Glock Firearms banner
261 - 280 of 308 Posts

·
Gunslinger
G27
10,651 Posts
Since Glock was trying to emulate the G19 they did a good job. The feel in the hand is the same except the 44 is a little lighter. The cycling of the slide is just as difficult and it has about the same trigger pull. Since it is a 22lr I expected easier cycling and a better trigger. Basically it is a G19 in 22lr which is apparently what Glock wanted. It is a good training pistol I guess. I would definitely say that if you can shoot the 44 you can shoot the 19.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Magazine received... modifications complete.

View attachment 194857

View attachment 194859

Bench testing indicates that the slots 'do their job'.

Range testing is planned for Friday.

We'll see.

Best regards,

Bob
It appears that you machined the slot on both sides of the magazine. The other side of the magazine has a ledge. Did that cause any problems? What are the dimensions of the slot? It looks to be approximately .125". I have over 2500 rounds through my G44 and it will only function with CCI Mini Mags and won't even slide lock with those. It will not work reliably with Federal 36, 38, 40 gr. , Remington 36 gr, and Winchester 36. Glock tells me to keep shooting it and it will loosen up.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
It appears that you machined the slot on both sides of the magazine.
Correct.

The other side of the magazine has a ledge. Did that cause any problems?
No.

What are the dimensions of the slot?
0.125" x 0.900"

The slots start 0.250" below the feed lips and are centered 0.1875" from the rear surface of the magazine.

I have over 2500 rounds through my G44 and it will only function with CCI Mini Mags and won't even slide lock with those. It will not work reliably with Federal 36, 38, 40 gr. , Remington 36 gr, and Winchester 36. Glock tells me to keep shooting it and it will loosen up.
I addressed your comments here...

Glock 44, first 220 kabooms.
https://www.glockforum.com/threads/glock-44-first-220-kabooms.58491/page-2#post-1753749

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
...Furthermore, 'cheap' 22 LR cartridges are notoriously unreliable. 'Failure to fire' is common because of voids in the primer paste around the rim of the case. Through the years, in all but a few of the many 'failure to fire' cartridges I've experienced, simply reorienting the cartridge so that a different part of the rim is struck by the firing pin 'fixes' the problem...
I've seen the same thing, and the same fix, as you describe. Wasn't there someone who made a dual-pronged firing pin on their .22LR gun back years ago to address this issue? I don't know if I'm remembering it right, but I'm thinking the original Henry .44 rimfire rifle used a two-pronged firing pin as well. Seems like a dual-prong firing pin would be a relatively easy thing from an engineering standpoint, that might make a manufacturer's gun a lot more attractive to the scads of us rimfire shooters who mostly use bulk stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I've seen the same thing, and the same fix, as you describe. Wasn't there someone who made a dual-pronged firing pin on their .22LR gun back years ago to address this issue? I don't know if I'm remembering it right, but I'm thinking the original Henry .44 rimfire rifle used a two-pronged firing pin as well. Seems like a dual-prong firing pin would be a relatively easy thing from an engineering standpoint, that might make a manufacturer's gun a lot more attractive to the scads of us rimfire shooters who mostly use bulk stuff.
Yes, I seem to recall the 'dual-strike' firing pins as well... but not which firearms had them.

Personally, I don't see why they couldn't be used. To me, it makes more sense to do that than to have to manually turn the cartridge.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally got a chance to got out and shoot my G44 for the second time. The G44 is a blast to shoot. Today I used the following ammo.

CCI Mini Mag 40gr RN 100 rounds no issues
CCI Stinger 32gr HP 50 rounds no issues
Winchester 37gr HP 50 rounds with 1 FTE
American Eagle 38gr HP 50 rounds with 1 FTF reloaded in the next mag and fired as it should
Armscor 36gr HV HP 50 rounds no issues
Federal 36gr HP Copper Plated 50 rounds no issues
Federal Auto Match 40gr lead nose 50 ROUNDS NO ISSUES.

Over all I am very happy on the performance of the G44. Very accuate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It appears that you machined the slot on both sides of the magazine. The other side of the magazine has a ledge. Did that cause any problems? What are the dimensions of the slot? It looks to be approximately .125". I have over 2500 rounds through my G44 and it will only function with CCI Mini Mags and won't even slide lock with those. It will not work reliably with Federal 36, 38, 40 gr. , Remington 36 gr, and Winchester 36. Glock tells me to keep shooting it and it will loosen up.
Glock is correct when they said keep using and it will loosen up. I have been shooting the G44 since the day it first came out, several times a week. I used cheap a Federal bulk and it had issues. My daughter purchased the G44 and at first the same issue with cheap ammo. We shoot together weekly and decided to use up the Federal bulk and then go to CCI mini mag. But, all of a sudden the Federal bulk ammo had no issues. I noticed the more we use the G44 the better it gets. We tried other cheap ammo and we have had no issues except maybe a misfire here or there. That can happen with the best ammo. My only issue is the 10 round capacity and I do not like the standard sight. That I plan to change. As of today, which in an hour I plan to meet my daughter at the range, we will be shooting the rest of our cheap ammo. I will assume it will have no issues since we have had zero in the last 4-5 times at the range. Hope this helps. My suggestion, keep shooting it and clean the gun after every shoot. Also, I use synthetic oil, Shooter Lube, the cleaner- lube is great with Glocks. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
How did you shoot ? I'd like to know your distances and see your targets !!
Today, I practiced 'double taps' and 'transitions' with four 2" x 2" square targets on the corners of a 13" x 13" square grid and four 2" x 2" square targets on the corners of a 12" x 12" diamond grid at 10 feet (shown below). I shot with two hands, left handed (my non-dominant side), sent 300 rounds down range, and re-taped the blue targets every 100 rounds.

