Glock Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is best for you? The Steyr is favored by most special forces teams.
Type: Double Action
Chamber: 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum
Weight: 845 g empty; 1285 g loaed
Length: 216 mm
Barrel length: 136 mm
Capacity: 18 rounds

The GB is a blowback-operated, gas-retarded blowback semi auto pistol. It uses some of the hot powder gases, feed from the barrel into the front part of the slide, to slow down the retraction of the slide before the bullet leave the barrel. This scheme was developed by German engineer Barnitzke at the end of the WW2. The gas brake is formed by the barrel, its bushing and the slide.
The trigger of the GB is of double action design, with the slide mounted decocker lever. GB also featured firing pin block that unlocks the firing pin only when the trigger is completely depressed.
The frame and the slide is made from carbon steel with special high-strenght finish. Barrel has polygonal rifling and is chrome lined, and solidly attached to the frame.
The sights are fixed and featured white-dot inserts (one in the front sight blade and two - around the rear sights notch).
Some early GBs were manufactured with steel grip panels, with all the rest manufactured with plastic checkered grips.

I'm thinging Glock due to parts available and disasemblement is easier. Heres a link to help you with the Steyr-GB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CWOKqmmzHI0

·
Glockin’ since 1993
38,856 Posts
They stopped making the Steyr GB years ago. They were never popular in the US and I never heard of American forces of any kind using them. The Steyr M9/40/.357 replaced that model. I have a Steyr M9-A1 and have done a range report on it here on the forum. The Steyr M-9 is very similar to the Glock although it looks radically different.
Look up my range report.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a group of 4 Steyr gb 9mm's They all preform flawlessly. I have collected them since 1984 and still consider them the most accurate semi auto handguns i have ever owned. Of course it is a matter of preference but i have had the typical (mine shoots better) argument at the range with many Glock owners and all have a new opinion. Im a glock fan as well but these are just a great design and have wonderful aesthetics . It is a bit large for concealed carry but it was not designed to be as such. It was a open carry military and police weapon and it does its job to utter perfection. For you guys having trouble cleaning try using a little molybendum paste on the trouble areas before shooting. No more cleaning problems. Also the only malfunction ive seen with any gb in good care was a tossed extractor. That happens almost only when the extractor cavity is not cleaned in combination with a fat reload making the extractor work harder. Ps the gun still runs without the extractor or at leat mine did. Learned my lesson and no more hiccups. With all that being said it hits the target! I like it and its a damn sexy 9 !

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was what one might call "an early adopter" of the GB because it represented a host of really neat innovations like the "gas locked" system, large frame and long barrel, polygon rifling, and DA/SA trigger system. It also held an amazing number of rounds with a standard fit magazine!

I wish I had kept it....but being young and like most gun enthusiasts I traded it away for some newer love interest. This is why today I never sell nor trade any of my guns...because as "stale" as they may feel today, in a few years I'll experience a new awakening and desire to handle them

·
Registered
42 Posts
Simply Beautiful!

I was what one might call "an early adopter" of the GB because it represented a host of really neat innovations like the "gas locked" system, large frame and long barrel, polygon rifling, and DA/SA trigger system. It also held an amazing number of rounds with a standard fit magazine!

I wish I had kept it....but being young and like most gun enthusiasts I traded it away for some newer love interest. This is why today I never sell nor trade any of my guns...because as "stale" as they may feel today, in a few years I'll experience a new awakening and desire to handle them

I'd never seen one of these and I'm not new to handguns. (Been a retired LE longer than I worked) My favorite of all 9mm pistols is and I think will remain my
favorite is the HK P7 series. But this image is one beautiful pistol!
Thanks for posting it.
Poli Viejo

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Steyr is favored by most special forces teams
Special forces teams use handguns as secondary weapons, they don't care about resale value or customer service when needed or holster availability, or even cost, because WE the taxpayer pay for it. This doesn't relate to the paying, out of the fray customer. They don't have cover during use in combat, someone else paying and repairing and replacing parts, and/or guns if failure becomes an issue. Everything special forces does not translate to Joe Desk Jockey or make it better...

I am sure they also favor a personal Lamborghini as well if available...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts