Glock Firearms banner
281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
having had a g44 since feb, have run many brands of ammo thru it, glock says to use only 40gr ammo, no dice, mine only works on Remington golden bullets, have 3 other glocks not happy with this one, waiting for recall
Please refer to the table below...

Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

Note that the 'full power' Remington cartridges generated some of the highest bullet speeds of the test group.

Also, as I recall, the same Remington cartridges generated a rather noticeable muzzle flash... which means they're loaded with slightly more of a slower powder... which stretches out the recoil impulse... which helps cycle the pistol (especially, a 'marginal' pistol).

In my opinion, your pistol is suffering from 'excessive slide drag', as presented here...

Glock 44, post #131
https://www.glockforum.com/threads/glock-44.58505/page-7#post-1771011

... or an extremely 'leaky' fluted chamber...

Glock 44, post #109
https://www.glockforum.com/threads/glock-44.58505/page-6#post-1767293

... or both.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
443 Posts
Today was a beautiful day in NW PA, and I managed to get out of the office for an hour and a half for a quick range trip, the first range trip with my new Glock 44. Yes, I go it back in early Feb., but we had snow, then rain and mud, then snow... and my schedule and the weather combined to keep me from shooting the new 44.

It was a short trip, only 70 rounds from a mixed bag of various JHP and FMJ. It functioned flawlessly and is plenty accurate. From 7 yards 50/50 shots were 8s or better.

From 25 yards (freehand) I put 8 in a paper plate, and the other 12 would probably have scored on a silhouette target. (That's acceptable by my standards because I seldom shoot a hand gun from 25 yards out and I can barely see a paper plate from 25 yards.)

It was a fun, relaxing, brief first outing with my new toy. It does feel exactly like a Glock 19, except lighter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today was a beautiful day in NW PA, and I managed to get out of the office for an hour and a half for a quick range trip, the first range trip with my new Glock 44. Yes, I go it back in early Feb., but we had snow, then rain and mud, then snow... and my schedule and the weather combined to keep me from shooting the new 44.

It was a short trip, only 70 rounds from a mixed bag of various JHP and FMJ. It functioned flawlessly and is plenty accurate. From 7 yards 50/50 shots were 8s or better.

From 25 yards (freehand) I put 8 in a paper plate, and the other 12 would probably have scored on a silhouette target. (That's acceptable by my standards because I seldom shoot a hand gun from 25 yards out and I can barely see a paper plate from 25 yards.)

It was a fun, relaxing, brief first outing with my new toy. It does feel exactly like a Glock 19, except lighter.
Nice. I have to agree I love my G44 and find it a pleasure to shoot. It is well made and accurate. Glad you had time to shoot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Being a fairly organized person, I feel the need to explain the “mixed bag of various JHP and FMJ” mentioned in my post above.

Back a few years ago, when 22LR was hard to find, I was living in KY. During that 22LR ammo crunch, certain “industrious” gougers, fat on government cheese, would camp outside any place that sold ammo, and they would buy up all the 22LR ammo as soon as it was put on the shelves, while the people who work for a living were at work.

Then the gouging leeches would break up whatever packages of 22LR ammo they had purchased into very small quantities and sell it out of their cars, along the road, at ridiculous prices. (May they rot. Lord, forgive me.)

Like countless other working shooters, I bought ammo from those gougers. The ammo was typically sold in quantities of 50 to 100 rounds packaged in sandwich bags. When I purchased ammo of unknown origin from those people, I typically dumped their little bags into a big freezer bag. The ammo I pulled out today included a small bag marked “50 rds $5.99.” Talk about taking advantage of your fellow man!

Anyway, that is why I—and probably many of us—have bags of 22LR ammo or unknown origin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update: My G44 will still not work reliably with anything but CCI Mini Mags. Glock still will not do anything about it. They tell me to shoot it and it will "loosen up".
I recently purchased a new Glock G20 in 10mm. The fit between the "birds beak" and the firing pin safety plunger is bad and requires some fiddling to get the slide to go back on onto the gun after cleaning. Glock will not do anything about that either. They tell me to shoot it and it will "loosen up". That seems to be their standard reply.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Update: My G44 will still not work reliably with anything but CCI Mini Mags. Glock still will not do anything about it. They tell me to shoot it and it will "loosen up".
After posting several comments similar to the above in multiple threads, on April 17, 2020, you stated...

