Going from IT to Law Enforcement

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SHVGlock22, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SHVGlock22

SHVGlock22 New Member

***Posted this into the wrong section earlier****

Decided a couple of weeks ago that I'm going to make a career switch from IT to Law Enforcement. Should have made this change a while back but oh well doing it now. SPD classes start in July which is right after my baby boy will be born (expected due date is July 4th)

Starting to get up at 5am doing some walking/joking and riding my bicycle about 2 miles a few times a week to make sure there will be no issues at the PT test. Next biggest obstacle I saw was going to be getting qualified shooting and since I have never owned a Glock I figured getting one and getting to know the weapon would be a good idea. There was also a Gun & Knife show this weekend so I took my first ever hand gun down there to trade it in. Met a guy who had just about every Glock model and other Mfg's you can think of there. Ended up getting a Gen 3 Glock 22 .40 caliber with a box TLR1 light 3 15rd mag's for 224.00 out the door (Trade was 200 toward my Taurus 24/7 Pro)

I guess it already started to pay off just trying to be a cop I told Ralph (gun broker) that I'm signed up for SPD and he ended up making this special deal for me.

That's about it folks, wish me luck and see you guys on the road if you happen to be in SHV in the future

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Good luck, and great deal on the Glock package.

What state you in?

3. SHVGlock22

SHVGlock22 New Member

Shreveport, Louisiana. Thanks bhale187

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum SHVGlock22 !!

Congrats to you and the wife...

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Welcome, SHVGlock22!

I have family out there!

...what is it with IT guys and guns? (*PS* I'm an IT geek myself :p)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. SHVGlock22

SHVGlock22 New Member

I should have always been an officer, I've heard that all my life. Now that I'll have a family I would really like to do something that I love 100% of the time. IT career's can end on a beautiful sunny day without notice.

7. Congrats on the child and welcome to the LEO family and Glock forum family!

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Depends on whose IT department....:cool:

9. Trotac

Trotac New Member

Congrats on the baby and on the decision to take a badge. Those that are "called" make far better officers than those just looking for a paycheck. I can only think of a few days in my entire career that I didn't pretty much love every minute of, I hope you find yours to be the same.

10. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

Congrats to you and your wife!!! Be safe and good luck Brother!!

11. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Something with IT people & things that go boom. Newbie gun nut here with 20+ years in the IT Field...

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Bocadan:

Welcome to the Forum!
    Post a *Hi there* in the "Introductions" section so everyone else can say hi back at ya!

*PS* I've been involved in IT since about 1983-1984....when "Windows" meant Windows 3.11 and LANs required Novell Netware ;)

13. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

That's about when I started. 1989 to be exact, when I was 16. I cut my teeth on Novell 2.x & 3.x, Lantastic and the dreaded coaxial networks with T connectors and terminators and such. Those were the days :)

I just did a "hi" at the intro section BTW, thanks for for the advice.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

OMG, I remember those!

Oh, and the annoying process of programming the PakRat (PK-232 serial radio interface!) UGH!

And having to carry around spare 75-Ohm terminators in my "kit", and tracing coax cables for high loss and things like water intrusion.

Oh, and "laptops" that were the size of briefcases and weighed like 50 pounds!

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

...meaning IT in Law Enforcement....

16. SHVGlock22

SHVGlock22 New Member

not far from home, grew up in good old Boca Raton :D Had to bail out as that place was getting to big for my liking, not an ideal place to raise kids with good old country values. But I still go home every year to visit mom's and hit up Deerfield beach.