo New Member

Let's go back to English class. There's informal and formal compostions.

16. ZOMBIESLAYER

ZOMBIESLAYER New Member

A- OMG I guess im a dumb ass
    B- Don't care (most of ur answers
    Are "to each his own"anyway)
    C- refer to B
    D- Apparently you suck at life so bad
    You have to wear a helmet. :)

(J/k around. Eventually you will all find im pretty Damn funny! Hahaha)

17. :p bite me

18. ZOMBIESLAYER

ZOMBIESLAYER New Member

Hahaha :) you'll learn to love me.

19. Hamster

Hamster New Member

Gee.........this sure sounds familiar. There's one individual on another gun forum I belong to that consistently spells the word "the" as "teh". The funny thing is, a spell checker is built right into the message window and you don't even have to download anything like you do on this forum.

A few misspellings I can deal with as well as misplaced commas and such but what really bugs me is, when people don't put a space between the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next.
    Some of the short hand confuses me too. I know FTF, FTE, SBR but, there are still many I don't know what mean such as NSFW.

20. Keep those tendencies to your self.