"I guess it's time to send it in to Glock."

What happened? o_O

The fit between the "birds beak" and the firing pin safety plunger is bad and requires some fiddling to get the slide to go back on onto the gun after cleaning.
What you describe is not unusual. Glock slides do indeed sometimes ‘stick’ as the firing pin safety engages the forward edge of the trigger bar vertical extension.

No problem... the ‘work around’ is simple.

Before attempting to install the slide, simply press the firing pin safety into the slide and ‘lock it down’ by moving the firing pin forward and releasing the safety.

With the firing pin safety ‘locked down’, the slide will install without issue. :D

Locking the firing pin safety down to install the slide is a technique that I routinely use, period. Glock slides simply install easier with the firing pin safety ‘out of the way’. ;)

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
...Like countless other working shooters, I bought ammo from those gougers.

...The ammo I pulled out today included a small bag marked “50 rds $5.99.”
And that's why you now have more ammunition on hand than seems to make sense; to avoid being in that position next time the crunch & gougers appear.

Right...? :cool:

Reactions: LElliott

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently purchased a new Glock G20 in 10mm. The fit between the "birds beak" and the firing pin safety plunger is bad and requires some fiddling to get the slide to go back on onto the gun after cleaning. Glock will not do anything about that either. They tell me to shoot it and it will "loosen up". That seems to be their standard reply.
I was having the same issue with my G44, with ammo. The CCI Mini Mag was the only ammo that worked correctly. But I have had my G44 since the first day they were available and weekly I put an average 200 rounds through it and cleaned it after each day shooting. Over the last month I am able to use most 22lr ammo. I use Winchester, Remington, CCI and others without any issue. It is important that you use it, break it in, and clean it after each use for it to break in properly. One thing I like to use that helps is cleaning it with Shooter Lube. It is synthetic and it appear to work better than any gun oil. Especially with Glocks, they do not like a lot of oil.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I was having the same issue with my G44, with ammo. The CCI Mini Mag was the only ammo that worked correctly. But I have had my G44 since the first day they were available and weekly I put an average 200 rounds through it and cleaned it after each day shooting. Over the last month I am able to use most 22lr ammo. I use Winchester, Remington, CCI and others without any issue. It is important that you use it, break it in, and clean it after each use for it to break in properly. One thing I like to use that helps is cleaning it with Shooter Lube. It is synthetic and it appear to work better than any gun oil. Especially with Glocks, they do not like a lot of oil.
Your experience is typical of a machine (pistol) that's 'sluggish' (slow slide speed) due to a worst-case-tolerance stack-up. That is, each individual part is within specification, but the marriage of the parts is a bit 'too tight' for the machine to operate properly.

There are three fixes...
  1. Replace the 'defective' machine (pistol) with an operational machine (pistol).
  2. Repair (swap out parts until) the machine (pistol) operates properly.
  3. Operate the machine (pistol) to 'wear in' the parts that are 'too tight' until the machine (pistol) operates properly.
Obviously, Glock encourages option 3.

That said, in my opinion, your recommendation is very good. :)

Happy shooting! :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
After posting several comments similar to the above in multiple threads, on April 17, 2020, you stated...

"I guess it's time to send it in to Glock."

What happened? o_O

What you describe is not unusual. Glock slides do indeed sometimes ‘stick’ as the firing pin safety engages the forward edge of the trigger bar vertical extension.

No problem... the ‘work around’ is simple.

Before attempting to install the slide, simply press the firing pin safety into the slide and ‘lock it down’ by moving the firing pin forward and releasing the safety.

With the firing pin safety ‘locked down’, the slide will install without issue. :D
I have owned numerous Glocks since the early nineties and I have never seen the issue before, but I was able to quickly figure it out. But, I don't think the average gun owner would figure it out, nor should they have to with a quality product that claims "perfection". The front of the "birds beak" is too square on my gun and no amount of shooting will round it off. It should have never made it through quality control and Glock should replace it.
Locking the firing pin safety down to install the slide is a technique that I routinely use, period. Glock slides simply install easier with the firing pin safety ‘out of the way’. ;)

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I have owned numerous Glocks since the early nineties and I have never seen the issue before, but I was able to quickly figure it out. But, I don't think the average gun owner would figure it out, nor should they have to with a quality product that claims "perfection".
Be that as it may...

The front of the "birds beak" is too square on my gun and no amount of shooting will round it off. It should have never made it through quality control and Glock should replace it.
If the trigger bar is defective, given that it's a mass-produced metal stamping, there should be a multitude of defective trigger bars 'in the wild'... and Glock should be well aware of the problem.

My guess is that if you send Glock Customer Service a picture of the 'defective' trigger bar vertical extension, politely explain your complaint, and they agree that the trigger bar is indeed defective, they'll simply send you a new trigger assembly (free of charge).

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
The best Glocks now a days are the Glock clones, if one is half way handy with hand tools one can crank out a dandy clone in all calibers with the exception of 22 lr and 45 GAP. You will end up with something much closer to perfection than some of what makes it out of a Glock factory.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The best Glocks now a days are the Glock clones, if one is half way handy with hand tools one can crank out a dandy clone in all calibers with the exception of 22 lr and 45 GAP. You will end up with something much closer to perfection than some of what makes it out of a Glock factory.
Or not... with the exception of the frame, clones are produced from the same sources of 'drop-in' parts used to manufacture the mass-produced Glock product lines plus a myriad of other unknown sources of mass-produced 'drop-in' parts.

In reality, as evidenced by numerous Internet postings, it seems that the worst-case tolerance stack-up significantly worsens... causing even more problems.

Just sayin'... :)

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Be that as it may...

If the trigger bar is defective, given that it's a mass-produced metal stamping, there should be a multitude of defective trigger bars 'in the wild'... and Glock should be well aware of the problem.

My guess is that if you send Glock Customer Service a picture of the 'defective' trigger bar vertical extension, politely explain your complaint, and they agree that the trigger bar is indeed defective, they'll simply send you a new trigger assembly (free of charge).

Best regards,

Bob
I have back ordered a trigger bar assembly from Brownells and plan to do battle with Glock customer service after the new assembly is in the pistol. I also plan to keep extra parts around in case the rest of the country becomes as crazy as California's banning the sale of gun parts.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I have back ordered a trigger bar assembly from Brownells and plan to do battle with Glock customer service after the new assembly is in the pistol.
The 'plan to do battle with Glock customer service' is unnecessary... I'm quite confident they'll happily replace a truly defective trigger bar assembly. :)

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Or not... with the exception of the frame, clones are produced from the same sources of 'drop-in' parts used to manufacture the mass-produced Glock product lines plus a myriad of other unknown sources of mass-produced 'drop-in' parts.

In reality, as evidenced by numerous Internet postings, it seems that the worst-case tolerance stack-up significantly worsens... causing even more problems.

Just sayin'... :)

Best regards,

Bob
Bob

Correct on stacking tolerances with Glock OEM parts,I have yet to build a P 80 with any OEM part other than the trigger mechanism housing and some springs .

There is a company called Grey Ghost Precision that manufactures parts the way they were in a bygone era. All machined from bar stock billet stainless steel, best of all none of their parts need polishing or cleaning up.
Their strikers are a work of art by them selves, they are that good even as far as dimensions. The only part I have had to adjust is the shark fin on a trigger bar for higth and not by much. Pricing of complete slide parts is 89.95 and when they are about 20.00 less when on sale, to me they are so worth it compared to OEM,if I ever replace a OEM striker it will be with a GGP striker.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
There is a company called Grey Ghost Precision that manufactures parts the way they were in a bygone era. All machined from bar stock billet stainless steel, best of all none of their parts need polishing or cleaning up.
Cool! :)

Thanks for the 'heads up'. :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 'plan to do battle with Glock customer service' is unnecessary... I'm quite confident they'll happily replace a truly defective trigger bar assembly. :)

Best regards,

Bob
Glock customer service has already refused to replace it. I plan to ask Glock again and then return it to Brownells (who have excellent customer service unlike Glock). BTW: The gun will not reassemble at all without depressing the firing pin safety plunger and pushing on the striker. This leads me to believe that Glock knowingly shipped a defective gun with that flaw.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Glock customer service has already refused to replace it.
Please post a picture clearly depicting the defect.

For example...

Sculpture Artifact Art Metal Font

Best regards,

Bob

281 - 300 of 308 Posts