World Triangle Art Wood Font

My average times were...
  • Time to first shot (from position 2 of the four-step draw): 2.0 seconds
  • Double tap split time: 0.35 seconds
  • Transition time (from target to target): 0.65 seconds
  • Total time: 5.35 seconds
It was a good practice. :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Sounds like fun. I have not gotten down to timing things yet.

Thanks for showing us.

Looks like you tend a little high and right ?
You're very welcome.

High and right?

Yep! Still working that issue. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
having had a g44 since feb, have run many brands of ammo thru it, glock says to use only 40gr ammo, no dice, mine only works on Remington golden bullets, have 3 other glocks not happy with this one, waiting for recall

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
... glock says to use only 40gr ammo...
Well... actually Glock says...

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

... have 3 other glocks not happy with this one, waiting for recall
Personally, I believe the design is fine (except for the 'missing' magazine slots).

Please refer to...

Glock 44, post #107
https://www.glockforum.com/threads/glock-44.58505/page-6#post-1767145

In my opinion, 'problem pistols' should be addressed under warranty and repaired as necessary.

GLOCK WARRANTY
https://us.glock.com/en/own/warranty

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
having had a g44 since feb, have run many brands of ammo thru it, glock says to use only 40gr ammo, no dice, mine only works on Remington golden bullets, have 3 other glocks not happy with this one, waiting for recall
I too am waiting for a recall especially in view of the current shortage of 22 ammunition due to panic buying. What is really annoying is that Glock knew there were problems when they released the gun. The operators manual acknowledges that the magazines must be loaded in a special way in order to be reliable. Also, the manual states that certain ammunition will not work, but the promotional release said the G44 was extensively tested with ALL available ammunition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too am waiting for a recall especially in view of the current shortage of 22 ammunition due to panic buying. What is really annoying is that Glock knew there were problems when they released the gun. The operators manual acknowledges that the magazines must be loaded in a special way in order to be reliable. Also, the manual states that certain ammunition will not work, but the promotional release said the G44 was extensively tested with ALL available ammunition.
Well if all they said was tested will all available ammunition then they didn’t necessarily mislead. It was sad in the first place this was their big release and even worse it doesn’t work.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
What is really annoying is that Glock knew there were problems when they released the gun. The operators manual acknowledges that the magazines must be loaded in a special way in order to be reliable.
In my opinion, that's a valid point.

Given the number of 'other' magazines that load and feed well, it's odd (to me) that the G44 magazine issues weren't corrected during its development.

Hopefully, Glock will redesign the magazine and exchange them at no charge (as they did the G42/G43 magazines, circa 2016).

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I have conversion kits for G19 and G26, but love the idea of an actual .22LR Glock gun. Hope they get things ironed out one of these days and will very likely buy one when they do; but until then will stick with my perfect-so-far TX-22.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have conversion kits for G19 and G26, but love the idea of an actual .22LR Glock gun. Hope they get things ironed out one of these days and will very likely buy one when they do; but until then will stick with my perfect-so-far TX-22.
What brand of conversions do you have? How do they work with bulk Federal 36 grain and bulk Remington 36gr? I had an Advantage arms conversion that would not even work reliably with CCI Mini Mags so I sold it.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
My glock conversions are both Advantage Arms. The G19 unit is the more reliable of the two. Runs 90% and higher with all the rounds I've run thru it; including federal bulk pak, american eagle, and champion loads.

The G26 unit is more finicky. It does run 90% or better with minimags, federal game-shok, and Aguila 'super extra', and winchester's 'black copper' load. But it doesn't like federal champion (86%), federal 36-grain bulk hp stuf (77%), or american eagle (60%).

Fwiw, AA specifically lists remington thunderbolts as a round NOT to use in their kits, but all four of mine (two AA glock, one TacSol 1911, and one Ciener AR kit) really like it. It may have a harder, more 'jolting' recoil impulse and that may be why they don't recommend it; but it functions 90% or better in the guns & conversions I've used it in.

No way to know how another identical unit would do; it may love rounds that mine hates or vice-versa. Just have to test & see in the specific unit. That said, I've never owned a gun or conversion unit that minimags don't run 100% in.

261 - 280 of 308 Posts