Glock Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Springfield xd fan and owner for 4 years. Recently looking at getting a new firearm an have been drawn to the G21 gen 4 or sf. I know alot of good and bad on both firearms. Currently I carry a Springfield xd 40 subcompact as an everyday carry. I have been wanting something not to replace my everyday carry but to have for home protection and just play around with. I know Glock is a superb firearm and have shot a few in various calibers. My questions is this. Caliber of choice? And model of choice? Remember I am a Springfield fan.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Not really a one vs the other issue for me. I have a XDM 4.5 in 45acp. And a G21 Gen4. Both good guns, & I shoot them both the same. I like to carry the XDM, and leave the Glock for home. The XDM is narrower in the slide, and with no Taclight/Laser mounted, it tucks a bit better than the wider Glock 21. They are both full size of course, and most people prefer a compact, or sub compact for carry. But I carried a 1911 Colt Series 80 since '89, so the XDM feels fine, and is 6 ounces lighter than the Colt. fully loaded. The G21 is set up with a Taclight/Laser combo & works just fine for home defense, & outside at night walking the property. I do shoot the XDM more, but thats only because it came with a match barrel that handles lead. They both work well, & I have had no issues with either one. I still take the Colt out too, nothing against it either, just a bit of age on it, so it needs more rest.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
I thought my Glocks had bad triggers until I got an XD45. Man, talk about a long trigger and a long reset. I know you can get a kit to shorten things up a bit but wow, factory XD trigger is a lot worse then any Glock trigger that I've had and actually, with the 3.5# LWD connector and NY1 Trigger Spring with a coil cut off of the inner spring the trigger on my Glock is actually pretty nice IMHO.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I thought my Glocks had bad triggers until I got an XD45. Man, talk about a long trigger and a long reset. I know you can get a kit to shorten things up a bit but wow, factory XD trigger is a lot worse then any Glock trigger that I've had and actually, with the 3.5# LWD connector and NY1 Trigger Spring with a coil cut off of the inner spring the trigger on my Glock is actually pretty nice IMHO.
I finally had a Chance to shoot an XD and boy was I disappointed! I agree with the trigger being bad. I was all over the place with the XD. I also didn't like the grip. Too thin for me. So for me it will be a Glock or a 1911! And maybe a S&W pocket revolver;)

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
I had an XDM 4.5 9mm bi tone. The XDM trigger was nice but a little long. I don't know if the XD's have this but on the XDM.....that ridiculous striker retaining roll pin in the slide is the sole reason I sold it. Man I hated that thing. Broke a couple of them while training with it plus it was a ridiculous thing to deal with when cleaning the gun.

After owning both the XDM 4.5 and the 17. I completely prefer 9mm in the G17. I shoot other calibers but in 9mm the 17 is my choice even over my 19.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My first hand gun was an XD 9. Loved it. I was used to the long trigger pull and reset and the grip feel was a lot like the 1911, which I loved. Then I bought a Gen 3 19. Better trigger pull and rest. Much more accurate and a lot easier to take down and clean. No need to use a hammer and punch to disassemble the slide. Only time my XD was shot is when a buddy wants to train and doesnt have a hand gun. I actually just sold the XD too and will be picking up a 17.

Caliber is all personal preference. I chose 9mm because it'd cheaper. Don't really care to spend all that extra money for a conversion barrel. And I don't care about stopping power. No matter what caliber it is, from .22LR to .45 ACP... No one wants to be shot by any of them. Plus there's always a failure drill, 2 to the body and 1 to the head.

So to sum up my long rant. It depends on your use and what your comfortable with and can afford.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Your first choice, Glock 21, is a great choice.
Or the G17 like others have suggested.

I'll tell you something: once you go Glock, you'll get a few of them. So, it doesn't matter which one you get first. You will get many more!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts