Glock Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know everyone hates caliber debates but what is in your best opinion the best caliber for hunting/long distance shooting? 500-1000 yards give or take?

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Hunting what? I'm assuming were talking medium to bigger game at that distance and not vermin. I'd probably be more apt to take out a .338 Lapua for that range. On the low end of that range my Sig556 is still accurate with a scope, but anything over like 600m is a bit much.

·
Administrator
133,386 Posts
The specs as well as the military have proven that the bullet will travel 800 yards perfectly flat but I am not that good of a shot maby happy sniper can teach us. The 338 works great for me from 100 to 400 yards and that is all I have ever need. Although if the zombies ever I would like the same riffle with a 30 round mag

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The specs as well as the military have proven that the bullet will travel 800 yards perfectly flat but I am not that good of a shot maby happy sniper can teach us. The 338 works great for me from 100 to 400 yards and that is all I have ever need. Although if the zombies ever I would like the same riffle with a 30 round mag
Yeah I won't take a 1,000 yd Hunting shot because I do not feel it is Humane Too Many Variables. But Zombies at 1,000 give me a 338 either Ultra or Lapua! Don't care about humane with them!;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not saying I want to shoot animals at 1000 yards. I'm just wanting a gun that will reach out there and poke a thousand yards for fun and for a challenge but would also be OK for hunting... (deer/elk) mostly...

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Check into F-class shooting. A lot of those guys shoot .308s. You can do the same with a .270, 30-06, 300 win mag, 338, 6mm, etc. It just depends on how much you want to practice and develop a hand-load.
Look what police/military long range shooters use in today's times: .308, .338, and .50. Choose your poison!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Out of curiosity up to what distance can a. 223 be accurate/lethal?
Depends on the grain wt. The 55 grain fmj we shot was book speced at 460 meters, or around 500 yards, for consistent accurate hits. We were told that after 460 meters it would start to lose stability & start to keyhole.

Lethal? I would guess it would still be traveling fast enough to do lethal damage at 800 meters, it's a pretty fast round.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
7.62x54R ;)

D

·
289 Posts
You should check out Gun Werks out of Montana who runs 7mm mag, 300 mag, and the ultra versions of those rounds as well and take down brown bear, elk, and moose out to 1,000 yards repeatedly.
Also Christensen Arms out of Utah, they make a carbon fiber barrel for their guns for stability in varying temperatures, and typically run a 300 ultra out to 1,000 yards.
I think you'll find that for that size game the real question is what BC does your bullet have, cause to be honest a 308, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 mag will do just fine at that distance as long as you use bullets like the heavy grain Berger VLD bullets that have outstanding ballistic coefficients.
Just my .02

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
Out of curiosity up to what distance can a. 223 be accurate/lethal?
Sig says my Sig556 Classic Swat will be accurate up to 600 yards with an optic. But I'm not sure at what gr bullet. This is using 5.56mm over .223.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts